MattyB_76

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redlegs, Yankees, Fulham FC
I'm looking at trade week with a big smile on my face. Obviously I'm pretty happy with our 2 pickups. Lots of upside.

But the part that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside is that we didn't offer any players up as bait (except Griff, but that's a different story). All the players we have are required, and that bodes really well for the years ahead.

Hopefully we can put the "youngsters don't like Craigy" rumours to bed, and focus on a great pre-season and make teams fear Adelaide again.

Bring on 2011.

Not only do we not have a single player looking to leave for anything other than personal family reasons (Griffin), but we've actually managed to attract 2 players to the club.

It's interesting that both Jacobs & Tambling were somewhat non-committal about being traded to Adelaide - until they had a meeting with Neil Craig. From that moment on they both became very enthusiastic about getting the trades done. Loving the positive impact our coach has on our ability to attract players and keep them once we've got them...

Not only do we not have a single player looking to leave for anything other than personal family reasons (Griffin), but we've actually managed to attract 2 players to the club.

It's interesting that both Jacobs & Tambling were somewhat non-committal about being traded to Adelaide - until they had a meeting with Neil Craig. From that moment on they both became very enthusiastic about getting the trades done. Loving the positive impact our coach has on our ability to attract players and keep them once we've got them...

theres obviously two sides to neil, the media side and the behind the scenes side.

he clearly has big plans for them in our side. exciting times ahead!

I think it's probably enough to put to bed the players don't like Neil Craig rubbish that posters use to justify the fact they don't like Neil Craig.

Whether he's an adequate coach is still up for discussion, but under the grounds of player dislike seems incorrect.

I do expect the same posters to come back with the fact he is too well liked.

I think it's probably enough to put to bed the players don't like Neil Craig rubbish that posters use to justify the fact they don't like Neil Craig.

Whether he's an adequate coach is still up for discussion, but under the grounds of player dislike seems incorrect.

I do expect the same posters to come back with the fact he is too well liked.

knocking off two myths in one go - the young players don't like Craig and Craig refuses to trade :)

Initially i thought we got ripped off with our trading, and a little dissapointed thought it would have been better given the quality of mids in this draft to keep all our picks and pick a few quality young midf.

Then i thought Jacobs will become one of the best ruckmen within 2 years and its hard to find these guys and win a premiership without them (in the form of Jolly) Got him at good price to;

Tambling potential is scary, had tough time in richmond, but is he too damaged mentally? We paid a little too much for him to.

Griffen we got shafted!

Then i thought imagine if these players were available in the draft this year and we picked them up:

1st round Pick 14 : Gun Midf;
2nd round: Jacobs (ready made gun ruckman);
3rd round: Tambling (huge potential)
4th round: Qualtiy experenced midf eg Sewell.

Forget about losing bock, Davis and Ottens are better combination so no real loss there;
Griffen loss, well Jacobs and McKernan are ahead of him so again no real loss.

After considering this i am very happy.:)

I know we are all very excited by Jacobs, but I'm over the moon about getting Tambling.

Tambling will suprise many in 2011, will become our best outside midfielder and flourish in the Adelaide system.

Bookmark it.

my postive is that we held on to 14

love sauce and tambling but we need to keep the kids coming through our club as well

we got two players we wanted and gave up only the picks we were prepared. Whether we paid a little over for Tambling or a little under for Jacobs is largely irrelevant as they evened out.

I'm just glad we participated for a change.

Tambling will be a much better player in our side, he has improved players around him that will bring him into the game more and put him into space unlike what happens at Richmond. Better coaches, better game plan, better players = an improved Tambling.

Put all this down to good rookie selections again. Similar to having Bock, Rutten and Mattner on the rookie list, we have had a good 2 year strategy with GC coming and GWS coming in.

I know we are all very excited by Jacobs, but I'm over the moon about getting Tambling.

Tambling will suprise many in 2011, will become our best outside midfielder and flourish in the Adelaide system.

Bookmark it.
Jacobs taps it down to Dangerfield who stands up in a gang tackle and fires out a handball to Tambling who puts on the afterburners. Takes one bounce and kicks it LONG to Tippett who marks strongly in front of his opponent.

Tippett lining up for his first, and he kicks it out of bounds on the full knocking out the carpark lady at Max Basheer Reserve! :D

Then i thought imagine if these players were available in the draft this year and we picked them up:

:rolleyes:
Very nice summation of the whole process. Has satisfied my unease at having only one decent draft pick!

I was thinking the same thing.

A bit like Collingwood last year.

I have been lucky enough to see the real Craigy and he is very likeable. Anytime I hear the players dont like him I struggle to believe it. If anything his eventual departure from our club will be like Choco's. The players will back him, but board will want him gone.

Cant see Craigy as stubborn as Choco though and pulling the club down as much as Choco did.

Not to mention that Walker wanted to come here too.

I was thinking it would've been good to get someone like Tambling last year before Goody and Macca left, great club legends to learn from, and it occurred to me that the reason we didn't trade last year was exactly because we had too many of the old blokes taking up the cap (sorry if that was obvious to everyone else)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club obviously doesn't really think the draft is very deep so they targeted specific types of players we can weaknesses in. Wrapped with Tambling and Jacobs. I've got a really good feeling about both but have a really really good feeling about Tambling. The guy will prove the doubters wrong I reckon. He's a confidence player and he got knocked around a lot at the Tigers. A new start will be awesome for him and I think he'll show why he was such a highly rated junior next year.

In the lead-up to Trade Week, the posters on this Board were divided about what we needed most - a speedy midfielder or a better rukman.

I am pleased to see we got both, and hung on to our first round pick through it all.

Who has tried to place their best Crows team for 2011? Every time I try, it is scary the uality I can't fit in!!

The biggest positive from trade week?

The fact that this board will be free - for a while, anyway - of obsessive posts about how the AFC / Neil Craig can't / won't trade, how we can't attract players, how we .... meh, you know how it goes.

The job had to be done this year, and the genuinely good opportunities were there (as opposed to last year, e.g.). And we did the job and took the opportunities.

God help the doomsayers if Tambling in particular flourishes at the AFC / under NC.

I like the look of our new list, I really do.

Who has tried to place their best Crows team for 2011? Every time I try, it is scary the uality I can't fit in!!
Well, as Vader has said in another thread, 2011 probably marks the beginning of the weeding out process.

Looking at revealed form crossed with apparent potential, you are right. Looking at reality and history, it's a different story.

Some of our youngsters aren't going to make it and some of those who do will find themselves struggling to get a regular spot because we (hopefully) have such a solid "first 26-30 players".

End result may be that over 2011 and following years we will have to delist some players who right now we think are the ones you "can't fit in", and we'll be trading others - possibly for draft picks to regenerate at the lower age level of the list (we've got a young list now, but that will change very quickly. In a year or two we might be looking at multiple draft picks again (whereas this year we are not, it seems).

But all in all that's pretty much a good news story.

The fact we addressed needs and traded aggressively...we didn't recruit any stars (though both have the scope to become them) but we did patch up some holes in our list. These guys will add to our young talent, with Tambling bringing speed and line-breaking ability and Jacobs adding some class to our ruckwork. They're not experienced campaigners (though Tambling has played over 100 games...just not too many great ones) and our list still seems a bit unbalanced with the recent departures, but we'll have to rely on the development of our younger players, many of whom will be required to step up a gear next season - Vince, Mackay, Dangerfield, Porplyazia, Tippett for instance. Those five have the scope to be stars of the game and now have games under their belt to take the step to the next level (or in Vince's case, back to the same step he was in 2009). Their improvement will all be crucial next year.

this is a good news story going forward.

it puts to bed the glaringly obvious untruths that we can't trade because players don't want to come here.

hopefully we can look forward to more active and dynamic list management.

this is a good news story going forward.

it puts to bed the glaringly obvious untruths that we can't trade because players don't want to come here.

hopefully we can look forward to more active and dynamic list management.

The one knock on Craig it didn't put to bed is the more specific claim that Craig is not willing to trade away players in order to get players.

We only traded away Griffin because he wanted to leave, and to get players here we were only willing to either give up draft picks, or players with no currency.

Personally, I don't mind it - I like the fact that we prefer not to use our players as commodities on the trade table - but this week's action does little to discredit that claim.

The one knock on Craig it didn't put to bed is the more specific claim that Craig is not willing to trade away players in order to get players.

We only traded away Griffin because he wanted to leave, and to get players here we were only willing to either give up draft picks, or players with no currency.

Personally, I don't mind it - I like the fact that we prefer not to use our players as commodities on the trade table - but this week's action does little to discredit that claim.

From what we know, Sellar was put on the table at least, but it's irrelevant really. You only give personnel up when there's someone worth giving personnel up for. If Griffen had decided to return home, who knows. Things might've been different.

I'll give you a couple of predictions.

come the new CBA, when the players (rightly and inarguably) want and will get a step change increase in the salary cap you'll see a couple of other things go along with it. these include:

- forfeiting the right to veto
- and if they're smart, they'll make salaries public.

hidden salaries work to the advantage of the club, and the detriment of the players massively. for example if we knew david freakin' hale had just signed for 425K could we have, in all conscience, denied Hudson his 330K. or shall we can it jacobs money?

when players can no longer veto trades, you'll see a lot more player trades.

FA also makes cap management about 23.751 times more important, so you need to be jettisoning players too.

Initially i thought we got ripped off with our trading, and a little dissapointed thought it would have been better given the quality of mids in this draft to keep all our picks and pick a few quality young midf.

Then i thought Jacobs will become one of the best ruckmen within 2 years and its hard to find these guys and win a premiership without them (in the form of Jolly) Got him at good price to;

Tambling potential is scary, had tough time in richmond, but is he too damaged mentally? We paid a little too much for him to.

Griffen we got shafted!

Forget about losing bock, Davis and Ottens are better combination so no real loss there;
Griffen loss, well Jacobs and McKernan are ahead of him so again no real loss.

After considering this i am very happy.:)

Looks even more impressive when you add in the rookie upgrades.

1st round - quick midfielder (Smith/Prestia/Smedts/Lamb/Pitt)
2nd round - Tambling
3rd round - Jacobs
4th round - Henderson
5th round - Jaensch
6th round - Tim Milera (classy small forward) :rolleyes:
7th round - Nick Lower/Paul Puopolo if available (SANFL mature ager)

Meeting needs and adding a lot of speed to out list. This would make for a great offseason. On Tim Milera he is only 170cm, but watching footage of him I can't believe how skillful and classy he is. Definitely in Rioli mould. Too small for midfield spot ie Callinan 171cm, but I reckon he can get away with it as a dangerous smart small forward around the feet of Tippett. And he often kicked 2 or 3 goals per game in SANFL league. Crows supporter too.

I wouldn't upgrade Schmidt. See what's out there and maybe re rookie if we can't get anything better. I reckon there are enough SANFL players available late in draft to pick up rather than the vanilla Schmidt.

Looks even more impressive when you add in the rookie upgrades.

2nd round - Tambling
3rd round - Jacobs
4th round - Henderson
5th round - Jaensch

If we're going to do this sort of justification (which I do find interesting!), we really need to consider the Bock compensation pick as well, since that was given up.

Even so it looks alright, though just how alright will depend on how good our first round player turns out to be.

2nd round - Tambling
3rd round - Jacobs
4th round - Henderson
5th round - Jaensch
Rookie upgrades are done with the last available picks in the draft..

Thus it would become:
Bock compo - Tambling
2nd round - Jacobs
4th round - Tim Milera (classy small forward) :rolleyes:
5th round - Nick Lower/Paul Puopolo if available (SANFL mature ager)
6th round - Henderson
7th round - Jaensch

That said, I can't see us taking 3x draftees. We'll use 14 & 61 as "live" picks, with the other 3 being used for rookie upgrades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest positive from trade week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back