Biggest crowd you have been at?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What's the biggest attendance you've been at? Because I'm thinking tonight might be the biggest I've ever been to.

For me, the biggest was actually the Olympics soccer game last year between Australia and Italy, where there was a crowd of 93,000. Tonight should have an even better atmosphere than that game though.

Biggest football crowd I have been to: 91,960 - Victoria v South Australia - MCG 1989.

Biggest Hawthorn crowd: 86,468 - Hawthorn v Essendon - PF 2001 at the MCG

Biggest crowd at Waverley: 75,230 - Hawthorn v West Coast - GF 1991

Biggest H&A crowd: 72,130 - Hawthorn v Sydney - Waverley R22 1999

Probably Collingwood vs Port, 1997

Biggest crowd I ever went to for footy was the 1995 (I think) Anzac Day game where bloody 20,000 of us got locked out! :mad:

It was a draw though, so at least I didn't sit through it for that awful numb feeling! Still wanted in though.

How many were at the Iran game? I went to that SOO game as well, and the 88, 93, 95 and 99 grand finals. Don't know which had the biggest crowd.

Originally posted by Danny Chook Fan Club
I was at the last game to draw over 100,000 people - that being the 1986 Grand Final: 101,861.

The biggest I've ever been in was the 1983 Grand Final: 110,332.

They were both terrific days :D

83 is probably my biggest too... :(

NRL GF Saints Vs Storm was pretty big. It was the first time Stadium Asutralia had been used for a GF.

Last year I went to the olympic soccer gold medal match at the Stadium and that was crazy! Don't know the figures, but it was huuge!
Go the crazy Africans! I got to touch a gold medal too that day! One of the Cameroon guys let me hold his gold medal for a photo after the match!
:D

Biggest footy crowd - 1998 Grand final - 94,000 I think

biggest cricket crowd - about 31,000 at Adelaide Oval for the day nighter versus the poms -w hat a great game

Adelaide oval is at its best when either full or empty

When its empty you can yell things at the players and they can hear you clear as day.

David Boon turned around and gave me a rude gesture in a SA v Tasmania shield game at the Oval.

Highlight of my day that was!

Biggest Crowd would be the 1990 Grand Final 98,900 Odd. But depending what the official figure for the 1997 GF was then it would be that. First they posted a crowd of 98,000 but then they revised it to over 99,000.

My Biggest Geelong crowd would be the 1992 GF 95,004.

Biggest Home and Away Crowd Geelong V Essendon 1989 around 88,000.

Biggest cricket crowd was the 1992 World CUp Final 87,000 and biggest involving Australia 83,000 V England a couple of years back.

Originally posted by Jars458
When its empty you can yell things at the players and they can hear you clear as day.

Same with the SCG at Kangaroos vs Port :) I swear I was majorly responsible for Scott Bassett's great debut game on Corey McKernan in 2000. :D

Biggest crowd - 1986 GF, What a ripper!!
Biggest H & A - What year was the Hawthorn v Collingwood at waverley, i'm sure i was there! - 92,000 odd.

I want to go to that stadium in Brazil, 200,000 people, could you imagine that!

Gee everyone's beat my 92,000 at the Essendon/Carlton Rd20 2000.

How many were at the Opening Ceremony? It was full for that & the rehearsals so I guess those would be my biggest ALso I was there for Mo Green's final & that seemed packed as well. I dunno how many the Olympic Stadium holds but I'd say more than the G. dunno:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno the official numbers, but the Australia vs. Iran game, and the Hawthorn vs. Essendon prelim.

The Hitman

I went to all the GFs from 1985-1991, so i guess at least 101,000 (1986-thanks Danny Chook).

I also went to a Pies/Carlton game at Waverley in about 1992, after the Health department said they had to keep the aisles and concourse clear-the official figures were bang on the limit (74,000 or something like that). Well the AFL scraped in a few extra that day: they were stacked in the aisles and overflowing onto the concourse (tut tut). I reckon it was closer to 90,000.

I'm waiting for an old-timer to pull out the 1970 GF, the biggest footy crowd in Australian History. Of course no of this goes near the Melbourne Cup-I read somewhere they got 150,000 people back when the population of Melbourne was less than half a million!

@Maracana Stadium, RioDeJaniero, Flamengo vs VascoDeGama

I don't think they could fit 199,000 in there by the way, it was jammed the day i went. I heard that the day there was 199,000 they had 40,000 in the walkways etc so it made the crowd figures bigger.

I believe I take the prize.....

Probably Port v Glenelg grand final at Footy Park which drew 50,313.

Either that or Showdown 1 where officialy there was 47,000...but realistically there was a damn sight more.
People standing 5 deep all around the ground...the terraces literally packed as well when the game was on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest crowd you have been at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back