Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Bicley does things Craig could never do

Say what?!

Thats a classic Craig move. If we are getting belted, its Johncock to the forward line, Dangerfield from forward line to midfield for a bit, Tippett into the ruck and Stevens as a loose man in defence.

Those were the Craig moves when we are in trouble. The difference today was not that moving Johncock to forward line was something new, but it was that we moved it on at all costs which gave him a chance to do something. .

No, this isn't quite right. We were dominating the inside 50s in the third quarter too, but not getting value for money. We needed a spark and a mis-match up there to capitalise our forward entries. Stiffy proved to be that mis-match for the Lions. It was an attacking, risk-taking, and ultimately match-winning manouvre. I just can't imagine Neil moving Stiffy there when we were already on top across the park. Sorry.

Big difference.

No, this isn't quite right. We were dominating the inside 50s in the third quarter too, but not getting value for money. We needed a spark and a mis-match up there to capitalise our forward entries. Stiffy proved to be that mis-match for the Lions. It was an attacking, risk-taking, and ultimately match-winning manouvre. I just can't imagine Neil moving Stiffy there when we were already on top across the park. Sorry.

Big difference.

At the end of the day WHO CARES. Both coach's have done it in the past only this time it worked. who cares on the difference. WE WON THE GAME

The 2 things that stick out to me are...

VB - 2 games in the guts 2 best on's....bicks has played him almost exclusively in the midfield and the result have shone thru...Craig never allowed VB to settle, half back, wing, guts, run with....probably why he stagnated so bad...I know only 2 games but great sign none the less...

Tex - once again only 2 games, could be pure coincidence but the shackles just look like they have been released...he excites even more now that I know he ain't goin anywhere...

At the end of the day WHO CARES. Both coach's have done it in the past only this time it worked. who cares on the difference. WE WON THE GAME
Slippery Pete does make a valid point. Its not the move thats different, its the timing of it that matters.

The move was pro-active rather than reactive which is the big difference. Sometimes pro-active moves don't work out but at least you give it a try when are reactive moves hardly every work

At the ground, we felt we were playing very ordinary but amazingly were still in it with half a quarter to play. Stiffy move was good, but as others have said, has been done before. The thing for me that was frustrating was seeing Vince as loose man and really not having an impact. But once we moved to man on man - something Craig was loathe to do, we got on top. It was this move rather than the stiffy one that won the game IMO.

The move was definitely pro-active, which is to Bickley's credit. However, I think he's a bit off the mark in crediting Johncock alone with our improved forward line performance in the final quarter.

What really changed in the final quarter was that Brisbane went off the boil, allowing our midfielders the time & space to raise their eyes and look for a target - rather than just bombing blindly in a mad panic, just as they had been doing for the previous 1 1/2 quarters.

Moving Johncock forward probably was the game winning move, but it wouldn't have changed anything were it not for other events further up the field.

The move was definitely pro-active, which is to Bickley's credit. However, I think he's a bit off the mark in crediting Johncock alone with our improved forward line performance in the final quarter.

What really changed in the final quarter was that Brisbane went off the boil, allowing our midfielders the time & space to raise their eyes and look for a target - rather than just bombing blindly in a mad panic, just as they had been doing for the previous 1 1/2 quarters.

Moving Johncock forward probably was the game winning move, but it wouldn't have changed anything were it not for other events further up the field.
No doubt Brisbane went off the boil BUT....

We dominated the inside 50s but still couldn't capitalise on it. We were smashing them in clearances and center clearances but just could not kick the goals where as Brisbane would kill us off our turnovers (of which we had shitloads).

Making the move mean that we had another X factor in the forward line. A type of player that can create something out of nothing and the more players like that you have down there and provided you get it down there quick enough and often enough, things will eventually go your way

Making the move mean that we had another X factor in the forward line. A type of player that can create something out of nothing and the more players like that you have down there and provided you get it down there quick enough and often enough, things will eventually go your way

Exactly. Johncock created three defining moments. The first goal of the quarter. Then the incredible evasion and kick to Walker who put us within a kick. Then obviously, the last mark and goal.

That's three key moments in a game we won by less than a kick.

He was the difference. He doesn't go forward, we don't win.

Make no mistake - you can notch that win up to Mark Bickley.

Funny thread.

People, can we please remember that we scraped through against Brisbane. Yes, Brisbane! And they fell over in the last quarter. It was almost like they had no incentive to win (notwithstanding that tanking doesn't happen).

Seriously, how can we give huge wraps to Bicks for switching Stiffy forward, which is hardly a left field move, and yet ignore our awful skills by foot and poor decision making.

Nothing has changed under Bicks. We're still ordinary. Scotty Thompson carries our midfield. Everyone else is up and down horribly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny thread.

People, can we please remember that we scraped through against Brisbane. Yes, Brisbane! And they fell over in the last quarter. It was almost like they had no incentive to win (notwithstanding that tanking doesn't happen).

Seriously, how can we give huge wraps to Bicks for switching Stiffy forward, which is hardly a left field move, and yet ignore our awful skills by foot and poor decision making.

Nothing has changed under Bicks. We're still ordinary. Scotty Thompson carries our midfield. Everyone else is up and down horribly.
Did you think we were all of a sudden going to stop being ordinary. What people are happy about us seeing the difference in game plane, the different moves to see players in positions that suit them better and most importantly the ability to make proactive moves during the game to try and go in the front foot and win the game.

Funny thread.

Brisbane slaughtered us earlier in the year. Yes, Brisbane!

At AAMI :eek:

Has anyone ever thought that the forward line might be going better because bicks isnt in charge there anymore and has more involvement with the midfield?

What has felt different in watching the boys under bicks is that the moves he has made build confidence in winning the game.. not confidence that we should be competitive.

It's not about working hard and persisting and it will come.

It's about giving the team hope and something to inspire a belief in winning the game. Rather than expecting them to be mentally tough enough to produce consistent competitive footy.

Good work bicks.

The only thing stopping him from being a good candidate is whether he believes he is good enough or if he wants it. If he wants it and believes he is good enough.. then I think he would be. WHich is far from being the best candidate of course. I hope he continues to show the feel for the game he has and puts his hat in the ring.

I think some people need to take a cold shower :)

Bicks has coached us to 2 wins against teams at the bottom of the ladder and yes, some things have changed but none of these were rocket science. That doesn't suddenly make him the best man for the job when compared to all the options.

I think the club is taking a very good, professional approach to the selection process and that includes expressing public reservations about Bicks getting the gig - reservations that were probably aimed at hosing down the inevitable fapping that would go on as soon as we won a game or two.

(Not to mention Bicks' own publicly expressed reservations, which IMHO pretty much rule him out from the start.)

I've said on another thread that I would "spit chips" if Bicks got the job - and that's because there is no way the recruiting process won't throw up more experienced and better-credentialled candidates. People who have been in the system for longer, and at more successful clubs - not to mention the benefit of bringing in outside experience and new ideas.

What we have seen in the past 2 weeks is that Bicks may well deserve to be the only member of the current coaching panel who survives in 2012.

But "Bicks for coach", game over? Please.

Topple Geelong and Bicks will be hard to stop!

There could be a Roos-esque swelling a public support and affection. Pressure on the club from the fans... our beloved premiership captain... promoting from within... :eek:

I'll bring my defibrillator on Sunday.

Funny thread.

Were you expecting a new coach to = no more butchering? Skills don't magically improve overnight

And plenty has changed with Bicks:

VB in the guts, Reilly on HB, Walker with free reign and no fear of being dropped, Knights in the guts last week, Danger a full time mid, Riley gets a gig

Edit: But i still don't want Bicks as coach. But to say he hasn't done anything is not correct

Neeld is growing on me. I'm liking what i hear

This thread from my perspective is not about Bicks and what a great coach he is. It is more about Craig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back