Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

The free agency compensation system is a complete farce. Strikes me as the AFL wanting to manipulate outcomes according to what suits them at a given time.

Either scrap compensation altogether, make it minimal (eg band one is end of first round and only for top 50 players in the competition) or just scrap free agency altogether.

The fact that clubs can get better outcomes from losing a player via free agency than they would in an open market trade is absolutely ridiculous.
It’s a tough one for me, players don’t want to be stuck playing for poor performing clubs and have a right to better themselves in the hope of achieving success.

In cases where players leave bottom clubs, not being compensated will further entrench those clubs to the bottom.

I don’t mind the compo I just think it’s a mess, just change it to 3 bands, each at the end of each round, with actual clear thresholds that are made public.

I don’t think there would be as much composing if the compensations handed out yesterday all happened after the 1st round.

So let me get this right....in summary:
  • we've secured Haynes for a year, no triggers
  • Kennedy staying put at the Blues
  • Young staying put at the Blues
  • Carroll off to WCE
  • nobody wants Owies, so either accept what we're offering or bugger off
  • Houston now in the too hard basket
  • Trac in the way too hard basket
  • SDK apparently wants to come over but staying put for now
  • Membrey a possibilty so we don't have to play against him
  • Papley.....nup
  • Konstanty rumoured to be a target
  • Pies in the box seat for GCS 1st round pick
  • we have a mystery salary dump player who doesn't really move the needle
  • Harry being targeted by the Lions according to some flog journo
  • Austin won't give up our 1st round pick under any circumstances
  • Austin targeting Berry in the draft

Have I missed anything?
Yep all signs pointing to a club pushing hard for a flag 😝

• Carroll off to WCE
  • Papley.....nup

Have I missed anything?
We’re getting Pavlich and some idiot stole the BlueVein’s BigFooty account and is masquerading around the joint like he’s been here forever.

God I loathe that bloke.

It’s a tough one for me, players don’t want to be stuck playing for poor performing clubs and have a right to better themselves in the hope of achieving success.

In cases where players leave bottom clubs, not being compensated will further entrench those clubs to the bottom.

I don’t mind the compo I just think it’s a mess, just change it to 3 bands, each at the end of each round, with actual clear thresholds that are made public.

I don’t think there would be as much composing if the compensations handed out yesterday all happened after the 1st round.
The problem with the end of round compo is the bottom side could lose a Dustin Martin and get pick 19 and the top side could lose Perryman and get 20.
I don’t mind the equalisation part of it but just get rid of the first round picks.

Picking up Kennedy and TDK not a bad result for Gibbs but could have been a lot better.

LOB was disappointing but that draft class wasn’t great and the idea behind getting him in theory (fast, outside player, good kick) was fine he just didn’t develop how we wanted (could have been our fault too). Most of that first round draft class was disappointing and included Rayner (not worth a number one pick), Stephenson, Clark, Coffield, Bonar, Brander, Matt Ling, etc. Had we taken Cerra or LDU ahead of Dow we would have considered that year a win.

Alas we didn’t and had to give up more for Cerra later. Interestingly Freo turned the Pick 6 we gave up into Jye Amiss (great result for them) and steak knives for their Jordan Clark trade (they have Geelong their pick 22 plus our future third).

GWS did take that pick 28 from Kennedy trade and drafted Sam Taylor so big win for them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Zac Bailey, Ed Richards and Starcivich all still there, 21-30 in the draft is top shelf imo.

GWS got Daniels and Taylor in the 20s both are fantastic players

We would have to be pretty confident that we are finishing top 4 at a minimum next year to make that deal work for us. I don't mind it but very risky
Fair call. My thinking with that strategy is based on the consensus that this draft is much stronger than next years. That’s based on what I’ve read from others who follow the draft closely. I’m also assuming that we’ll trade our 2026 first into next years first round.

The problem with the end of round compo is the bottom side could lose a Dustin Martin and get pick 19 and the top side could lose Perryman and get 20.
I don’t mind the equalisation part of it but just get rid of the first round picks.

Wherever you draw the line you will have issues, currently Battle and Perryman would have got Richmond and North pick 2 and 3 if they played there, it’s just a bit wrong.

I don’t see it as taking much to fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we been unlucky, poor selections in the draft or is it just pot luck sometimes. Eg Sam Mitchell and Hird.
I didn’t rate SOSs time as LM so I don’t think it was luck, LOB was a bit of a reach at the time but in saying that, luck plays a part.

Dow was supposed to be a good player.

We would have to be pretty confident that we are finishing top 4 at a minimum next year to make that deal work for us. I don't mind it but very risky
Gotta gamble on yourself don’t you. If they see 2 they really like and can get I think you do it. If GCS pick isn’t available it’s a solid 2nd option, IF, they rate 2 players highly, you don’t do it just for the sake of getting involved in a good draft.

Taylor Adams?

I didn’t rate SOSs time as LM so I don’t think it was luck, LOB was a bit of a reach at the time but in saying that, luck plays a part.

Dow was supposed to be a good player.
Agree. I so wish he had picked LDU over Paddy even to today. LOB was uninspiring selection and bought significant wails on here alone I recall. Media questioned it heavily too. Do yourself a favour and don’t look back over that draft, it’s heartbreaking what we left on the table to pick those two. Cerra was there also. I’ve met SOS up at Noosa a few times, great bloke, magnificent footballer, but held on too tight regarding recruiting.

Agree DD that players shouldn’t be stuck with poor performing clubs.

But Saints finished 12th two games outside the 8 and GWS finished 4th, are not exactly poor performing teams in the Richmond, WCE category.

Pick 8 to a Richmond/WCE is fair enough but not a mid tiered team just outside the 8.

Gws already have 15 and 16. They don’t need 13 as well.
  • Carroll off to WCE
  • Papley.....nup

Have I missed anything?
New Snr assistant coach?

Agree DD that players shouldn’t be stuck with poor performing clubs.

But Saints finished 12th two games outside the 8 and GWS finished 4th, are not exactly poor performing teams in the Richmond, WCE category.

Pick 8 to a Richmond/WCE is fair enough but not a mid tiered team just outside the 8.
Agree, it needs a shift, why we and other clubs should does back aren’t pushing for change is frustrating.

What’s also frustrating is that we were down for years and never used this system to our advantage

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back