Bluemour Discussion Thread XVII - Coniglio means Rabbit in Italian!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think anything pre AFL has to be taken with a grain of salt. It is so so hard to win a premiership in the 21st century, much less four in seven years.
It has always been difficult to win a flag - I don’t think that the 21st century can be claimed to be harder...To think so unfairly diminishes the efforts of previous champion teams and players.

It has always been difficult to win a flag - I don’t think that the 21st century can be claimed to be harder...To think so unfairly diminishes the efforts of previous champion teams and players.

Of course it does given there's an additional 6 teams involved.

What was 1 vs 11 is now 1 vs 17 = Big difference. It's around a 50% differential.

Dodoro gave up 2 x 1st round picks (2018 & 2019) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

#Dodorotrades

I laughed my head off watching video of Dodoro's face to announce Shiel signing - looked like he had just eaten a S*** sandwhich!! :'( :'( :p

Round 1, 1981 v Richmond at VFL park. I don't recall the Buzz in that game, but have distinct memories of a wiry Hunter floating in front of packs across half back taking what seemed to be effortless marks (even if he sometimes got crunched). Amazing to be able to add that kind of talent to an already star-studded team.

From Bluseum on that match Sieg:

Carlton combined well under new coach David Parkin to defeat 1980 premiers Richmond by 10 goals. Peter Bosustow was at his brilliant best for the Blues while Michael Roach kicked six goals for the Tigers. - Football Record.

What was 1 vs 11 is now 1 vs 17 = Big difference. It's around a 50% differential.
We also used to have to play each other twice - at true home and away venues rather than the current compromised and commercially focused “fixture”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could argue that fewer teams meant better quality teams overall with talent concentrated more therefore more even - so just as hard to win for different reasons.

I hope that was meant to be a joke mate.

Grain of salt probably wasn't the best term to use. But yes it's much more difficult to win a flag now so I think Clarko's four flags hold more weight than Barassi's or Parkin's

And why is it so much harder?

More teams.
The introduction of a salary cap.
A higher degree of skill and professionalism within the game.

I laughed my head off watching video of Dodoro's face to announce Shiel signing - looked like he had just eaten a S*** sandwhich!! :'( :'( :p

rolling.gif

We also used to have to play each other twice - at true home and away venues rather than the current compromised and commercially focused “fixture”.

the fact that not all teams play each other twice is a bad look.

You could argue that fewer teams meant better quality teams overall with talent concentrated more therefore more even - so just as hard to win for different reasons.

You can't really argue that and there has always been better teams and poorer ones.

Would it be just as hard if only 2 teams were involved?
What if there were 100 teams involved in the Premiership race?

The fact there are more teams makes for a simple mathematical exercise.....It's harder.

Think anything pre AFL has to be taken with a grain of salt. It is so so hard to win a premiership in the 21st century, much less four in seven years.
On the contrary, once you have a bloody good team its very hard for competitors to play catch up through the draft to bridge the gap. Made even harder nowadays by free agency and the good free agents only wanting to go to teams near the top.

6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another.

Thing is, his pedigree and reputation are still very high. There's no way we'll get him "on the cheap".

Define "on the cheap"?

If Carlton have sold the club to him, and he likes what he sees from a culture perspective (and why wouldn't he, it looks tight knit) - it shouldn't be difficult to work through from there. Front load a contract that starts around $700k per year tapering to $450k per year, offer GC a very fair deal of an early second rounder for a handy flanker, or if they want to move up the draft sort out a pick swap. Season with a semi-mature body or two in an area of need (ie. Macreadie, Kerr, Polson, Lang).

I'm not saying we get him for a third rounder, or for less than the AFL average wage. I'm saying we get him for a reasonable draft pick, slight overs if anything, and on a front-ended contract by using our banked cap space.

If the stronger team and culture helps his consistency, he's every chance of being a player who can turn results our way, not just a solid citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back