Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

When fit Cripps Walsh Cerra Hewett Dochety Elijah Lord is as good as anyone. Will get better this year with Pick 3, Fogarty, Kemp, Durdin, Williams, Motlop helping as well

This is supported by TDK who is as good a game winning Ruck as there is in the AFL
It's an optimistic take as far as forwards.
How much is the forwards coach and how much the players who knows.
Just watching entry into f50 and then the ball bounce around or poor kicks to Hazza and Charlie and our smalls looking lost or not chasing hard. Utterly depressing for a good part of 2024.
Kemp played one good forward game then did nothing.
Durdin? Camon. He will magically improve? Ok. Maybe he will.
Willams..injured as often as he plays.
Motlop..so disappointing last year. But many say it's because he didn't have a good preseason. So who knows.

SOme say all we need is a great mid field and the ship rights itself.
I guess we'll find out.
Is Walsh addressing his back issues over summer? No surgery mentioned.
He was very unhappy with the management around his issues is what I heard.

????

He played key forward and got double teamed by Wilkie and friends. One of the best one on one defenders in the league. Can't wait till we have smalls who demand being defended so the blatant disrespectful double and triple teaming can stop.

Owies rarely even had a man on him, opposition defense's just doubled the threat. Cost them (opposition's) 30 goals over the season but probably saved way more being kicked by the good forwards....

Basically. Kemp didn't do nothing. He attracted 2-3 players every contest. Someone else has to stand up when that happens.

????

He played key forward and got double teamed by Wilkie and friends. One of the best one on one defenders in the league. Can't wait till we have smalls who demand being defended so the blatant disrespectful double and triple teaming can stop.

Owies rarely even had a man on him, opposition defense's just doubled the threat. Cost them (opposition's) 30 goals over the season but probably saved way more being kicked by the good forwards....

Basically. Kemp didn't do nothing. He attracted 2-3 players every contest. Someone else has to stand up when that happens.
This is accurate.

We had very poor defensive pressure in our forward 50 quite often in 2024. We really need to work on this part of our game.

Owies is a good finisher but he really got off the chain more than team defence and forward structure.

TA

He's a midget, 182 cm.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I didn’t realise he was that short. I thought he was taller than that, I should have researched first.

????

I Look forward to seeing how he goes.
I know many rate him highly.

Played mid in draft year. Has all the qualities, why not?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just not true.

This board makes up so much nonsense.

"The word on Kemp coming into the season was that he was destined for more midfield minutes after finding a home as a high-marking intercept defender in 2018, but he would end up having an impact just about everywhere...

Kemp’s disposal average of an even 20 across the NAB League and national carnival is quite impressive given the deep position he often took up either end of the ground, but if he is to play more permanently in the midfield, he can work on having bucket-loads of possessions more often."

He is not, and has never been, a natural mid.

Talking in circles Kingston and we are making different points.

You're talking about that our system got us to second and some great wins early/midseason and as a result of this everything is fine. I agree with your first part, but i think there is an impact of this style late season.

My point is different. I agree our system can get us to second by round 15/16 before we are cooked by the later rounds/finals due to the sheer crash/bash effort required to implement our gameplan.

Other sides are moving towards overlap, rebound non body on body transition while we are focused on being harder and hitting harder and drawing huge packs together of players. Which style of play leads to more injuries? Which style leads to more jaded players. Hawthorn late in season running hard but overlap handball while we crash/bash ur way forward.

IMO, we just need easier less body on body avenues to goals. We can model ourselves more on Brissy than Hawks given our player list. The change in avenues just has to happen instead of down the wing and big packs. We are only a few tweaks away if Vossy/MC can get to it.

I dont mind if you dont agree and see it differently as no one can be 100% sure they are right.
Injuries got us in the end. If De Koning doesn't get hurt I think we finish top 4. The 5-day break when we played Port didn't help and it started our downfall. We had dead legs in the second half of that game.

????

I remember reading that Curnow had the most 1v1 in the league with Harry in the top 15.

Just a few thoughts...

- Kennedy picked the right team and situation. He is right behind Libba who is at the end of his career and won't play every game as he is struggling with his body.

- I hope we don't care about the height of whoever is available at #3. Look what happened with Nick Watson and the Hawks.

- "Mega Deal" :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

????

He certainly didn’t kick the soda dead in front to seal the game…
Unfort that’s the seesaw nature of Brodie Kemp’s football.

Losing Kennedy for pick 38 is dissapointing but I assume he wanted the trade ….looked like he’d made up his mind to leave immediately after being subbed off during elimination final.

So we were forced to get a deal done and in the end we took slight unders. I was thinking he’d be ~20-30.

I've said before and I'll say it again, I don't think Kennedy wanted out because he cracked the sads after being subbed out.

I think he wanted out for ongoing opportunity after being told he wasn't in the on ball mix which meant that he was to be forced to play a position he didn't believe he was best suited for if, indeed, he was even selected to play that position.

If we actually took unders (debatable) it was as much if not more our doing than his. When you publicize the fact that he doesn't fit you're future plans you don't do his confidence any good and it does SFA for his tradeability.

I believe that his trade was for the better for both he and the club but perhaps we could have handled it a bit better to maximise our return, but that's only my opinion, who knows?

It's an optimistic take as far as forwards.
How much is the forwards coach and how much the players who knows.
Just watching entry into f50 and then the ball bounce around or poor kicks to Hazza and Charlie and our smalls looking lost or not chasing hard. Utterly depressing for a good part of 2024.
Durdin? Camon. He will magically improve? Ok. Maybe he will.
Willams..injured as often as he plays.
Motlop..so disappointing last year. But many say it's because he didn't have a good preseason. So who knows.

SOme say all we need is a great mid field and the ship rights itself.
I guess we'll find out.
Is Walsh addressing his back issues over summer? No surgery mentioned.
He was very unhappy with the management around his issues is what I heard.
Our forward-line functioning together rarely occurs, and has been like that for way too long. Fix it please with everyone working to a plan/space/isolation/crumbing positions, including skills (and vision) improving the delivery by the midfielders.

2025 small/med forwards incl ZW, EH are both crafty kicks. C. Durd’s can hit up a lead. Moir is highly skilled.

Im really sad to lose Kennedy, just always loved how hard he tried and how much he seemed to enjoy playing footy for us. But I get it, he doesn’t have a clearly defined role in the team and was likely to play a lot less games for us going forward, and very unlikely to play in his preferred position.

He is also a free agent for life, so if we waited a year till he was out of contract, he could have walked anywhere for basically no compensation. 38 isn’t the greatest pick, but it’s probably fair, and in a strong draft we’re likely to get a decent offer for it on draft night.
get him back for a game or two in a few years to get him to 100 games...

Peeps need to get some perspective about Kennedy, him leaving us is no different to Hewett being pushed out of the Swans. At least we got some draft currency in return.
Absolutely!! As much as we love Bam Bam, he was obviously on the outer in our midfield pecking order when we're basically just offering him minutes as a forward.

It's already been mentioned, but probably would have found himself playing a fair bit of VFL in 2025, and we would have received nothing for him as a DFA at the end of the year. Kennedy gets himself to a club that he'll play more midfield minutes, and we get a decent pick for him.

We picked him up at pick 28 and let him go after 7 years of service for pick 38. Good outcome all around I reckon.

As an aside, pick 38 seems a waste of a pick with the possibilty of it being chewed up in a Campo bid, but I trust that Austin and Wright already have plans around using that pick or trading it.

I’ll take 1v1 with Curnow/Harry every single day of the week…they rarely are 1v1 though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Curnow is more than anyone else in the game. McKay in the top 15. They are getting more than enough 1v1 opportunities. Sitting it on their head is probably the problem.
We were the best in the league going inside 50 though so we have to
Be doing something right

We picked him up at pick 28 and let him go after 7 years of service for pick 38. Good outcome all around I reckon.

Obviously we are biased but I think if you asked rational opposition supporters or pundits what Chugga was worth I think the consensus would be Pick #38 wasn't a bad result (call it a late 2nd rounder).

I’m not upset about pick 38 for Chugga, I would have been livid if we traded 32 for Kemp though.

I’m pumped we won’t be trying to put a square peg in a round hole trying to fit in Kennedy and allow us to have more pace in the team

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back