Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not discounting what soapy is saying but getting Houston sounds incompatible with our two primary goals..... maximise picks in the draft and manage the cap.....we should be pressuring pies to pay up....I'm now more interested in how we get a second pick in the first round and ideally three before Bencamp
This is the way!

Edit:
Some way to get (say) Lindsay, Berry/Hannaford/Dettoli, Dennis/O’Farrell, Ben, Lucas (ideally as a rookie).

I’m slightly confused by the number of people seemingly happy to “go to the draft”. It’s incredibly rare to have someone like Cripps on your list, it might be another decade before we have someone capable of winning Brownlow. Good clubs take decisive action when they are in our position.

That does not mean the Houston is the answer or we should necessarily offer up two first rounders…that’s for the club to decide. But we’ve got probably 3 years left of prime Cripps and chipping away at the draft is probably not my preferred option, particularly given the crap shoot it invariably represents outside the first few picks.

Houston would be great but not at the price. If we were to say to Port our offer is F1 and 34 and they accept, then great. If they want to change that pick to this year, they can, but for us to change it before doing the trade costs us way too much. F1,f2 and 34 ( to get back into second round next year), and then to find something else on top of 13 to get Houston

The key to our improvement will come from within, not from from one player - better fitness, strength, conditioning and game-day coaching.

Do you think our improvement will come from that?

Houston situation is sounding like the trade period when we were after Shiel...and him and his manager making the most of the attention to drive up his value

I don't agree. We were after Shiel in a much bigger way than what we have shown to be Dan. Put a lot of eggs in that basket, met with his agent a number of times, etc. none of which we're really being talked about with Dan.

Without being disrespectful we've shown indifference here.

I don't agree. We were after Shiel in a much bigger way than what we have shown to be Dan. Put a lot of eggs in that basket, met with his agent a number of times, etc. none of which we're really being talked about with Dan.

Haven’t even fueled the jet up yet for Houston….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that’s the key take away - we are showing respectful indifference.
It’s not about him, we have a plan & are sticking to it.

It’s showing great growth & strength by the club that we aren’t grandstanding.

Massive change by the club, if u want to be destination club u do what works for u, not bleat or harp on about others being “being difficult or unfair” u just do u & do it well.

I’m slightly confused by the number of people seemingly happy to “go to the draft”. It’s incredibly rare to have someone like Cripps on your list, it might be another decade before we have someone capable of winning Brownlow. Good clubs take decisive action when they are in our position.

That does not mean the Houston is the answer or we should necessarily offer up two first rounders…that’s for the club to decide. But we’ve got probably 3 years left of prime Cripps and chipping away at the draft is probably not my preferred option, particularly given the crap shoot it invariably represents outside the first few picks.
I am “slightly confused” by the number of people selling our list short and thinking we need to reach for an expensive short term fix which will further compromise our salary cap for the next five years while passing up opportunity to future proof the list to contend for a decade or likely more.

We were “second seed” for much of the season before injury and fatigue “ended” our season. We have 3-5 youngsters (arguably more) developing rapidly to make us a significantly better team from within, without additions.

I am “slightly confused” by the number of people selling our list short and thinking we need to reach for an expensive short term fix which will further compromise our salary cap for the next five years while passing up opportunity to future proof the list to contend for a decade or likely more.

We were “second seed” for much of the season before injury and fatigue “ended” our season. We have 3-5 youngsters (arguably more) developing rapidly to make us a significantly better team from within, without additions.
Who is selling the list short? The whole point of my post is that we are right there and just need to tweak a couple of things, fill a couple of gaps. And I don’t see that happening through the draft in a timeframe consistent with the window Cripps creates. Elite ball users is a clear deficiency, and Houston is an elite ball user.

The kids coming through might help address our lack of run a bit but otherwise are unfortunately more of the same. There’s no KPD and no one i’d consider a top level user of the ball.

Again, I’m not saying Houston is the answer if the cost is too high. I’m just saying I don’t think should be blasé about missing the opportunity to improve through trading at this point.

Last edited:
Agree. Houston isn't a game changer and the cost is too much. Add some much needed young talent to not bottom out when tassie enters. Use any spare salary cap space to bring forward some payments on longer term deals.

I'd suggest you haven't watched many Port games in recent years....
I'm not discounting what soapy is saying but getting Houston sounds incompatible with our two primary goals..... maximise picks in the draft and manage the cap.....we should be pressuring pies to pay up....I'm now more interested in how we get a second pick in the first round and ideally three before Bencamp
No, they're secondary, albeit very important, goals.

Primary goal is to best position the club to win a flag.

Getting Houston in inches us towards that objective considerably.

I think that’s the key take away - we are showing respectful indifference.
It’s not about him, we have a plan & are sticking to it.

It’s showing great growth & strength by the club that we aren’t grandstanding.

Massive change by the club, if u want to be destination club u do what works for u, not bleat or harp on about others being “being difficult or unfair” u just do u & do it well.
I reckon the Club and Houston know exactly how it's going to play out, even if the exact picks aren't certain yet.... patience is a virtue as they say.

And there's zero chance DH will be at the Pies next year. Take it to the bank...

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back