Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 6th August …

UPDATES on six Blues leading into Round 22.

Adam Cerra (hamstring)
  • Scans have confirmed he experienced a hamstring strain during Saturday night’s game
  • The Club will work through his recovery timeline over the next fortnight

Matthew Cottrell (shoulder)
  • Scans have confirmed he experienced a fracture to his shoulder during Saturday night’s game that will require surgery
  • As a result he will miss the remainder of the 2024 AFL season

Charlie Curnow (ankle)
  • Experienced a rolled ankle on Saturday night but is expected to be available to play
  • Availability: test

Caleb Marchbank (concussion)
  • Has entered concussion protocols following the VFL game on Saturday
  • Will be unavailable for selection this week

Orazio Fantasia (calf)

- Availability: 1-2 weeks

Zac Williams (hamstring)

- Availability: test

IMG_8204.jpeg
IMG_8205.jpeg
IMG_8206.jpeg

Last edited:

Interesting that Tim Clarke mentioned Curnow specifically along with Weiters and TDK. But Charlie wasn't mentioned in this week's injury list and the other two were.

There might be some truth in that ankle roll pre-game then...

Interesting that Tim Clarke mentioned Curnow specifically along with Weiters and TDK. But Charlie wasn't mentioned in this week's injury list and the other two were.

He's just appeasing the BigFooty masses. The guy knows his priorities!

"A little roll of his ankle, but he's trained really well this week, trained fully this week".

McStay is coming back after 6.5 months which is miles ahead of schedule. Even that would put Doc just in for the GF.

It will be interesting to see how it works out for McStay. Seems risky to me but they don't take 12months in the States so who knows.
In soccer also it's more a 10-11 month injury. In the NFL it seems to almost be an 8 month injury these days at times, though you can never be quite sure with them as HGH/PEDs aren't exactly strictly enforced. Being caught with PEDs is only a 4 week suspension, so why not give it a go when recovering from major injury recovery?

I think the AFL industry generally is more conservative with ACL recoveries because we ask so much more athletically of our guys than anyone else. 360 degree sport, intense repeat sprints, explosive acts, tackling/being tackle and oh yeah jumping into a pack of 6 other guys all contacting each-other and landing at different angles. It's like we invented a game just to spite ACLs.

If this were Docs first knee then maybe you could hope for a miracle return in finals. They do happen, and everyone recovers differently - maybe the stars would align. But as it's his third, you'd suggest he's as long a shot as anyone has been for a fast recovery.

In soccer also it's more a 10-11 month injury. In the NFL it seems to almost be an 8 month injury these days at times, though you can never be quite sure with them as HGH/PEDs aren't exactly strictly enforced. Being caught with PEDs is only a 4 week suspension, so why not give it a go when recovering from major injury recovery?

I think the AFL industry generally is more conservative with ACL recoveries because we ask so much more athletically of our guys than anyone else. 360 degree sport, intense repeat sprints, explosive acts, tackling/being tackle and oh yeah jumping into a pack of 6 other guys all contacting each-other and landing at different angles. It's like we invented a game just to spite ACLs.

If this were Docs first knee then maybe you could hope for a miracle return in finals. They do happen, and everyone recovers differently - maybe the stars would align. But as it's his third, you'd suggest he's as long a shot as anyone has been for a fast recovery.

It was the other knee though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting - was wondering which. I still feel like they'll go the conservative route but that perhaps gives me a little inkling of hope.

It is weird he gets a mention in the main body of our injury list updates, while JSOS is just part of the table.

He's got amazing recuperative powers, does Doc. I keep thinking of that dislocated shoulder in the finals, and being pale and gaunt after chemo, only to come out firing in Round 1.

He's scored Tiger blood from Charlie Sheen.

It is weird he gets a mention in the main body of our injury list updates, while JSOS is just part of the table.

He's got amazing recuperative powers, does Doc. I keep thinking of that dislocated shoulder in the finals, and being pale and gaunt after chemo, only to come out firing in Round 1.

He's scored Tiger blood from Charlie Sheen.
I have talked down his chances of a return to best 22 broadly speaking but considering it's the other knee I'm inclined to think that's a positive. Whether that's correct or not who knows but it has lifted my hopes a bit for him.

Returning for a final would be an insane sugar hit.

Yes I meant Libba Senior, Tony. Apologies for the confusion. Names are very similar.
Just to clear this up. Libba Senior (Tony) came back from a traditional Acl reco after about 4 months. As soon as he could run he said if I can run I can play.

The medical advice was for him to take more time and he ignored it and declared himself ready to play. He was very fortunate not to reinjure the knee and was probably saved due to his tree trunk quads giving him enough stability to compensate for his lack of acl stability at that point.

Ideal return from acl injury for reduction in recurrence is actually 2 years! Obviously this never happens but it shows there is a balancing act between return and reinjury.

Just to clear this up. Libba Senior (Tony) came back from a traditional Acl reco after about 4 months. As soon as he could run he said if I can run I can play.

The medical advice was for him to take more time and he ignored it and declared himself ready to play. He was very fortunate not to reinjure the knee and was probably saved due to his tree trunk quads giving him enough stability to compensate for his lack of acl stability at that point.

Ideal return from acl injury for reduction in recurrence is actually 2 years! Obviously this never happens but it shows there is a balancing act between return and reinjury.
Great first post!

I have talked down his chances of a return to best 22 broadly speaking but considering it's the other knee I'm inclined to think that's a positive. Whether that's correct or not who knows but it has lifted my hopes a bit for him.

Returning for a final would be an insane sugar hit.
Considering the 2 ACLs he had before this one... his return from both reconstructions were closer to 12 months than 6 months. So that might be a guide with how quickly he returns from the current one.

In any case, if we end up saluting on the last day of Sep, it'd be a bittersweet feeling if he doesn't have a medal round his neck.

Thanks Ocker. I thought I remembered correctly the first time ie. he had traditional ACL reco.

I probably confused some by erroneously calling him Tom instead of Tony.

And having unusually strong upper legs probably did help with his early return. After having ACL reco myself, remember the physio getting onto me about building up my quads and hammies to help stabilise the knee joint.

Jack Martin will make his return to play this week via the VFL, when the Carlton Reserves take on the Western Bulldogs on Sunday at the Whitten Oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back