Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately that’s Austin persona, he certainly ain’t charismatic, too controlled, almost suppressed.
Let’s hope something eventuates this trade period, but If not , next year with GM’s experience and modus operandi , we’ll be a different outfit , he’ll will make a positive impact, it will be noticeable.
i'm ok with that, being a list manager is more like being an actuary than a rock star, you should be looking at the long term performance of the list while managing the budget

Looks like Houston will be re-united with his high school team mate, Josh Daicos. Lets hope they have similar success as they copped a lot of 100 point thumpings back in the day.

Point stands that outside of the Geelong win, we rarely looked like a clinical team that was going to get the job done come the pointy end.

We had a number of unimpressive wins.

It was all very obvious when watching the top teams when they got serious.
You do sound a little deflated mate. Maybe you thought the addition of Houston, would take us to the promised land.

Personally, I just love the way how Austin has had a strategy and never wavered from that. Now we go to the draft and with

a little luck to go along with a lot of hard work and due diligence. We should strike gold.

For mine, this draft will set us up to be relevant for the next ten years. Whereas in five years from now, Houston will most

likely be cooked. Pies are putting all their eggs in one basket, next year will be their last hurrah.

We have forecasted this is the draft to obtain as much young talent as possible for several reasons. It's a super strong and deep draft, their is underwhelming opinions on next years draft, their is uncertainty around access to top end talent in drafts after that and on top of it all, we are not swimming in cap space. We have wiggle room, but with some very important signings coming up, it would be better to have flexibility than to go all out on a very good player, but one that isn't necessarily the absolute difference maker.
Especially with the Tasmanian team coming, they will have access to players from other clubs with the ability of offering a sign on bonus that sits outside the cap plus more which is yet to be fully revealed.

Glad we haven’t wasted draft and cap assets on Houston…

If the (above) is the case why haven’t we opened up more list spots to have a red hot crack at this draft?

Pick 12 and Campo twins is hardly adding as much talent in a super draft, that we’ve forecasted for…

Smith is the guy we actually need…our midfield is poor…relying on Walsh’s back and cerras hammys is the becoming the definition of insanity…cripps is a gun and hewett is handy but we have no other mids that are finals worthy
Funny thing is that it was only last year that Sam Walsh won the Gary Ayres award for the best finals player in the comp, even though he didn't play in the grand final (which gets 1.5 times weighted).

He got 23 votes from 3 games and was ultra impressive. And yet you are telling us that apart from Cripps and Hewett we have no other mids that are finals worthy?

I still think at worse Young is more than serviceable depth. There wouldn't be too many teams with a better backup KPD.
I would say most AFL teams have a better 2nd & 3rd KPD prospect.

Young is a shambles compared to when he started with us.
Man, if we took LDU instead of Dow imagine where we’d be?

Nothing against Dow, he was worth the pick - everyone had him there
Everyone? Are you sure about that?

And to be clear, he was my lowest ranked of the three, but we absolutely made him into a bust with how we developed him.

Same thing with O'Brien really, but again he wasn't my first choice.

Funny thing is that it was only last year that Sam Walsh won the Gary Ayres award for the best finals player in the comp, even though he didn't play in the grand final (which gets 1.5 times weighted).

He got 23 votes from 3 games and was ultra impressive. And yet you are telling us that apart from Cripps and Hewett we have no other mids that are finals worthy?
The aphorism that "You are only as good as your last game" is never more true than on the BF Carlton forum.

Has a top player ever switched his club of choice during the trade period. As in a player who had already nominated. I dont recall it ever happening.
Mitch Clark was one of the famous ones, requested to return to Freo, due to mental health issues, Brisbane regretfully agreed and while negotiating Melbourne offered him a monster deal that pissed a lot of people off. Karma got him there with mental health and lisfrancs ruining his career.

I would say most AFL teams have a better 2nd & 3rd KPF prospect.

Young is a shambles compared to when he started with us.

Everyone? Are you sure about that?

And to be clear, he was my lowest ranked of the three, but we absolutely made him into a bust with how we developed him.

Same thing with O'Brien really, but again he wasn't my first choice.
Everyone is just a catch-all term for “a lot”

Let’s not get into semantics, Twomey had him at 3rd and we took him at 3rd

Was rated at that pick or thereabouts, you would be in the minority if you were unhappy with him at 3 at time of draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Clark was one of the famous ones, requested to return to Freo, due to mental health issues, Brisbane regretfully agreed and while negotiating Melbourne offered him a monster deal that pissed a lot of people off. Karma got him there with mental health and lisfrancs ruining his career.

Then to Geelong yeah?

I know people are laughing at this but to me its on the money, the facts are Houston is a proven top quality, dual AA footballer who would makes us better next year and for years afterwards, the player at pick 12 or whatever it ends up as, has zero AFL experience and a strong possibility of not making it as a AFL player.

This is a huge gamble and regardless of how many kids we pick or where, by time they are even 22, Cripps, Doc, Sadd, Gov, Newman will most likely be gone.

So what year are we actually going all in on a premiership?

Learning
Developing
Building
Growing
Improving
Working

Am I the only one who thinks Houston gets overrated a bit? Okay, AA half back. One of the best kicks in the comp, great. Probably his main one wood though and not especially a great actual defender (could stand to be corrected).

But he might not suddenly be so effective if he came to us with our static movement and lack of separation up field anyway. Would move the needle a bit for sure (hate how common this expression has suddenly become but anyway) but not worth it if we sacrifice necessary improvement elsewhere.

Everyone is just a catch-all term for “a lot”

Let’s not get into semantics, Twomey had him at 3rd and we took him at 3rd

Was rated at that pick or thereabouts, you would be in the minority if you were unhappy with him at 3 at time of draft

He wasn't rated any higher then Cerra or LDU broadly speaking. 3,4,5 was always going to come down to who had the pick and individual club preferences.

Brayshaw was actually considered behind that group most the year but jumped to 2 late based on character more then anything. Was seen to have less upside then the other 3 but a safer pick.

I think SOS went Dow and Obrien as he was after certain types more then anything. Dow was the inside mid with pace we lacked and LOB the outside runner. LDU actually plays much quicker now then he did as a junior and Cerra was always pretty slow.

Am I the only one who thinks Houston gets overrated a bit? Okay, AA half back. One of the best kicks in the comp, great. Probably his main one wood though and not especially a great actual defender (could stand to be corrected).

But he might not suddenly be so effective if he came to us with our static movement and lack of separation up field anyway. Would move the needle a bit for sure (hate how common this expression has suddenly become but anyway) but not worth it if we sacrifice necessary improvement elsewhere.
Isn't the reason for getting him to actually help with static movement and ball movement? This is what a gun kick does, just look at hawthorn.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy not recruiting him based on the idea he won't help with movement and separation.

He also has Farrell and Burton next to him who are carbon copies of him (albeit 10% worse)

They all play the same role, all have HUGE boots and all can play small/tall and attack/defend

Suppose you could assert Newman and Doc are similar, but I would hazard a guess that Newy and Doc are shorter than Farrell and Burton as well as older

Isn't the reason for getting him to actually help with static movement and ball movement? This is what a gun kick does, just look at hawthorn.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy not recruiting him based on the idea he won't help with movement and separation.
In theory. But we've seen gun kicks like Gov and Boyd struggle at times (no matter how good you are, hard to hit up targets that aren't there), so I remain to be convinced that one elite kick makes enough of difference when personnel + game plan etc needs improving, that one would sell the farm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back