Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep. It's a bit disingenuous to take SOS to task for the lack of players that he drafted starting from 8 completed seasons ago when by natural attrition probably half the draftees on all lists would be gone by this stage . Also noted that Dow, Fisher and Philp only just came off the list. Comparisons also showed that we rate favourably with pies and cats although we were likely to have had earlier draft picks by comparison.

The fact that included in that list were McKay, Curnow, Weitering, Walsh, TDK means that we are pretty much good to go.

If hindsight recruiting without placing any context with it was a paying gig we would have some genuinely rich superstars on this board.

It is you that is being disingenuous here and not placing context.

In that 2015 - 2019 period, we had 11 first round selections. Collingwood had 2 and Geelong had 3. Which club would you reasonably expect to have more still on it's list?

The nature of what we did, meant we were banking on our first round selections being largely successful. Geelong even ballsed up 2 of it's 3 (Clark and Stephens) and still won a flag in 2022, because they were going about it totally differently.

The only club you could reasonably compare us to in terms of picks during those years is Gold Coast. But when you have guns like May and Lynch walking out the door, it is not an even playing field.

Am not going to say SoS was the greatest recruiter, but do find a lot of the analysis around list managers are pretty narrow (You’ve also left out a few “SoS players” that are still best 22, like cottrell and Kennedy).

Lots of things go into making or breaking a player. Every club puts big money into development, coaching, support staff. Poor development can turn a good draft pick into a poor player, good development can turn an average player into a top 22.

As for coaching, pretty clear that Teague focused on an older playing club rather than putting game time into a lot of younger players which actually held the club back for 2 or so years.

And while I don’t think SoS was the greatest recruiter by any stretch, i thought he was the right list manager at the time. We were a basket case after Malthouse, disjointed list and in no man’s land. Instead of trying to do another “top up’ approach and bring in a messiah like Juddy, SoS, Bolton, MLG actually made some very tough decisions at the time and we’re in a better place because of it, we’ve just made the semi-finals after more than 2 decades of crap. Most of that team were SOS picks.

Obviously Vossy, Cook and Austin are doing a great job, but it isn’t “all them.” They’ve had a good base to work off.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep instead of comparing SOS 2015 draft to other drafts of his we should compare his overall draft pick success (and trades too) with that of other list managers.

There are stats out there and from memory less than half first rounders play 200 games and less than 25% second rounders etc. Recruiting is not easy.

Take a look at the 2017 Draft where we took Dow and there’s many failures in the first round: Rayner (will probably make it to 200, but not top 5 from his year), Stephenson, Clark, Coffield, O’Brien, Bonar, Brander, Ling). Even some of the ones who will probably make it to 200 games aren’t that special like Higgins. And most recruiters would have taken Dow in top 5.

Most years aren’t easy. Even 2015 where SOS excelled had some big failures for other recruiters - Schache, Francis, Hopper (average), Ah Chee, Weideman, Milera, Gresham (but Saints get back about the same they spent on him), Fiorini, Lovell, Cuningham (can’t see him getting to 200 games) all in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Breust should not stand for this deceit...Ginnivan usurping his role in the forward pocket.

He should demand a trade to Carlton immediately.
Such an underrated player.

Kicked goals when Hawks were unstoppable. Kicked goals when Hawks were trash.

Covid 2020 season aside, has never kicked less than 30 goals in a season.

High tackle numbers for a small fwd too.

Stephen Silvagni burnt many of our Ist round picks and several trades were woeful too, totally unacceptable and he should have been move on sooner.
Granted our club was not in a good position when he came on board, quire dismal structurally , little staff expertise about , little support.
Today facilities are upgraded and a massive supporter base, it’s different.
Silvagni could select a tall player , we have 3 or 4 exceptional 195cmm+, probably best in the competition.
Hopeless in selecting creative on ballers with good skills, footy IQ , and speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Austin brought in Williams. Same trade period as Saad.

He hurt us with the Williams recruitment but mended his mistake with Saad.

Austin-Healy?

Sorry, this wait til 2pm is interminable. I'll show myself out...

Thou shall covet thy neighbour's sharp-shooting small forward.

Pretty sure...

Sounds better when you add in the rest "neighbor's wife, his male servant, his female servant, his ox, his donkey, anything that is your neighbor's."

For extra covetousness

Also, can Thy's neighbours help me escape from the dungeon?
fritzl-josef.gif

It is you that is being disingenuous here and not placing context.

In that 2015 - 2019 period, we had 11 first round selections. Collingwood had 2 and Geelong had 3. Which club would you reasonably expect to have more still on it's list?

The nature of what we did, meant we were banking on our first round selections being largely successful. Geelong even ballsed up 2 of it's 3 (Clark and Stephens) and still won a flag in 2022, because they were going about it totally differently.

The only club you could reasonably compare us to in terms of picks during those years is Gold Coast. But when you have guns like May and Lynch walking out the door, it is not an even playing field.
Once again I noted that we had a lot of earlier draft picks. The object of the exercise is simply to give some context of how many other teams had fared rather than just accept the fake outrage that the original poster was trying to generate .

I am not particularly pro or anti SOS and his reign. Personally I think that he should have had a statue in his honour after the 2015 draft but that he made some serious mistakes after that. But I think that he deserves better than "there are only 8 of his draftees still on our list" without a bit of context.

Kinda makes up for the time you pushed the women & children off the life rafts to get on yourself when the titanic was sinking 😂

Rose was a b*tch. There was enough room for her AND Jack on that door!

While I don’t think SoS was the greatest recruiter by any stretch, i thought he was the right list manager at the time. We were a basket case after Malthouse, disjointed list and in no man’s land. Instead of trying to do another “top up’ approach and bring in a messiah like Juddy, SoS, Bolton, MLG actually made some very tough decisions at the time and we’re in a better place because of it, we’ve just made the semi-finals after more than 2 decades of crap. Most of that team were SOS picks.

Obviously Vossy, Cook and Austin are doing a great job, but it isn’t “all them.” They’ve had a good base to work off.

82xir6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back