Bluemour Discussion Thread IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Established players vs a young No1 pick in a rebuild? Big difference
In respect to guessing what a player may be thinking or planning, there is no difference.

I couldn't imagine the club wanting to trade Weitering, but Boyd and Schache have shown kids aren't unsusceptible to seeking a trade if they're not settled.

If we gave him a 2 year contract :eek: (and I don't think we did), it would be because we wanted to, not because we decided to take him in the PSD rather than the rookie draft.
Does the re-drafting rule apply to him after he played a year in the VFL?

If so then we had the option of a 1 year minimum, otherwise it's 2 years.

In respect to guessing what a player may be thinking or planning, there is no difference.

I couldn't imagine the club wanting to trade Weitering, but Boyd and Schache have shown kids aren't unsusceptible to seeking a trade if they're not settled.

There are zero indications that SPS or Weitering are unsettled.

It's just toothless supporters making knee jerk calls to trade a 2nd or 3rd year player who either isn't progressing linearly, or not as quickly as they hoped.

Its lunacy.

It's just toothless supporters making knee jerk calls to trade a 2nd or 3rd year player who either isn't progressing linearly, or not as quickly as they hoped.

Its lunacy.
I'm not suggesting there is merit to it, but it's no less relevant discussion than most on here.

I'd imagine even Jacob himself might crack a smirk at it.

giphy.gif

I think the problem is Jones. Rowe gives direction and acts as a pivot, while Jones does his mad dog wildcard act that leaves his teammates second-guessing and guys like Weitering sacrificing their game to cover. Jones will end up with x amount of spoils and intercepts, but what's the point if Weitering is playing lockdown and Marchbank is stuck on a wing?

Is it all jones? SOS seems impressed with his improvement

Where were they and where did they go?

Its lunacy.
At which point do you question weitering?
He appears to have regressed the last two seasons from year 1 where he looked fantastic.

He is a bit of a worry as his strengths appear to have disappeared.

It would also be lunacy to not consider a very very good offer for him should it arise.

He appears to have regressed the last two seasons from year 1 where he looked fantastic.

It would also be lunacy to not consider a very very good offer for him should it arise.
I think the club would only consider a top 3 pick for him.
But even then I doubt it. Ill back him in though, kid has his head screwed on tight. He'll get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a third year player, who has had a few injuries along the way, and been forced to play out of position last year as a forward, hurting his development.

Players dont all progress in linear improvement. 'Second (or third) year blues' is a common saying for a reason mate. The fact he was even playing in his first year, let alone being named in the bests most weeks, as an 18 year old KPP, and looking every bit like a generational talent, is all you need to know about his ability.

We then started to play him up forward, he looked all out to sea, then he copped a few injuries, and his form has suffered.

That doesnt equate to 'lets trade him'. He's a third year player with oodles of talent. It's lunacy to suggest it. It's shortsighted reactionary stuff.

Dont get me wrong; if some club came up and offered us Pick 2 or 3 (plus a player) I'd consider it. You'd consider a trade for anyone at the right price.

But there is zero chance the club floats his name up for a trade.

Ive seen people calling to trade him for a pick in the teens or higher, and ditto with SPS.

Its utter lunacy.

Last edited:

Pretty narrow perspective.

In year one he overachieved, by a long way.

In year two he's contended with a less settled backline (Rowe and ASOS injuries last year, with Jones only emerging).

In year three the decimation of our backline by injury has created cohesion problems in our defence and our lack of midfield talent (loss of Gibbs, Murph for most of the year) caused turnovers and allows opponents to use the corridor and punish our defenders.

He'll get better and better, and as more backline cohesion comes, and more midfield talent reduces turnovers and adds defensive pressure he'll be our marquee key defensive player for another 10 years. Trading him now would be utterly insane. Talk of trading him is marginally less insane.

Last edited:

After he has his shoulder op and has time to develop in a settled line up.

Brief bit of pedantry.

Once in a generation talent or "generational" talent.

Horribly misused term.

The following current players are eligible.

Natanui
Franklin
Ablett

They are all absurd talents whose athletic abilities and performances stand apart.

Players like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin, Selwood are all exceptional but there are exceptional players in every generation.

If you aren't likely to be spoken about like Doull or Carey or Polly Farmer 30y after you hang em up, you're not generational talent

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Brief bit of pedantry.

Horribly misused term.

Natanui
Franklin
Ablett

They are all absurd talents whose athletic abilities and performances stand apart.

Players like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin, Selwood are all exceptional but there are exceptional players in every generation.

If you aren't likely to be spoken about like Doull or Carey or Polly Farmer 30y after you hang em up, you're not generational talent

IMO*

Brief bit of pedantry.

Horribly misused term.

Natanui
Franklin
Ablett

Natanui's name doesn't belong with those other two

I feel like many people are wanting to trade out talented young players because they're not killing it this year, which is ridiculous. The reality is that we are the worst team in the comp this year, and besides Cripps, Curnow and Fisher, no one is having career years right now.

Trading is all about net gains, and I don't see us getting anywhere by shipping off guys like SPS and Weitering who are currently building those valuable first 50-75 games for a draft pick that gets us back to square one, while giving an opposition team a future gun who is almost ready to break out.

Utilise the picks we have at our disposal to get those 24-27 year olds if that's what we need right now, don't mortgage the future.

It really depends how you rate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back