Big Fish ?...Hawthorn trade news and targets thread(not for trade hypotheticals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has heart & never gives up - did you see their effort on GF Day?

In isolation, 35 might be about fair, but if they're losing Cameron & in light of their recent performance, heart & endeavor are worth more to them than perhaps to a Saints or Norf list.

Even more so, GWS. They'd be closer enough to buying a Premiership if they got Popeye & his application would be a vey good example to some of the talented front-runners that they've stockpiled.

How GWS haven't smashed down our door & thrown a fringe-22 mid at us for Popeye is beyond me...
Great replacement for Stevie J even if they dont know it.

Harder working, experienced, excitement machine. Id say hes the kind of potential cult player that GWS fans could latch onto as well.
GWS need to have a look at themselves if they dont consider the possibility. He'd cost next to nothing too. Barring injury, they cannot lose on any level of the deal.

I think we have put a deal on the table for Schache (possibly the one put forward that includes Hodge and WhiteX) and Brisbane are seeing whether they are able to get something better. Might explain why the Hodge deal is being delayed.

Glad someone does no club does he literally been breaking down in interviews mentally weak. In saying that
I would give whitex and hodge for him.
Brisbane just hoping for a first round hopefully last day that will turn to a 2nd at best
I have to agree with this, there's been quite a bit of talk of his supposed lack of mental strength, it's a harsh harsh business and Beau Dowler types just aren't cut out for it unfortunately

They said he was the most confident kid they'd ever seen in his abilities (quite different to schache)

Absolutely correct. Buddy put teams off in interviews because was confident and casual and it put coaches off. Clarko loved what he saw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big difference I reckon between being mentally weak and being in a bad place mentally.

If it’s the latter then there’s a reasonable chance he could get back to a good place by moving to Hawthorn. Get back home with family and friends around who would be his support network. With the clubs ties to Beyond Blue as well as having a great mateship culture I reckon we’re well equipped to help him. We’re also not in a position where we need him to go straight into the 22 and hold up our forward line. He’d have the chance to build up at Box Hill and not have to be the goto guy from day 1.

I hope we take a chance with him.

Big difference I reckon between being mentally weak and being in a bad place mentally.

If it’s the latter then there’s a reasonable chance he could get back to a good place by moving to Hawthorn. Get back home with family and friends around who would be his support network. With the clubs ties to Beyond Blue as well as having a great mateship culture I reckon we’re well equipped to help him. We’re also not in a position where we need him to go straight into the 22 and hold up our forward line. He’d have the chance to build up at Box Hill and not have to be the goto guy from day 1.

I hope we take a chance with him.
Agree. We have to take risks to get some elite talent, and in this case we would be hoping that a change of scenery, a more supportive environment, close to family & friends and perhaps, as you say, lowering expectations on the lad may help achieve his potential. I suspect a big part of our success over the last decade has been about managing young men well in difficult times. Unfortunately I'm not sure we have enough on offer to guarantee the trade. Hope I am wrong.

I have to agree with this, there's been quite a bit of talk of his supposed lack of mental strength, it's a harsh harsh business and Beau Dowler types just aren't cut out for it unfortunately

Yes it's the super confident Mitch Thorp types that make it....oh hold on...

Well.. id rather a confident well adjusted person than someone riddled with self doubt in a grand final

I'd rather a supremely talented player, with an appropriate or matching level of confidence in their ability.

Players don't have to be well adjusted. Heck, very few people I've met are 100% well adjusted.

On the other hand, Wayne Schwass during his North days wasn't necessarily confident or well adjusted. But holy crap, he could play.

I've had thought a fair bit about Schache, orginally I liked the idea as long as the next year first year pick wasn't on the table. Now I'm all for it, first round pick or not.

Talls take time, Without a tall any team will struggle to build a relevant team. But more importantly by getting Schache we are effective speeding up our understanding on whether or not using future picks on talls are worth it (where as waiting til next year we will put us extremely behind on a crucial position)

From 04-06 we used picks 2,5,6,6 on talls but if we had of know Rough and Bud from 04 we're going to make it we may have gone a mid in the 05 or 06 draft.

Therefore I don't know if he will make it or not but grabbing that potential key element now may save us MASSIVELY in the future.

I've had thought a fair bit about Schache, orginally I liked the idea as long as the next year first year pick wasn't on the table. Now I'm all for it, first round pick or not.

Yeah let’s throw away our first pick in what could be the strongest draft ever for a guy that has underachieved thus far and is potentially a complete bust. I’d like us to make a play for him, but not at any price.

Absolutely correct. Buddy put teams off in interviews because was confident and casual and it put coaches off. Clarko loved what he saw.
I would have thought he would have just spouted off cliches the whole time—which Clarko would of loved

Yeah let’s throw away our first pick in what could be the strongest draft ever for a guy that has underachieved thus far and is potentially a complete bust. I’d like us to make a play for him, but not at any price.
"strongest draft ever" Holy shit that is an over reaction... It is expected to be a strong draft but that is just well and truly over the top.

"a guy that has underachieved thus far" His first season numbers were far from terrible. No doubt he has some issues this season but even still he is averaging close to a goal a game and is showing he has the ability to take come contested marks. People really do have over the top expectations for key forwards early on.

"strongest draft ever" Holy shit that is an over reaction... It is expected to be a strong draft but that is just well and truly over the top.

"a guy that has underachieved thus far" His first season numbers were far from terrible. No doubt he has some issues this season but even still he is averaging close to a goal a game and is showing he has the ability to take come contested marks. People really do have over the top expectations for key forwards early on.

I never said he was terrible, hence my interest in us pursuing him. In my opinion he has underachieved, in the context of him being a former number 2 draft pick. He is a gamble, which is why almost every Melbourne based club has stayed away. Yeah a first round draft pick is also a gamble, but given next year’s draft is apparently strong (I’ll leave it at that since you don’t seem to understand hyperbole) I don’t think we should offer up our first round pick. The club needs to get it done another way or walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back