McHenry (16)
Sturt (17)
Duursma (18)
Stocker (19)
Collier-Dawkins (20)
Finbar O'Dwyer (66)
Ben Silvagni (70)
underrating max king a fair bit here

Cannot emphasise enough the importance of ball movement, overlap, one-two-three handballs. Brisbane were moving the ball exquisitely in the second half. The no look handballs, the overlap, the 3 players on the boundary line with cleans hands getting the ball 30 metres down the line before bringing it inboard to a player running past.

We do NOT play this way. We win the ball through individual brilliance ie Cripps busting a pack, TDK ripping it out of the ruck duel etc. The contest, contest, contest method won't last a whole season, it is too taxing.

We really, really need to build a better ball moving system.

2018 hindsight draft 1st round (ymmv):

1 Walsh (1)
2 Butters (12)
3 Rozee (5)
4 Blakey (10)
5 Hill (24)
6 Smith (7)
7 Rowbottom (25)
8 J McInerney (44)
9 Briggs (34)
10 B King (6)
11 Rankine (3)
12 Quaynor (13)
13 M King (4)
14 Bedford (75)
15 J Clark (15)
16 Lukosius (2)
17 Answerth (55)
18 Idun (61)
19 Sparrow (27)
20 T Berry (36)
21 Caldwell (11)
22 West (26)
23 Jordon (33)

others:
Thomas (8)
C Jones (9)
Hately (14)
McHenry (16)
Sturt (17)
Duursma (18)
Stocker (19)
Collier-Dawkins (20)
Finbar O'Dwyer (66)
Ben Silvagni (70)
As others have said, Rankine too low. The other is Idun, dramatically under rated outside the west of Sydney, top 10, or horribly close.

1 Walsh (1)
2 Butters (12)
3 Rozee (5)
4 Blakey (10)
5 Hill (24)
6 Smith (7)
7 Rowbottom (25)
8 J McInerney (44)
9 Briggs (34)
10 B King (6)
11 Rankine (3)
12 Quaynor (13)
13 M King (4)
14 Bedford (75)
15 J Clark (15)
16 Lukosius (2)
17 Answerth (55)
18 Idun (61)
19 Sparrow (27)
20 T Berry (36)
21 Caldwell (11)
22 West (26)
23 Jordon (33)

others:
Thomas (8)
C Jones (9)
Hately (14)
McHenry (16)
Sturt (17)
Duursma (18)
Stocker (19)
Collier-Dawkins (20)
Finbar O'Dwyer (66)
Ben Silvagni (70)

Talent ID is the toughest gig in footy, anyone that can come close to picking the best player at every pick would be a millionaire 40 times over

Final rankings for output and impact at the next level

1 Lukosius
2 Blakey
3 B.Smith
4 B.King
5 Caldwell
6 Walsh
7 Rozee
8 Rankine
9 M. King
10 Jones
11 McHenry
12 West
13 Clark
14 Hately
15 Williams
16 Stocker
17 Thomas
18 O'Halloran
19 Valente
20 Butters
21 McLennan
22 Dawkins
23 Taylor
24 Hill
25 Scott
26 Duursma
27 McFadyen
28 Bytel
29 Kennerley
30 E. Smith
31 Turner
32 Cameron
33 Kelly
34 Briggs
35 Hamill
36 Berry

Players that are on the fringe at the bottom end of the list. Still some very good prospects

Sturt, Quaynor, Stack, Khamis, Bowman, Sparrow, Koschitzke, Foot, Joyce, Foley, Jarvis, Andrews, Nietschke, Rowbottom, McKenzie, Grundy

Get. S.D.K
l don't believe this list without adding some pieces will win a flag.
We currently have a one dimensional mid field & lack quality mid/small forwards compared to Geelong & Brisbane we are well short in this area & quality tall support for Weitering, there are some gaps that need to be addressed.

I tend to agree with this and I actually don’t think we have neither the players nor the coaches to get to that level. The Brisbane v Geelong game showed us how far off we really are. Both teams knew what they wanted to do, used the ball really well and created great chances to score. They also had a variety of players who contributed. It was probably the best game I’ve seen all year.

Talent ID is the toughest gig in footy, anyone that can come close to picking the best player at every pick would be a millionaire 40 times over

Final rankings for output and impact at the next level

1 Lukosius
2 Blakey
3 B.Smith
4 B.King
5 Caldwell
6 Walsh
7 Rozee
8 Rankine
9 M. King
10 Jones
11 McHenry
12 West
13 Clark
14 Hately
15 Williams
16 Stocker
17 Thomas
18 O'Halloran
19 Valente
20 Butters
21 McLennan
22 Dawkins
23 Taylor
24 Hill
25 Scott
26 Duursma
27 McFadyen
28 Bytel
29 Kennerley
30 E. Smith
31 Turner
32 Cameron
33 Kelly
34 Briggs
35 Hamill
36 Berry

Players that are on the fringe at the bottom end of the list. Still some very good prospects

Sturt, Quaynor, Stack, Khamis, Bowman, Sparrow, Koschitzke, Foot, Joyce, Foley, Jarvis, Andrews, Nietschke, Rowbottom, McKenzie, Grundy
Absolutely.

Hindsight drafting is an interesting exercise, but that's all it is. No guarantee that those who have succeeded would have been as successful at a different club, nor that those that haven't done so well, could have had far better careers elsewhere.

Good call on Blakey, btw.

1 Walsh (1)
2 Butters (12)
3 Rozee (5)
4 Blakey (10)
5 Hill (24)
6 Smith (7)
7 Rowbottom (25)
8 J McInerney (44)
9 Briggs (34)
10 B King (6)
11 Rankine (3)
12 Quaynor (13)
13 M King (4)
14 Bedford (75)
15 J Clark (15)
16 Lukosius (2)
17 Answerth (55)
18 Idun (61)
19 Sparrow (27)
20 T Berry (36)
21 Caldwell (11)
22 West (26)
23 Jordon (33)

others:
Thomas (8)
C Jones (9)
Hately (14)
McHenry (16)
Sturt (17)
Duursma (18)
Stocker (19)
Collier-Dawkins (20)
Finbar O'Dwyer (66)
Ben Silvagni (70)
Good effort and I tend to agree with lot of this except that Caldwell is a much better footballer than Sparrow.

Yet, when we had a decent list of fit players to choose from we flogged the Cats.

Our best is good enough, outside of Bailey Smith I don’t think we need to do too much except get a couple of nippy, creative ball users in the draft.

Then just another KPD type, would certainly take Trainor at 11 if he fell there which I doubt he will, SDK is an absolute pipedream and not going to happen.
Willing to keep using Young as second fiddle and train up JSOS over the summer, his best traits are much better suited to a backman
If we get more speed in the middle we can disrupt the oppo much better on their ball movement than this year which makes it easier to defend for the undersized like Kemp and McGovern

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not imo. But can understand some might value him higher. Where would you have him?
i'd have him in front of McInerney and quaynor at a minimum briggs lineball, he's been very unlucky injury wise and if that went into your ranking fair enough, but if he gets pass all his injury problems i think he can be top 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet, when we had a decent list of fit players to choose from we flogged the Cats.

Our best is good enough, outside of Bailey Smith I don’t think we need to do too much except get a couple of nippy, creative ball users in the draft.

Then just another KPD type, would certainly take Trainor at 11 if he fell there which I doubt he will, SDK is an absolute pipedream and not going to happen.
Willing to keep using Young as second fiddle and train up JSOS over the summer, his best traits are much better suited to a backman
If we get more speed in the middle we can disrupt the oppo much better on their ball movement than this year which makes it easier to defend for the undersized like Kemp and McGovern

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We flogged the Cats 3 months ago and not when the heat was on. A win is a win but in hindsight after beating the cats and soon to be spooner Richmond, I think we got way ahead ourselves players and coaches that is! Not to mentioned teams went to work on us and easily broke down our game plan.

We need a game plan that isn’t so bash and crash. Cannot do that style for 6 months imo and come out on top unless we have a bit more emphasis on the marking game, run and carry, slowing it down when need to and precision kicking from defence to midfield and midfield into the forward group. The dare to cut teams apart isn’t our strong suit and imo we need to do this much better in 2025 and onwards.

A key back sounds great but a key back from the draft doesn’t play in 2025 and a fair chance not in 2026. The thought of SDK also is a pipe dream but it detracts from our midfield and forward problems. We need a bit more youth injected imo but it needs to be midfield and forward. If the midfield and forward line are damaging it will restrict the ball going into opposition 50 at least 5 times a game and it means we have more opportunities to score. Even adding 2 goals a game by having a better midfield and forward line and reducing the opposition 2 goals a game by it not getting there as much and our midfield really helping out in defence, we will win much more games than we lose.

i'd have him in front of McInerney and quaynor at a minimum briggs lineball, he's been very unlucky injury wise and if that went into your ranking fair enough, but if he gets pass all his injury problems i think he can be top 5.
Fair - he did have one very good year (2022). But has been poor since. By 'hindsight', I'm not looking at potential, but at what we've seen so far. And for me, that one good year isn't enough to have him higher. But no issues with your view.

1 Walsh (1)
2 Butters (12)
3 Rozee (5)
4 Blakey (10)
5 Hill (24)
6 Smith (7)
7 Rowbottom (25)
8 J McInerney (44)
9 Briggs (34)
10 B King (6)
11 Rankine (3)
12 Quaynor (13)
13 M King (4)
14 Bedford (75)
15 J Clark (15)
16 Lukosius (2)
17 Answerth (55)
18 Idun (61)
19 Sparrow (27)
20 T Berry (36)
21 Caldwell (11)
22 West (26)
23 Jordon (33)

others:
Thomas (8)
C Jones (9)
Hately (14)
McHenry (16)
Sturt (17)
Duursma (18)
Stocker (19)
Collier-Dawkins (20)
Finbar O'Dwyer (66)
Ben Silvagni (70)
Blakey is the most damaging player from this draft atm, argument to say you can flip Walsh, Butters & Rozee around in any order depending on team needs or balance.

Rankine also top 6 for me, Quaynor 8th.

Idun a steal.

Has SOS’s fist pump turned to an uppercut yet….

I'm probably just iterating what many of us have already posted, but I'd only be okay with getting Houston if it didn't compromise our 1st round pick this year.

Even splitting the pick to give us more draft capital is risky. Pommie suggested we could split pick 11 for say picks 20 and 21 - use pick 20 and a future 1st for Houston, leaving us with pick 21. Potentially, it could then leave us open to a bid on Ben before pick 21, so we're forced to burn that pick on matching the bid and left without a 1st rounder.

I'm much more comfortable in bringing in young talent, especially with the spectre of Tassie looming very soon. High draft picks are more valuable now than in a few years time with the compromised drafts.

Which is why I'd be more than happy to trade out Owies if we can use the pick for a 19yo Konstanty who's on the improve at state league level. And under no circumstances trade out pick 11, so we can bring in some high level talented kid like a Berry or Lyndsay, rather than a more speculative pick lower down the order like we've done in recent years.

I'm fine bringing in 'older' role players with 3rd and 4th round picks like Garcia or Rosas, or even through FA like Haynes or Taylor - but we have to keep bringing in youth - not negotiable.

My wishlist:
  • Houston (only if the price is right)
  • Konstanty (Owies trade pick)
  • Garcia/Rosas (f3)
  • Haynes (FA)
  • Berry/Lyndsay (first round)
  • Campo's (FS)
  • McCartin (late pick)
  • McMahon/White (rookie)
  • Duffy (cat B)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing