Hot Topic Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is happy with Haynes+ DFA and possible multiple 1st round picks this year with a bit of pick swapping, I would be happy with that. We can still contend as well as adding youth to the squad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not enamoured with Haynes. Think he’s fallen off the cliff as an AFL player (unless he can return fit & firing, a welcome response).

Not the smartest bloke either, if anyone caught him on Guy Montgomery’s Spelling Bee (guernsey) - yes, holding that against him :)

Very unpopular opinion I'm sure, but a flying Stringer could legit be the difference between winning a flag or not.
Yep , how could we go wrong with a bloke who constantly plays better in a contract year and then peters out, has a fair bit of historical baggage about scandals and who's club has just been warned by the AFL about the people that he is keeping company with. Would constantly get in Harry and Charlie's way looking for cheap goals.

Play a fit Ashton Moir in that role and we might get 10 goals less but we will be a much better team both now and in the future.

Yep , how could we go wrong with a bloke who constantly plays better in a contract year and then peters out, has a fair bit of historical baggage about scandals and who's club has just been warned by the AFL about the people that he is keeping company with. Would constantly get in Harry and Charlie's way looking for cheap goals.

Play a fit Ashton Moir in that role and we might get 10 goals less but we will be a much better team both now and in the future.
100%, there is no way that tools ego would allow him play 3rd tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah thanks. Remember reading that now. Must have mixed up my rumours!

I think it was the same rumour but when asked if the player would be a game changer Soapy said no - so someone we need but not a game changer

fair enough and could be someone like Brennan Cox as mentioned (who does have a long contract and also finished second in Freos best and fairest in 22 and made the All Australian squad of 44 in 22 also)

And Freo are also now looking at bringing in Tim Kelly and do have to resign Bradshaw next season and then Serong the following year. So they do have some salary cap pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Geelong are ruthless in the trade period. We, are not. Simples.

I don't understand this. We have been aggressive at the trade table for years.

In the last five trade periods, looking at players brought in via trades / free agency / DFAs, it's Carlton 12 vs Geelong 10

If we look at how many of those have been 'big names', its Carlton 5 vs Geelong 3.5*

Geelong are better at trading than we are. But we are not less aggressive or less ruthless^. Simples.

Notes:

Big names:
  • Carlton: Martin, Saad, Williams, Cerra. Half points for each of Hewett and Acres
  • Geelong: Cameron. Half points for Stengle, Bruhn and Henry. Plus I'm adding Bowes as a full point due to how ballsy that deal was.
# Last five years was not a cherry pick. Going back further actually tilts the scales more in Carlton's favour.

^ Less ruthless = more Ruthy?

Message this morning from someone I trust that gets most things right. In response to questions I asked a day ago

1. SDK - No but we will always ask. He is happy at Cats
2. Houston - Port would have to move a fair bit on their position. Picks the issue not money
3. Papley - No
4. Looking at "player" to take over salary and get cheap. If his club signs their target he may be "forced" out and we will take contract
5. Petracca - Just won't happen and we could never satisfy asking price
6. Graham Wright spoken to about CEO role. Not interested in football role
7. A number of a DFA's being interviewed and having medicals
8. Perfect world we will get 2-3 first round picks

My comment: I know people would like to hear "big names" but I just can't see it. The messages to me have been consistent and for months. Draft picks, Campo twins and some targeted cheap trades or DFA's is our focus

So - this potential salary dump player - is there any way you can indicate how long a deal they're on? Ballpark? Is this like a we take their salary for 2025 to help the other club and get an improved draft position ourselves, and then we kick them to the curb a year later? Or are we taking on a player with years left to run?

Reckon the salary dump could be from GCS. Losing Luko, but signing Rioli on big bucks. They also have a swag of mega talented academy players they'll need to re-sign, and more coming through the door.

Wouldn't be surprised if it may be someone like Joel Jeffrey, who signed a contract extension at the end of 2023 taking him through to the end of 2028. I actually rate him, but may be considered superfluous to their needs with the talent they've brought in. Clogging up their list for the next 4 years at a time they'll need to extend contracts.

Or maybe someone like Rosas, who's still got a year remaining on his contract that we'll take on without the need to give anything up.

GWS would be the other mob who may be a candidate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back