Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2007
God's country
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC AUFC
1. Make something resembling a move when in trouble
2. win a game after trailing at half and 3 qtr time.

Re: Bicley does things Craig could never do

1. Make something resembling a move when in trouble
2. win a game after trailing at half and 3 qtr time.

That's the main one. Craig I believe only ever won one or at most 2 after trailing at 3 quarter time so it was a massive win for the club.

Also second week in a row that we have kicked over 100 points.

Great to see.

Still don't know if I want him over Neeld especially after how poorly Port have gone with Primus. Just hope we go through the right process.

-Ben

That's the main one. Craig I believe only ever won one or at most 2 after trailing at 3 quarter time so it was a massive win for the club.

Also second week in a row that we have kicked over 100 points.

Great to see.

Still don't know if I want him over Neeld especially after how poorly Port have gone with Primus. Just hope we go through the right process.

-Ben

Agree with this, but am starting to warm to Bicks. Coming from a position of NO WAY.

BIG TEST next week.

Craig was so regid in his structures. Good to see change.

Re Bickley..we should definately go through a process to get the best coach.

He still has

Geelong
Gold Coast
Richmond
West Coast

to come so he still has a bit of work ahead to get the top job

i thought Stiffy has been moved into the forwardline before? anyway, he was magnificent...that contested mark he took against 2 opponents - i never would've expected that from him, being such a small player and not really the marking forward type. kudos to Bicks for the changeup (luckily it wasn't too late), and kudos to Stiffy for that great mark and conversion.

I'm waiting for someone to try and tell me that the Johnock move did not have an influence on the result of the game.

Apparently Dangerfield to the midfield, Walker up forward and Reilly to half back didnt have an influence last week either.....:rolleyes:

Well done, Bicks. That was a coaching victory - plain and simple. Something we're not used to at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the mail from inside the club all along was Bicks was a very smart operator and when you think about it he may very well be the man for the job. Bicks was captain remember in Adelaides most successful era under Malcolm Blight and he may very well know the secret to success in modern footy.

Any man who played in the same team with players who made their living playing with flare and purity must know what it takes especially when you come out of it a back to back premiership captain.

You dont play with such players like Darren and Andrew Jarman, Andrew McLeod and of course the great Tony Modra and walk away an over restrictive defensive nut.

Bicks would bring the same sort of stuff as the Scott Brothers. They have tasted success at the top level, played with and against modern footies greatest players and most importantly played under some of the best coaches of the modern era.

While intitially without thinking about Bicks appointment and thinking about what he can bring to the table I was against him coaching next year. After today I am convinced he could do the job. Whether he is the best candidate remains to be seen but its clear from what I can see that the players like him.

After today I am convinced he could do the job. .

Still a long way to go. What he has given us though, is a glimpse of what a paradigm shift in direction can achieve just on match day - be it from him or someone else.

Whether he is the best candidate remains to be seen but its clear from what I can see that the players like him.

They liked Craigy too. ;)

pretty sure johncock has been moved foward under craig before. mainly when he was being tagged. nothing revloutionary from a coaching perspective i thought. Just seemed like the crows actually played with a bit of "fight" in the last quarter, as oppossed to giving up like they normally do when down at 3 qtr time.

He still has

Geelong
Gold Coast
Richmond
West Coast

to come so he still has a bit of work ahead to get the top job

Very pleased with the fact that we put up a fight whether we had got over the line or not in the end. Still worried about the Primus scenario......Bicks gets to coach against the other 4 of the bottom 5 in his 6 games in the job. His record will be embellished by that alone.

Very pleased with the fact that we put up a fight whether we had got over the line or not in the end. Still worried about the Primus scenario......Bicks gets to coach against the other 4 of the bottom 5 in his 6 games in the job. His record will be embellished by that alone.

Obviously the efforts against Geelong and WCE are going to largely determine Bickleys future as Senior Coach. I don't expect to win either given the form of both clubs, but anything better than a 5 goal loss against both and a seriously competitive effort, will give Bickley a fair shot at the inside running.

I reckon the whole thing with Stiffy going forward is, while it's not new, and Craig did do it, he actually went forward and had an impact.

When Craig had put him there before, the game was long gone from our reach, and he only seemed to be put forward for the sake of being seen as making a change.

Well, that's what it looked like to me, at least.

At last some respect for one of the AFC's true legends, some of the negativity and comments re Mark over the last few weeks/months have been nothing short of disgraceful.....some AFC supporters certainly have short memories!!!!

Is he the right man to take the AFC forward???

The jury's still out on that one...but give the man the respect he deserves, he's at least EARNT that much!!!

More than pretty sure - absolutely certain. Its the timing of the move that is important.

This is the point. Often these sorts of moves would happen when the game was already lost.

The interesting thing is you could look at that third quartes and think we started getting on top in clearances and in general play, we smashed them in inside 50's but our efficiency going forward was ordinary.

I reckon a Craig approach at 3 quarter time would have been to focus so much on the positives and have the attitude that we're on top in all the "stats" and that we just need to stick with what we're doing and improve our forward entries and we'll be able to get over the line.

It was nice to instead have the approach of thinking how can we capitalise on what we're doing well and what changes can we make to improve what we're doing poorly and recognise that in order to win, that certain moves needed to be made.

The other thing I really like about the Stiffy move (acknowledging that it has been done before) was that in recent times, usually the move that is made is Danger forward - which in many ways is robbing Peter to pay paul - we have him in the forward line but lose our midfield clearance grunt to actually get the ball to him. Bickley recognised that he needed to keep the midfield group that were winning the clearances together in the centre, and instead threw Johncock forward, who wasn't giving us anywhere near as much drive as he usually does.

It was a small move but I think there was a whole lot more to it that showed some very good proactive coaching.

Still not convinced Bicks is the right man for the job - it was only Port and Brisbane after all, but it was just nice to see something different from the coaching box.

Moving Stiffy to the forward line was the matchwinning move.

Would never have been considered under Craigy, as it costs us drive from HB. But when the game was to be won Bicks took the calculated risk.
Say what?!

Thats a classic Craig move. If we are getting belted, its Johncock to the forward line, Dangerfield from forward line to midfield for a bit, Tippett into the ruck and Stevens as a loose man in defence.

Those were the Craig moves when we are in trouble. The difference today was not that moving Johncock to forward line was something new, but it was that we moved it on at all costs which gave him a chance to do something. When Craig throws Johncock forward, our ball movement was still stagnant and there was a lot of backwards chipping and holding on to the ball.

Under Bicks we are playing on at all costs, kicking to a contest and backing ourselves in and when you play in such manner, throwing Johncock forward can be a match winning move because of his ability to produce something out of nothing when given half a chance which is what we allowed him to do because we moved the ball quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back