Bluemour Discussion Thread XIII - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not see the splitting of a pointy end draft pick into two mid range picks this year being SOS's style. If he trades next year's future round pick it is for getting a single A grader in as replacement for missing first target of Shiel. Setterfeld was already in pipeline beyond 2019 first rounder set aside for Shiel plan. Setterfield would clearly be a future 2nd rounder thought to him or even less.

It's just a bit of discussion but look at it like this

We trade a future first round (3-6 2019) then get

Setterfield
Maybe Pick 14 for Martin and a later pick
Pick 25 could still draft a good young player or could be traded for a Tyson type and a pick

We would essentially get 3 ready to go players that are best 22 and maybe two more picks.

I probably shouldn't say this because I'm definitely no expert on this year's draft prospects... but I'm just not feeling it for Walsh.

It seems to me that everyone just gets carried away with his accumulation of possessions, but his disposal and pace look average. He also isn't particularly big.

Can someone please reassure me that he's as good as everyone thinks?

Don't think his lack of size is an issue...and plenty of elite AFL mids wouldn't actually be ranked elite for disposal or pace.

His lack of size is probably seen as a good thing, in that he can still dominate U18's anyway. And he's not actually small...he's 183cm which is the same height as Joel Selwood, Dan Hanneberry and Shiel. He just needs to put on some muscle and fill out like those guys and he'll be fine physically.

So much talk around the picks we gave Adelaide for MM being equivalent to pick 10 or whatever.

Am i the only one who thinks this whole 26 and 28 is worth 10 a crock of shit? 26 and 28 is worth 26 and 28, 10 is worth 10.
I understand it gives a points 'score' to a pick but other than that, has no practical worth.

It's like when you watch the weather on the news and they say 'today was 15 degrees but felt like 12'.. seriously WTF!
So true.

"3000 draft points equals 1 Sam Walsh OR 150 Cam O'Sheas. Same same."

No! No it's not!

Wouldn’t mind someone comparing SPS to an established player where the comparison doesn’t have to be about skin colour.... Martin, Burgoyne, Wells etc

How about Simon Black. Not fast, silky, good inside. Sps has that Pendlebury like movement in traffic too. Seems to make everyone else look slow, without him being fast.
Why? I tend to make similar comparisons about non indigenous players as well. If I don't see a physical similarity, I have a hard time comparing them. To me, football is the playing positions plus run, mark, handball, kick; the finer details of how they all manage it in comparison to the next player largely escapes me, aside from having an opinion on who the better players are.

Why? I tend to make similar comparisons about non indigenous players as well. If I don't see a physical similarity, I have a hard time comparing them. To me, football is the playing positions plus run, mark, handball, kick; the finer details of how they all manage it in comparison to the next player largely escapes me, aside from having an opinion on who the better players are.

Aboriginal players comprise perhaps 10% of the competition, ignoring bias, I'd expect 1 in 10 comparisons to be with another aboriginal player. Not sure that's the case, unfortunately.

Flip it around, white players should be compared with white players 90% of the time, ignoring any bias.

Let's try to look at what players can/cannot do and juxtapose from there.

So much talk around the picks we gave Adelaide for MM being equivalent to pick 10 or whatever.

Am i the only one who thinks this whole 26 and 28 is worth 10 a crock of shit? 26 and 28 is worth 26 and 28, 10 is worth 10.
I understand it gives a points 'score' to a pick but other than that, has no practical worth.

It's like when you watch the weather on the news and they say 'today was 15 degrees but felt like 12'.. seriously WTF!

Agreed KohPhi ....people would rightly do their nut if you gave up 10 for 26 and 28 in real terms.

IMO The only time the above becomes relevant is when you have a points related pick (academy or father/son) likely to occur BEFORE your first pick - which is exactly what is happening this year with Sydney and Blakey. No way he lasts to 13, so instead of losing 13 in points + potentially moving another pick backward depending on how high he goes, they take a couple of 2nds from us and 3rd from Adelaide and improve their overall draft position.

Wouldn’t mind someone comparing SPS to an established player where the comparison doesn’t have to be about skin colour.... Martin, Burgoyne, Wells etc

How about Simon Black. Not fast, silky, good inside. Sps has that Pendlebury like movement in traffic too. Seems to make everyone else look slow, without him being fast.

Spot on, he's a shorter Pendlebury with a better overhead marking ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are not alone KP.....some futile discussion on what two second round picks (28-30) are worth, a state league player and pick 100 next year.

We get a mature bodied player in Mitch McGovern in the right age bracket, who had 2 years of a contract to run, and a 3rd round pick next year.

Aboriginal players comprise perhaps 10% of the competition, ignoring bias, I'd expect 1 in 10 comparisons to be with another aboriginal player. Not sure that's the case, unfortunately.

Flip it around, white players should be compared with white players 90% of the time, ignoring any bias.

I think you often see Aboriginal players compared to other Aboriginal players because they have a certain X-factor that a lot of white players just don't have, they tend to move better and have more silky skills. There are exceptions of course, the closest comparison I can think of for Zac Fisher is Wingard, mainly because they move in a similar fashion close to the ground and have a similar kicking technique.

Before people suggest getting player x can they advise who in the 22 they replace?

If they dont make the 22 there is no point trading for them. Just keep recruiting dfa's as backups.

Case in point: newman. Would he be a replacement for byrne?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Depends on the value we'd be getting him for if its a late pick definately consider it .
Another question as an example if we had some injuries to defenders who would you rather come in Shaw/Oshea or Newman ?

I still think people are being protective. Like I said, I personally have a tendency to compare players based on physical characteristics no matter who they are, it's just the way my brain is wired. I look for patterns rather than having a good memory for details.

It’s funny how it’s played out that Sheil ‘had a choice’ as to where he was going. GWS told him where to go as we wouldn’t deal our 1st pick and the Hawks had nothing to give...

Sheil is not Kelly so 2 early first rounders is not in our wheel house...

Time to load up on 2019 picks...

Back on Fasolo I, if his comment about his contract is true then I already love the bloke. That confidence and attitude is perfect. Allot of players would of started to look elsewhere for a multi year deal, or started some rumours in order to get us to offer another year.. Kudos, I expect him to deliver, he was a handy player prior to his mental health issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back