Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver wants to be traded to Geelong too.
They are getting Smith, Martin and potentially Oliver. They will be premiership favourites next year with these trades

Yep an injury prone player,a cultural deadbeat and someone who REALLY loves to have a good time.

Won’t make top 4.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To play devils advocate. It’s a risk & it may work, it may blow up.

The assumption that Geelong will just fix clarry everything will be rosey & he will be back to his best isn’t accurate. They failed with Jack Steven for example.

Then with Jack Martin, they may get him right, but he may only be a 5-10 game a year burst player, like with Carlton & struggle to stay on the park. Been countless examples of clubs thinking they will get a player right & it not working. Just as many as successful.

Bailey Smith, that 2021 finals season was unreal, then the first half of 2021. However the rest of 2022 (after his off field stuff) wasn’t great, neither was 2023. No where near the top level we saw in that finals series. To the point where WB moved him out of the middle & he couldn’t break in. We are assuming they are getting the 2021 finals series Bailey Smith, but it’s been 3.5 years and a knee reco since we saw that form. Wouldn’t be the first young player to take the comp by storm, then fall away with off field stuff. See Jaidyn Stephenson. I think most after his first season & finals campaign we all thought he could be anything. When was the last time most footy fans outside of North even thought of him.

You then add their lack of ruckman, an aging Dangerfield, aging Cameron. They’d want to get them all fit and firing next year & win it. But it’s a lot of glass half full & assumptions that they can make those 3 players back to their best.

If I was Geelong I’d do it too, they show a pattern of being able to, however it’s no guarantee

Yep an injury prone player,a cultural deadbeat and someone who REALLY loves to have a good time.

Won’t make top 4.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
On Geelong board now that potentially SDK may be on the move

The cats have a never ending salary cap. Of course they do. Bailey smith models for Cotton on. Cotton on sponsors the cats. The cats pay within salary cap and cotton on pays on top of that. As for Clarry. And the rest. There is always land and property up in Geelong and Torquay. How do they get away with it? Well it’s not Carlton so all is good for the rest. This is why i dont respect Geelong footy club anymore. They all bagged Carlton for buying a premiership, it’s exactly what Geelong are doing. But media let them all be as its not Carlton.
I'm sure top quality Angus Cows also magically appear in the paddocks of those players who own "farms" down Geelong way.

The way he’s going, this Glicksy dude is gonna have more likes than ferrisb by the end of next week.
What are the ramifications??
ferrisb will have to start being funny again - this whole new leaf of thoughtful & collected with his “musings” isn’t helping his like rate 😂

I think you're confusing 'breaks away from opponents' with 'works into space'.

I'm not doubting his endurance base or strength over the ball for his size, I'm doubting his ability to play as a full-time AFL midfielder unless something successfully changes in his athletic profile.

Berry resembles how Fogarty plays. Ultimately he's a better and longer kick, but I think you're maybe slightly overvaluing Berry and undervaluing Fogarty's best footy.

Let's not forget he was a first round pick in a similar range, someone who wasn't spoken about as highly at the end his draft year until very late in the piece because he'd missed a bunch of footy with injuries:

Anyway, better this gets picked up in the draft thread if anyone wants to take it further, just quote this post in there! 👍
Eye catching speed? Crazy

The cats have a never ending salary cap. Of course they do. Bailey smith models for Cotton on. Cotton on sponsors the cats. The cats pay within salary cap and cotton on pays on top of that. As for Clarry. And the rest. There is always land and property up in Geelong and Torquay. How do they get away with it? Well it’s not Carlton so all is good for the rest. This is why i dont respect Geelong footy club anymore. They all bagged Carlton for buying a premiership, it’s exactly what Geelong are doing. But media let them all be as its not Carlton.

How does this compare to the Judd deal
And the money that was taken away from him into his contract from visy. Isn’t there something written in afl
Rules now that you can’t do that anymore.

Several things.

Firstly, the deal will be very closely scrutinized by the AFL with a fine tooth comb.
Geelong have long had a model that the players buy into that all players put the success of the club first, they historically take under market value to put the team first. Wages are often worked out on age rather than just sheer ability and strong leadership across the years has allowed them to attract marquee players on occasions as the playing group agrees its in the best interest of the club.

Secondly the lifestyle factor, on paper it sounds ridiculous because its not like Geelong is Noosa, but its more lifestyle in the sense that it is still a "small town" in comparison to Melbourne and has a single fan base. So once you are a Geelong player, you are a Geelong player for life. Opportunities arise more easily after retirement than in a bigger city like Melbourne with so many competing teams. Not saying they don't happen here too.

In regards to the difference between Visy deal and Cotton on deal, Judd did not work for Visy before coming to Carlton, and arguments could be made that he didn't work for Visy whilst at Carlton or even afterwards, outside a couple of meet and greats and a talk or two.
Smith has been working for Cotton On for years, so it is more difficult to determine what exactly constitute a dodgy club side hustle and what is his actual earnings from his work. But I reiterate, in this day and age, things aren't going to get by the AFL like they used to.
Even when a player from Carlton gets a good deal on a Hyundai that is taken into account in terms of TPP and soft cap.

Someone made the point after I started this post, we have 5-6 players that will be nudging the 1m mark at points across the next 5 years, Geelong have 1.

So instead of us all sitting here and rumour mongering about how they must be cheating, it would be better for us as a club to look at how they have developed this long term sustainable model, and figure out how we can do something similar.

The process has started with Cook and Austin, but we've had a few shocking historical contracts, both player and soft cap, to clear off our books and mindsets to change before it goes from an cultural idea to an institution.

I believe we are starting to be on the right path now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The process has started with Cook and Austin, but we've had a few shocking historical contracts, both player and soft cap, to clear off our books and mindsets to change before it goes from an cultural idea to an institution.
I was all agreeing with your post until this

Harry, Charlie, Cripps and Walsh have all signed their deals whilst Cook has been here, a few of these will form part of the 5 nudging $1M.

It’s hard to manage a list with several big earners like that. Brisbane don’t have many in deals like that, so how do other teams seemingly keep players on modest deals but we are paying big $$$$

You’re setting a dangerous precedent coming out of the “sin bin”, being thoughtful, measured, realistic & hopeful.

Your giving them just cause to lay the smack down on the rest of us 😂
Gotta say, it's been a painful 2 weeks.
I promise to be a good boy because it's right on trade time! Lol

The threads have had everything from rugby to list management to a very rare rumour.
All kinds of bits n pieces - not unlike one of my stir-fry creations!

Thanks to the ITK's and the usual suspects like Soapy and Arrow for posting some food for thought and keeping my sanity (I think????) 😆

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But in the top 100 earners of 2024, Carlton had 7 and the Cats have 3. Maybe it has to do with what you said or maybe the spread their cap more even than we do

That’s world dartboard championship stuff those articles, blindfolded…wouldn’t believe a single thing about it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we can swing SDK it would be a fantastic outcome. He can slip into a backline where we need a defender (I’d argue biggest need, never really replaced Jones). Bit second to that it would make TDK signing far mire likely & possible end up making him a blue for life.

It would not only give us an 8 year+ defender, but a 6 year + ruckman. Both that are rated incredibly high

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back