News Bock off to Gold Coast!

Remove this Banner Ad

His management can make him sound like he is doing the best thing for the club regarding final payments all they like but I don't think his is missing out on too much of a B & F bonus given his form this year.

Nooooooooooooooooo. At least he came out before the season was over and did it i guess. We are losing a very very good player here, one of our few elite players. This also means Stevens is likely to be best 22 for some time :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

You would expect to get a first round pick for him. So if you get one that follows your first rounder you would want to finish low next year so that you can access them. Realistically if he was to be traded he would fetch a first rounder so it is only fair!

Nooooooooooooooooo. At least he came out before the season was over and did it i guess. We are losing a very very good player here, one of our few elite players. This also means Stevens is likely to be best 22 for some time :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
New nickname: the Cockroach

2008 B & F, All Australian, only 27, i will be annoyed as hell if we don't get a first rounder.. Maybe around pick 10..

Many say when he's fit he's the best CHB around.. Ablett is being rated around bringing an early first round pick plus a late first round pick..

Stop complaining about Stevens. When a younger player outperforms him he will be dropped. Until then, he plays.

2008 B & F, All Australian, only 27, i will be annoyed as hell if we don't get a first rounder.. Maybe around pick 10..

Many say when he's fit he's the best CHB around.. Ablett is being rated around bringing an early first round pick plus a late first round pick..

Ablett will get a 1st round and a mid point 1st round for sure. He is top echelon not only a Geelong but the entire AFL.

Stop complaining about Stevens. When a younger player outperforms him he will be dropped. Until then, he plays.
How can a younger player outplay him if said younger player doesn't get a game because Stevens is playing?

... that might just be the worst sentence ever :):eek:

Always disappointing to lose a top player, however, i think that he made the right decision:
- he is probably in his final 3 years (and with some doubts over his body) and to be able to set himself and his family up financially is a big factor given that he may not have a media/coaching/other career to fall back on.
- i think its a bit over the top name-calling him as a lier etc because it is no fault of his that he has been placed in such an untenable position. The AFL are the prime culprits with the system they set up for the GC.
- probably Bock is the one top player that the Club could afford to lose in the sense that we can cover him more easily via Davis etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always disappointing to lose a top player, however, i think that he made the right decision:
- he is probably in his final 3 years (and with some doubts over his body) and to be able to set himself and his family up financially is a big factor given that he may not have a media/coaching/other career to fall back on.
- i think its a bit over the top name-calling him as a lier etc because it is no fault of his that he has been placed in such an untenable position. The AFL are the prime culprits with the system they set up for the GC.
- probably Bock is the one top player that the Club could afford to lose in the sense that we can cover him more easily via Davis etc.

Staggering to think he's only played 113 games at his age. By comparison Tippett is over halfway to that number. I get the feeling he has never really 'cashed in' and given that its very possible he wont make it to 200 games, he couldnt refuse double the salary. Things might be different if his body was sound, and he was a year or two younger. We could justify bridging the gap enough to make him stay in the same way we did Tippett.

Disappointed to lose a quality player like Bock. When up and running he is the best CHB in the competition. Having said that, of all the possible players to lose he would probably be the one you can most afford to lose. When I say that I don't mean that we will not feel his loss, because we will. What I mean is that we have a talented young kid to develop in that spot.

Davis has played some really good footy for us this year at CHB and he has the potential to develop into a genuine gun CHB. We can cover that loss better than if it were Tippett, Dangerfield, Thompson or Knights because of the depth of tall defenders that we have.

Good luck to Bock! I don't think anyone can begrudge him for taking the opportunity to set himself up for the rest of his life. We would all do the same thing in our workplace and the footy club is his work place after all.

Disappoiting to lose him especially for what will be a pretty poor compensation but it was inevitable that we would lose someone. Unfortunately it is Bock but at least we have a kid who can cover the spot for a year or 2 before developing into just as good a player.

good luck Bocky!! served adelaide well.

whatever the reasons he's gone, i've always thought he was a good player for us, he is now on a salary he deserves since he'll be carrying karmichael hunt. LOL

Staggering to think he's only played 113 games at his age. By comparison Tippett is over halfway to that number. I get the feeling he has never really 'cashed in' and given that its very possible he wont make it to 200 games, he couldnt refuse double the salary. Things might be different if his body was sound, and he was a year or two younger. We could justify bridging the gap enough to make him stay in the same way we did Tippett.
Its very different with Tippett. Tippett is the sort of player that are VERY VERY hard to find. He is one of the best tall forwards in the game. If he can get his kicking right, he would be molesting defences all season long.

The problem is that we would not (nor should we be) paying that sort of coin for a key defender. You can justify it for a key forward because you need one or 2 of those to win. It is much easier to cover key defensive post than a key forward post, hence the coin you are willing to pay for a key forward is different to what you would pay for a key defender.

Think about it, up and running, Bock is the best CHB in the league but you still wouldn't pay him as much as you would someone like Brown, Riewoldt, Franklin et al....

Its very different with Tippett. Tippett is the sort of player that are VERY VERY hard to find. He is one of the best tall forwards in the game. If he can get his kicking right, he would be molesting defences all season long.

The problem is that we would not (nor should we be) paying that sort of coin for a key defender. You can justify it for a key forward because you need one or 2 of those to win. It is much easier to cover key defensive post than a key forward post, hence the coin you are willing to pay for a key forward is different to what you would pay for a key defender.

Think about it, up and running, Bock is the best CHB in the league but you still wouldn't pay him as much as you would someone like Brown, Riewoldt, Franklin et al....

Im not really comparing salaries, rather the situation. In both cases we have had to raise the bar due to the unique circumstances of the Suns. If he was younger or in better nick, we could justify an offer that might be enough to keep him, at least compete, like we did with Tippett. Im sure we werent able to match the suns offer there.

Reportedly been offered $600,000 per year and the Crows offer would be about $150,000 per year less. Who really knows though?

I'd be shocked if you didn't get a 1st round pick you him. The new criteria has to do with how much money a guy will get paid by the Suns and how old he is. He would still have 3 good years left at a very high standard and them maybe another year or 2.

I reckon when fit Bock is our most important player. Sucks to lose him. I think Bock will be in much better form next year. I'd rather get rid of Rutten but keep Bock. The Crows could really struggle again next year.

But will Davis develop into a valuable replacment for Bock?, let's wait and see.

Which is probably exactly what happened. Why the hell should he come out and say anything else. He has a contract until the end of this season and has every right to play it out.

I dont see the Melbourne Storm ostracizing Greg Inglis at the moment.

Rugby League is a different entity as player trading mid-season has always happened. Also the Storm have to lose Inglis because of their salary cap issues. They just couldn't afford to keep him. It was just a matter of which Club would take him rather than if he'd go/stay.

I think one positive with Bock leaving is that it frees up a fair bit of coin to throw at other players out of contract.

Bock would have been on about $300-350K at Adelaide (IIRC he signed his last contract prior to his B&F and AA season). Thats now off the books. Also consider that guys like Goodwin, Edwards, McLeod and Burton would have been on similar contract. With 2 of those players only hald their salary would be counted in the salary cap.

So with the retirements and Bock's deflection we should really have about a $1 million (if not more) to play with which would allow us to "poach" a VERY good player with a front loaded contract either via a PSD or for below the market trade value.

And on top of that, you still have the draft pick/s we will get for Bock down the track but more importantly for an immidiate need, we have the salary cap room to get a player of equal quality to Nathan Bock but for a position of greater need. For around a $1M you can get a top of the range midfielder which would be a rather nice fit in our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Bock off to Gold Coast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back