Bomber right- Saints OVERRATED

Remove this Banner Ad

stopeedie

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am sick and tired of the ranting and raving in the media, and it has been happening all summer (prior to the WC), about how good St Kilda are and how they are the side of the future.

I even heard yesterday that non Footy Brain Tim Watson on SEN suggest that they had a mid field that would be the future fab four! PLLLLLLEEEEAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!

First off form in the Wizard Cup means nutthin, secondly nothing i have seen impresses me to suggest this side is as good as the lions midfield (primarily responsible for driving the greatest team in the modern era) thirdly who is going to drop out of the 8 to make room for them.

Last year it was going to be Hawthorn that was going to make a mark, and done nothing.

I have one thing to say to all the Saint heads out there and I quote Terry Wallace (who is no Lions fan) 'If you set yourself up as a contender, the lions will come out and smash you!' (This was said as the Lions kept the Hawks goalless to halftime after the Hawks suggested they were going to win the flag!

Get with reality St Kilda, you will get smashed if you put yourself up as a contender as you are doing.

The cats are doing the smart thing, going along their business in quiet manner. Does anyone remember anyone suggesting the lions were going to win the flag at the start of 2001, let alone become known as the greatest side of all time??

The cats remind me much more of the lions in the style of play to the linos than St Pretenda, they just have to improve a bit in their tackling.

Originally posted by stopeedie
I am sick and tired of the ranting and raving in the media, and it has been happening all summer (prior to the WC), about how good St Kilda are and how they are the side of the future.

I even heard yesterday that non Footy Brain Tim Watson on SEN suggest that they had a mid field that would be the future fab four! PLLLLLLEEEEAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!

First off form in the Wizard Cup means nutthin, secondly nothing i have seen impresses me to suggest this side is as good as the lions midfield (primarily responsible for driving the greatest team in the modern era) thirdly who is going to drop out of the 8 to make room for them.

Last year it was going to be Hawthorn that was going to make a mark, and done nothing.

I have one thing to say to all the Saint heads out there and I quote Terry Wallace (who is no Lions fan) 'If you set yourself up as a contender, the lions will come out and smash you!' (This was said as the Lions kept the Hawks goalless to halftime after the Hawks suggested they were going to win the flag!

Get with reality St Kilda, you will get smashed if you put yourself up as a contender as you are doing.

The cats are doing the smart thing, going along their business in quiet manner. Does anyone remember anyone suggesting the lions were going to win the flag at the start of 2001, let alone become known as the greatest side of all time??

The cats remind me much more of the lions in the style of play to the linos than St Pretenda, they just have to improve a bit in their tackling.
hahaha, gee stopeedie what a crack up, what sort of reality should we get in touch with?
You aren't the first person to have a problem with the media so why whinge about it? If the Cats beat us in the GF you'll be real happy, good onya but how are the Cats doing the smart thing when it is the media that you are complaing about??
I luv the Lions but it is a shame it has w@nker supporters like you.

Originally posted by stopeedie
thirdly who is going to drop out of the 8 to make room for them.

Overrated in some parts definitely, but add 3 wins to 2003's total and you have enough for a top 4 berth, it's that close.

I agree with everything stopeedie has said. We are totally crap and for the sake of football should be disbanded, or merged, or both.
ALL Saints supporters now believe we are going to win 10 flags in succession after making a Wizzy Cup final. I'm still in shock that we haven't won every flag since we won the 1996 preseason cup.

So in essence, if the Saints dont win every flag to 2013, every singlr Saints fan will be dissappointed and the team will be seen as failures.

And Mark Thompson is right as well. How dare we draft Hamill, Gehrig, Black Voss etc from other clubs, while the Cats picked up Murphy,White, and Street. How dare the Saints trade well.

A question for Bomber, why is Matt Mcguire playing for the Saints when he was picked up draft No 21 and was from Warnambool and played for the Geelong Falcons? Instead of whinging about the Saints draft picks, mabye he should look at his own clubs drafting and missed opportunities.

concur that brisbane are the bench mark.

can't remember, except in maybe idle threads, saints saying we are premiership material yet. (we'd like to be, heck even Melbourne and richmond are talking up their chances)

most of whats said is that we have a good midfield and a few good forwards and are a competitive side with finals asperations.

even I've said brisbane has the best midfield, and lethal is an awesome coach (no one wanted the krays 5 years ago, Brisbane couldn't give them away, now they are hot material!)

I rate brisbanes midfield as the best, collingwood as second, port as third (a hairs whisper away from collingwoods), and then a few good ones such as st kilda, west coast, freo, and adelaide.

why then if st kilda's midfield is so good weren't we in the finals? our defence leaks like akkers mouth, and our forwards are good, but not the best.

The only ones talking about st kilda winning the next five flags are idiots on the media, mostly the saints on bigfooty are defending the saints (as all clubs do from abuse - you only have to look at the poor fractured souls at carlton to know about defending their club, and sydney and brisbane justifying their salary cap bonus' to know about defending your club) from the constant criticism - we're over it, aren't you?

If we win, then we'll gloat, if we lose, we'll lick our lips and dream of a trophy not made of plastic and awarded in september...

everyone does...

Originally posted by Joffaboy

A question for Bomber, why is Matt Mcguire playing for the Saints when he was picked up draft No 21 and was from Warnambool and played for the Geelong Falcons? Instead of whinging about the Saints draft picks, mabye he should look at his own clubs drafting and missed opportunities.

We took Bartel and Kelly with our early selections. I fail to see what opportunity we've missed here.

After you took Maguire we took Steve Johnson, Gary Ablett Jnr. and Matt McCarthy.

I'm happy with our performance in that draft, given the picks we had, it stacks up with any teams drafting in that year.

BTW It's true, sarcasm really is the lowest form of humour.

Originally posted by dan warna
If we win, then we'll gloat, if we lose, we'll lick our lips and dream of a trophy not made of plastic and awarded in september

That's fine in theory Dan, however there is definitely a tone of arrogance about many St. Kilda supporters here.

You cannot blame opposition supporters for kicking up about such arrogance when it isn't justified by on-field performances.

Also, you cannot simply blame the media for building your club up when your own coach leads the hyperbole of empty rhetoric.

stopeedie, i can understand how this could be annoying you, but to imply that st kilda dont have as good a list as everyone is suggesting is absolute crap.

i agree its going overboard, but its all very accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If bomber wants people to talk up the cats then all they need do is win this game. The simpletons in the footy media jump on and off bandwagons on a weekly basis. Last week it was the bummers, we rolled them so now it's us. If the cats win this week they'll be top 4 prospects.

Personally I'd be more than happy to drop this game if it means a better focus on round one. I would hate to think an easy win this week will have us waltzing into the home&away. I'm happy for the club to have a red hot go at it, but since we play the four wizzer opponents first up in the h&a, we better be on our game because these clubs will have had a good look at us.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
We took Bartel and Kelly with our early selections. I fail to see what opportunity we've missed here.

After you took Maguire we took Steve Johnson, Gary Ablett Jnr. and Matt McCarthy.

I'm happy with our performance in that draft, given the picks we had, it stacks up with any teams drafting in that year.

BTW It's true, sarcasm really is the lowest form of humour.

mabye the first part of the post was sarcasm, but you tell me how this thread should be treated. It is a total crock.

The picks you got were excellent P&P (compared to Ball, Clarke, Dal Santo, Mcguire, and Brooks, and Gram, they stack up Ok I suppose), the point is why whinge about other clubs draft picks when you dont even pick up your own?
Why is it St.Kilda's fault that the media picks up on their young players. I'm sure the Geelong Advertiser is full of Geelong and its young team. Mabye Bomber should read your clubs local paper, but then again he wont even move there, so what can you expect?

Maybe we are overrated, but that would be by everyone except sk.kilda players, officials and supporters.
I can't remember Grant Thomas coming out and saying that we are going to win the flag this year. Or that or young players are better than Geelongs. I haven't even heard anyone from within the club say that we are a certainty for the finals.

All the hype is coming from the media, public and the opposition. I think everyone who is a saints fan and those within the club have a fair idea of where the saints are at.

Originally posted by OB1
I for one will take a lot of convincing that the saints are anywhere near genuine contenders.

Originally posted by karnaby
We've got no right to claim that we're genuine contenders to anything at present. Of course it would be bloody nice if we get some September action later in the year but to get there we'll have to earn our spot.

The above was posted on another thread, however if you want to go starting more threads about our mighty Saints all I can do is thank you for your interest:rolleyes:

phatandphreaky, maybe you'd care to provide some examples of where: "your ... coach leads the hyperbole of empty rhetoric." Then maybe we can have a go at responding to something other than an "empty" accusation.

The picks you got were excellent P&P (compared to Ball, Clarke, Dal Santo, Mcguire, and Brooks, and Gram, they stack up Ok I suppose)

You didn't draft Brooks or Gram.

the point is why whinge about other clubs draft picks when you dont even pick up your own?

I fail to see the link.

Mabye Bomber should read your clubs local paper, but then again he wont even move there, so what can you expect?

Rather petty and sad little snipe which is totally irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Yesterday's comments by Bomber Thompson are the closest thing to gamesmanship ive heard come from his mouth in his time as coach.

At the end of the day, they will count for little if the Cats lose this weekend. If by chance the boys in hoops win, then the football world may well shift its focus from the Peninsula to Corio Bay.

Originally posted by pivotal

If by chance the boys in hoops win, then the football world may well shift its focus from the Peninsula to Corio Bay.

Which may not be a good thing, Piv.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
You didn't draft Brooks or Gram.

Pedantic. traded in subsequent periods. the upshot is that the Saints have 6 first round draft picks from the 2001 draft, which is generally held as the best draft of recent years.

I fail to see the link.

Well, look at it this way, Thompson bemoans the fact that the Saints have received all of these young players because of early draft picks. McGuire is one of those young players, no point in whinging about an opposition draft if you had the chance to pick him and didn't.

Rather petty and sad little snipe which is totally irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Totally relevant. The coach obviously reads the melbourne papers, mabye he should get involved in the local community more. Anyway the snipe is not half as sad as an AFL football coach crying because the media wont give his team as much hype as the opposition. How pathetically insecure is that?

BTW P&P this has nothing to do with the quality of the Geelong kids or team, whom i rate. I reckon they have a good chance on the weekend, and would not write them off at all.
I was at Kardinia Park against the Saints last season and saw that they are a capable football team, who would only have improved since then.

Pedantic. traded in subsequent periods.

Not pedantic at all. You can't claim Brooks or Gram in your 2001 draft crop, especially when comparing drafting between teams.

Well, look at it this way, Thompson bemoans the fact that the Saints have received all of these young players because of early draft picks. McGuire is one of those young players, no point in whinging about an opposition draft if you had the chance to pick him and didn't.

Thompson's quote was:

"They've (Saints) obviously had earlier picks than us but that doesn't mean they will end up better players."

He is clearly speaking about the concession and top 5 selections, given he said "earlier" picks. Nothing to do with Maguire or pick 21.

I also fail to see how that quote is "whinging" or 'bemoaning'.
He is making a point about how a high draft pick doesn't instantly mean better.

BTW P&P this has nothing to do with the quality of the Geelong kids or team, whom i rate.

I know. I just don't see why you lot need to be so precious about Thompson's comments.

Thompson has gone on the front foot about the media coverage. He is clearly targetting the media, not St. Kilda, so i don't see the need to get all upset about it.

I'm no fan of Thompson, but i'm glad he's attempting to garner some coverage in the leadup to the match, something which will only help our membership figures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber right- Saints OVERRATED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back