Injury Blue Healers Medical Room 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a 4-6 week injury, our bye is round 15 the second last week of June I doubt we’ll see him before then, we can’t afford to risk the clubs number one asset, hopefully we learn from the mistakes made with Cripps and Hewitts injuries over the last couple of years.

Hewett had back concerns while at Sydney

This is true.

The only thing we could have done differently with George was shut him down sooner and I don't necessarily believe that was the right move regardless of how it played out there.

Allegedly he was at minimal risk of worsening the injury doing what he was doing as what was well reported at the time he wasn't in the main training group going hard as he couldn't get himself to that level. Voss stipulated that if he couldn't do that then he couldn't push him. The right move.

Not much to learn there especially given the time of year difference. You always give your players every chance to overcome injuries at the pointy end of the season and he simply wasn't mismanaged.

Been seeing a lot of Jack Carrol on the club's socials etc of late. I wonder if the club saw the surgery for Walsh coming a while back and have the replacement primed.

Can't believe there are so many qualified GPs in a Bigfooty sub!

I've had a bulging L4/L5 for 25 years and can do farming stuff all day when necessary with zero issues as long as I'm smart about it - not nearly the same as playing AFL but I don't have a team of medicos following me around 24/7.

This gives the other young mids a chance to have a sustained crack at it: Dow, Carroll etc.

Was much more devo over Doc's injuries in previous years. Walsh is a freak and he'll follow his rehab etc. to the letter, the removal of the medi-sub rule will likely help him return faster as well.
Yeah, a bulging disc is different from a herniated disc or one that has compressed the spinal nerves, so maybe don't belittle other peoples comments.

Sent from my SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not an expert by any means hence why I'm asking but could it be possible that the weights programs these guys are on be causing back problems?

Players look to get stronger as they progress but I'm a big believer in that given your natural body physiology ie ecto, meso or endomorph there's a limit to how much muscle mass you can add before the body starts to break.

Last edited:
may take up to 8 weeks to get back to doing your usual activities. Your doctor may advise you to work with a physiotherapist to strengthen the muscles around your spine and trunk. You will need to learn how to lift, twist, and bend so you don't put too much strain on your back. From google 😆😆. but hey it eases my mind. Knowing Sam Walsh and his dedication he’ll be back sooner rather then later . The blues page saying he’ll miss the first part of the year then they’ll check where he is at. I say give him 8 weeks and his paying even money to play round 1!!!
But anyways if he doesn’t come good we have a prettt stack midfield atm.
And I like Sam docherty back in there at the end of last season. So if he does miss it’s not the end fellas. My only concern is Hewetts back will it come good or do we chuck him in for surgery with Walsh?

Can't believe there are so many qualified GPs in a Bigfooty sub!

I've had a bulging L4/L5 for 25 years and can do farming stuff all day when necessary with zero issues as long as I'm smart about it - not nearly the same as playing AFL but I don't have a team of medicos following me around 24/7.

This gives the other young mids a chance to have a sustained crack at it: Dow, Carroll etc.

Was much more devo over Doc's injuries in previous years. Walsh is a freak and he'll follow his rehab etc. to the letter, the removal of the medi-sub rule will likely help him return faster as well.

We are so blessed to have several 'qualified' GP's/medical experts.

Hewett had back concerns while at Sydney
He did and it was probably a major part of the reason we were able to recruit him relatively cheaply, that along with Sydney’s midfield being a little one paced at the time.
Last season he was injured then came back but eventually had to be shutdown with the injury.
Personally I think these types of injuries need to be totally taken out of the player and coaches control which I don’t think has been the case recently especially at Carlton, players are always going to say they are fine to play especially extremely driven players like Walsh we have seen it with Cripps in the past.

Seem to recall that Walsh was supposed to miss approximately the first month last season as well. In the end he missed one game, which we won, and was rusty for the next few, most of which we also won.

Impossible to know if the injury recovery will track the same way this time, but I expect the team performance to be similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar surgery to what I had back in 2019

If similar results:

The internal back pain will be eradicated almost as soon as surgery is complete.

Wound site will be painful and prevent training through the recovery period. Typical of post surgery of anything (e.g stitches, etc.)

Physio will begin 2-3 weeks post surgery.

3 months mark he should have close to complete freedom (if successful and no other diagnosis e.g. cauda equine syndrome, which is what I had).

It really depends on what other complications he was dealing with if anything. Could range from back about a third of the way through the season to his career/life is somewhat ****ed and we hope for the best

Those asking why we didn't opt for immediate surgery. Spinal cord (no matter how simple the surgery) is almost always the last resort in medical opinion in this country. I can say I asked for my own surgery back in 2016 and they wouldn't until I reached the point of no return and it was my only option. In my time in the spinal unit this was the case for every single patient in there including two former professional athletes. The only people this didn't apply to were significant trauma cases (e.g. significant car accident victims where they literally had no choice).

Until we know more it's impossible to say. Club doing the right thing by ruling out a timeline for his return

Positive thoughts and love to Sammy.

Thanks for that very informative summary. It puts into context why the decision to have surgery was not taken 2-3 months ago. This is very disappointing news all the same as it sounds like he’ll miss at least 3 months including a couple very big games early in the season. That said given the nature of injury and potential long term damage, a full recovery is the absolute priority for such an important player, so I’d rather they err on the side of caution than rush him back.

In terms of his replacement I hope one of Carroll, Dow or Philp can seize the opportunity to earn selection but personally I’d go with Doc in the middle and we backfill his backline position with Newman and/or Boyd. Provided everyone else is available we’d still have a very strong midfield albeit the Richmond and Geelong games will be very tough without Walsh.

Finally whilst its welcoming to hear the recent comments about an overhaul of our injury management practices it does beg the question why it has taken so long for this to become a priority for the club given our lousy injury history for what seems like a long time now. It feels like the club has been behind the rest of the league on this front for some time on this front.

Seriously - again? Yet another injury to a key player mismanaged in the offseason.

But hey, lets drop the news the day before Christmas when people are busy and on holidays so that the complete ineptitude of the club isn't on public show (again).

Bunch of absolute clowns running the joint - still.
giphy (1).gif

A one week injury has turned into 8+ months.

Over It Ugh GIF

'tis the Carlton way unfortunately..

Obviously disappointing news for Sam and the Club and all Blue Baggers- now we know why he wasn't as effective as he could have been for much of the season....atb Sam and take your time getting yourself 100%.

Really hope Walsh has a great recovery - he's an absolute gun.
Amazed to see that Carlton have now have three players (inc Fogarty and Hewett) recovering from back surgery, I can't recall a club with that many players needing back surgery/recovery over the same period.
judd carried us for years but it was his shoulders that went..........

Most recover in 4-6 weeks, then build back up to normal levels of physical activity. Given it's Walsh, think he would be right for round 1.

Read the article and you would have a better understanding as to why

I don’t want you to think that I am attacking you but this sort of thing bugs me. Sam Walsh might be a very fit person by professional sports standards but this isn’t a movie. His back isn’t a piece of concrete slab that doesnt need to heal/rehab. He is more likely to miss the first 6-8 rounds as he is to play Round 1.

Still waiting for "durability". No changes were made in this fitness, strength and condition area. Should we be surprised.

Let alone the fact that the club played an injured player as Voss was desperate to make finals, because Sayers set the "finals or bust" expectation in sept 2021.

We have it on good authority the club was approached 6 weeks our from end of season and told you need to rest this injury otherwise you’re going to ruin his career

Short term thinking, long term pain. Classic Carlton.

Walsh is an asset. The debate here really now is, playing a half injured player or not.

Given he has rare talent, I'd be protecting him from this becoming a chronic issue versus rushing him back as a role player.

1319fe0c517d745dffc8bcaee61bd529.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I don’t want you to think that I am attacking you but this sort of thing bugs me. Sam Walsh might be a very fit person by professional sports standards but this isn’t a movie. His back isn’t a piece of concrete slab that doesnt need to heal/rehab. He is more likely to miss the first 6-8 rounds as he is to play Round 1.
my optimism is a piece of concrete - hard to carry around but utterly impervious to destabilizing pessimism..........

Still waiting for "durability". No changes were made in this fitness, strength and condition area. Should we be surprised.

Let alone the fact that the club played an injured player as Voss was desperate to make finals, because Sayers set the "finals or bust" expectation in sept 2021.

We have it on good authority the club was approached 6 weeks our from end of season and told you need to rest this injury otherwise you’re going to ruin his career

Short term thinking, long term pain. Classic Carlton.

Walsh is an asset. The debate here really now is, playing a half injured player or not.

Given he has rare talent, I'd be protecting him from this becoming a chronic issue versus rushing him back as a role

player

1319fe0c517d745dffc8bcaee61bd529.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Once again, can you show me when Sayers said it was finals or bust?

This may help, or more likely not

Happy to wait for you to find it

Wonderful seeing the same grim reapers crawling out of their cloak to contribute here when bad news arises
my favourite so far is ding dong's effort "one of the complications with any spinal surgery is that the wound does not heal properly and you get cerebrospinal fluid leakage"........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back