Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on.

The clubs that have achieved sustainable runs over the years always had young talent coming through while their stars were at their peak.

Let's look at the teams that our very own Brian Cook helped oversee in Geelong.

Listed Elder statesmen (28+):

2008: Milburn, Harley, King (Scarlett, Mooney, Ottens were all 27)
2011: Milburn, Scarlett, Mooney, Ottens, Wojcinski, Ling
2922: Higgins, Selwood, Hawkins, Smith, Tuohy, Dangerfield, Stanley, Ceglar, Blicavs, Rohan, Duncan, Menegola, Guthrie, Dahlhaus, Stewart, Cameron, Bews

Listed Young players at the start of their prime (23 or younger) (didn't necessarily play)

2008: Stevie J, Bartel, Kelly, Byrnes, Ablett, Mackie, Stokes, Nablett, Varcoe, Selwood, Hawkins
2011: Guthrie, Hawkins, Selwood, Varcoe, Menzel, Hunt, Motlop, Duncan
2022: Parfitt, ZGuthrie, Ratugolea, Close, Henry, Stengle, Miers, De Koning, Neale, Holmes

The theme here is continuous improvement. Geelong always had a number of young guns to match the older players on the list.

People say they were a straight up old team in 2022 which is true but even then they had double digit players under the age of 23 who were capable footballers.

Obviously some of those players move on (Parfitt, Ratugolea, etc.) and not everyone makes it as far as what you hope but the fact is that at various stages all of those players were called upon to contribute to Geelong's team.

Not putting all of our eggs in a 2-3 year window but Continuous improvement.

This is the mindset Brian Cook has at Carlton and every decision he has made and his team under him have made is designed to accomplish this both on and off field.

All fair points but reality is our core, gun players have moved into the last third of their careers. Our 20-25yo’s are nice players but I wouldn’t rank them in the top 8 of the rest of the league.

When does the ‘continuous improvement’ strategy move into ‘time to maximise’ strategy?

The 20 year ‘continuous improvement’ model has got us only to a Prelim loss and the journey to #17 doesn’t look as close to me as it does others.

Entering 2024 we were on the right course but as it turned out we spluttered and other clubs have jumped us. Hawthorn, Dogs, Sydney, GWS…

As I have said, I’m not totally opposed to draft picks. However in our current position where we’re within sight of being a Top 4 contender I think it’s Go time.

Last edited:

Which is to do well in finals. Does it matter if we skipped a step? Where'd Bulldogs finish in 2016?

Mate, if we win a flag, I don't care if we finished 8th in H&A

The whole point of top 4 is to increase likelihood of going deep into finals. It is not a requirement.

Exactly, which is the point I'm trying to make...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we go to the draft and we get 3 top 25 picks that work out and the Campo boys, add to that (only going to make players 25 and under):
Tdk
Cowan
Walsh
Cerra
EHollands
OHollands
Moir
Lord
Wilson
Motlop
Binns
Kemp etc

There’s no rebuild coming. A reset maybe but that happens. Each year we probably bring in 7 or so players so plenty of unheard of players will be on our list over the next 5 years and many will be greats of our club
thats a shit ton of faith in our player development

Nope, that’s not Soapy - he gets quality info but as he explained was asked to keep it under his hat.

Given that he stated it wasn’t a game changer, it’s just as likely not going to happen as it’s not a key piece and dependent on other things also happening.

Some people get cryptic for the likes & attention, others are just respectful of there relationships & good enough to share with us what they can.

Nailed it. It's this simple.

If you don't agree or don't like what I post that is your decision. No issue at all BUT why the crap and personal attacks. It's seflish, poor and just ruins it for everyone. Positive is it's only a few

Like the majority on here I hang out for info from people like EP and M3. It's awesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back