Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Having 38 saves us going into deficit on the campo deals. Excluding pick three, the points value of 38, 63, 68, 69, 72 is 704 points. This is equivalent to pick 26 - and whilst there will be a discount - theres nothing stopping Lucas getting a bid later in the draft that also requires matching which would impact 2025.

If we are looking to do some wheeling and dealing, I'd suspect we trade 38 down the order this year to allow us wriggle room up next years order (future 3rd for future 2nd or similar).

We've been saying it for a while, but there was always going to come a time where our list got to a point where we'd lose players we would like to keep.

Until now, it has been fringe types: SPS, Fisher, Dow, Setterfield. Owies and Kennedy were best 22 all year. First ones to really sting, and I can only wish them all the best.

On balance, a great trade period. As many have said, 38 was technically the right value for Kennedy, but it just seems to be in exactly the wrong place for us in this draft given the likely F/S bid.

Still, if this trade period has taught us anything, it is that Austin has a strategy. I guess he will be war-gaming all the scenarios between now and draft night.
it's a tough business

Kennedy moved on as was told he wouldn’t get the mid rotations he wanted to play & that he has value (late 2nd).
Hewett was also deemed as not as valuable as a trade option.
If we end up getting zero return for the pick, we traded the more valuable player for nothing.
Hence we should have kept the younger, more versatile player

Agree to disagree.

I think the coaches quickly realised their mistake when Hewett was dropped and he won the coaches reward.

I thought George demonstrated how important jr is to the side in the last week's of the season. If you watch the games again it was quite clear that Cripps enabled Hewett to shoulder some of the mammoth load he was taking. There's a big time level of trust that has been given there.

I don't believe for a second that Matt had the same level of trust from the coaches or his teammates. In fact, I believe in many ways Kennedy was made to be a bit of a scapegoat for the teams issues.

He was one of my absolute favorites and I'm disappointed to see him depart but Hewett is clearly more important.

You owe me a tv!

Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im really sad to lose Kennedy, just always loved how hard he tried and how much he seemed to enjoy playing footy for us. But I get it, he doesn’t have a clearly defined role in the team and was likely to play a lot less games for us going forward, and very unlikely to play in his preferred position.

He is also a free agent for life, so if we waited a year till he was out of contract, he could have walked anywhere for basically no compensation. 38 isn’t the greatest pick, but it’s probably fair, and in a strong draft we’re likely to get a decent offer for it on draft night.

Any sort of agreement to not bid on a player would be draft tampering. Any lopsided deals would be heavily scrutinised by the afl for sure.
I’m sure we look to move 38 on, but I doubt we can really get it high enough to get above a bid for Ben with our remaining assets, and I don’t think we have the list spots to take another player anyway. I’d say we trade it into next year with maybe another minor pick coming back to us this year for points.

We can't trade next year's 3rd rounder unless we get one back right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back