Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

FA Compensation is pretty easily fixed IMO.

Have the AFL and clubs agree on a formula that rates a player in following categories.

Tier 1 - Pick 5
Tier 2 - Pick 10
Tier 3 - Pick 19
Tier 4 - Pick 37
Tier 5 - Pick 56

After age 25 all players are UFA. Bidding club must pay the points value (from agreed formula), to the selling club. Payment must include a minimum of one pick from same or higher round.

Then go one step further, all discounts on FS and Academy players to be removed and payment must include a minimum of one pick from the same round.

FA Compensation is pretty easily fixed IMO.

Have the AFL and clubs agree on a formula that rates a player in following categories.

Tier 1 - Pick 5
Tier 2 - Pick 10
Tier 3 - Pick 19
Tier 4 - Pick 37
Tier 5 - Pick 56

After age 25 all players are UFA. Bidding club must pay the points value (from agreed formula), to the selling club. Payment must include a minimum of one pick from same or higher round.
Ive got a better solution.

FA Compensation =
nuclear explosion GIF

Our list issues started before SOS & Austin.

SOS made some poor decisions but he also inherited a basket case and had to get us competitive fast. GWS was the fastest way because he knew the talent and had some opportunities to get good players cheap due to injury. A gamble that could go either way. BUT, he didn’t miss with our spine.

Austin inherited a hospital ward of long term injured, and has had to offer decent picks and salary to get talent through the door, as we weren’t really seen a a destination club.

Blame our Head of Football and previous board for that.
At least we are travelling in the right direction now.
Thought we had a pretty good line-up in 2013

One has it or just doesn't, professionalism , dedication to proper preparation pre season, natural skill & footy IQ all can't be taught. Selecting appropriate talent with potential to further develop is critical.

Expecting a big year from Mots.

Was one of our standouts pre season prior to the never ending toe and hamstring issues.

Just needs to find that late 2023 form.

As I’ve said though, I think Voss buries our small forwards with too much process and defensive mindset that they’ve lost their instincts to hunt the footy and score. Need to review Hawthorn here.

Was one of our standouts pre season prior to the never ending toe and hamstring issues.

As I’ve said though, I think Voss buries our small forwards with too much process and defensive mindset that they’ve lost their instincts to hunt the footy and score. Need to review Hawthorn here.

Offer up Mots to PTA as part of any Houston trade.

I remember trying to start a “who would’ve you taken” thread after draft night one year so we could look back at it and see what the group thinking was. Unfortunately the mods deleted it.
(Drew?) Cornelius by Brisbane Lions ~#56. Bust
Always thought that Luke Parker at ~#41 was something.
Was happy with Watson @ #18. Actually all 4 of our talls that draft. BUSTS!!!
Was a big fan of M.Austin too (Gibbs draft).

Mots has been on my maybe trade list for a bit.

Would need to replace him obviously, but concerns over his output and training standards stick with me.

We know he has that high ceiling, but will he put in the work to get there?

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Years later and Dow and LOB are still a topic of discussion on here. Brisbane, GWS and Melbourne are either premiership winners or have made multiple PF’s and a GF for good measure, and all three clubs didn’t draft Harry or Charlie. I can say with confidence that their supporters don’t give Harry and Charlie a second thought.

Can we start doing the same with Dow and LOB?

EDIT: The player GWS selected was an academy player. But the point still stands for Brisbane and Melbourne.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A year of Mitchell trying to be the humble everyman, Clarko MII

Can’t wait 🤬
Mitchell is an animal, works very hard to hide it but absolutely ****ing hates to lose.
Sat at a poker table (at Crown) with him one night for 4-5hrs (after a game, was hopped up on “no doze” after a game & no chance of sleeping - his words) & was happily chatting away, lovely bloke, but damn he hated losing a pot.
Winning didn’t really phase him, but was dirty as when he lost.

I agree with a lot of the points behind this... But this just comes across as one giant melt at Voss and Austin.

Moir also is not a small forward, he's 190cm tall.
188cm -bang on 6’2 in the old language.
Can play smaller given he is creative & accurate AF off either foot, rather excited what he does next season reckon he and Williams will do some incredible things together.

Yup agree with you, that would be an astute move. Houston ball mobilityand delivery is impactful he’ll created better connections between our mids and hf creating more goal opportunities. Austin has to find a way to get it done.
Release pressure on Weitering and defense by reducing repeat multiple attacks .

188cm -bang on 6’2 in the old language.
Can play smaller given he is creative & accurate AF off either foot, rather excited what he does next season reckon he and Williams will do some incredible things together.

Moir is the one for me as well…

Recruiter from another club said to me a month ago, that Moir will be a top 5 player on our list within 3 years. His club rated him top 5 but they had other needs (defenders/mids).

Only needs 5kgs and 3 months of repeat running drills, everything else he was born with…!

He also said, elite below the knees and elite by foot, he would run him through the middle when ready…

Years later and Dow and LOB are still a topic of discussion on here. Brisbane, GWS and Melbourne are either premiership winners or have made multiple PF’s and a GF for good measure, and all three clubs didn’t draft Harry or Charlie. I can say with confidence that their supporters don’t give Harry and Charlie a second thought.

Can we start doing the same with Dow and LOB?

EDIT: The player GWS selected was an academy player. But the point still stands for Brisbane and Melbourne.
Certainly we can agree to forget, just as we’e had to forget SPS, Fisher, Stocker, Setterfield and I’m sure a few other.
These these blunders can’t be reaped, they’re unacceptable and have dragged the club down for years.

Moir is the one for me as well…

Recruiter from another club said to me a month ago, that Moir will be a top 5 player on our list within 3 years. His club rated him top 5 but they had other needs (defenders/mids).

Only needs 5kgs and 3 months of repeat running drills, everything else he was born with…!

He also said, elite below the knees and elite by foot, he would run him through the middle when ready…
Agree he looks lively as long as our new fitness coach can inspire him to prepare adequately and attain AFL fitness levels to play seniors, he may be a real find.

Certainly we can agree to forget, just as we’e had to forget SPS, Fisher, Stocker, Setterfield and I’m sure a few other.
These these blunders can’t be reaped, they’re unacceptable and have dragged the club down for years.

The draft is a crapshoot. Everyone misses on players, we’ve just missed on heaps. It’s unfortunate but can happen.

I've had a read of your post and got stuck in a 'loop' on the last sentence - which has been repeated by a lot of posters on here one way or another...can you help me out with your thinking here please it might save me some sleepless nights...

How does a player as you say because of Voss's coaching :

lose their instincts to '"hunt for the footy and score"
IF
the same coach Voss is encouraging them to be defensive- which means hunt for the ball?

Thanks in advance.

It seems to me that you are saying Voss is encouraging small forwards to be too defensive which means that they are ignoring going for the ball - but going for the ball means actually defending ( ie tackling) opposition players who HAVE the ball - that is how one GETS the ball in the first place...

If you sat down wth ANY coach you will discover they ALL want their players to hunt the ball and be good defenders - it is the SAME thing.

Maybe more people on the forum might pay more respect to opposition players - who are just better at doing their jobs than the famous Carlton team of players who apparently shoulda won a premiership if not for Voss and his too defensive stubbornness...

maybe forum posters might wnt to understand that even with a fantastic list - Fagan took 7 years and repeat efforts to win a flag - maybe just maybe it isn't as easy as armchair experts on here think it is- maybe the opposition has something to do with things?

Just spitballing here.

So let me get this right....in summary:
  • we've secured Haynes for a year, no triggers
  • Kennedy staying put at the Blues
  • Young staying put at the Blues
  • Carroll off to WCE
  • nobody wants Owies, so either accept what we're offering or bugger off
  • Houston now in the too hard basket
  • Trac in the way too hard basket
  • SDK apparently wants to come over but staying put for now
  • Membrey a possibilty so we don't have to play against him
  • Papley.....nup
  • Konstanty rumoured to be a target
  • Pies in the box seat for GCS 1st round pick
  • we have a mystery salary dump player who doesn't really move the needle
  • Harry being targeted by the Lions according to some flog journo
  • Austin won't give up our 1st round pick under any circumstances
  • Austin targeting Berry in the draft

Have I missed anything?
Our backline would be happy if we picked up Membrey!
How many times has he torn us a new one? Smh

He may not be a crumbing small forward but we'd be hard to beat in attack in aerial contests with 3 to watch out for.

Just need some good distributors in the side to maximise the advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back