Bomber right- Saints OVERRATED

Remove this Banner Ad

I admire your passion and confidence in your team, and hope it isn't dampened too greatly if your predicitions don't come to fruition.

Originally posted by Wally16
Our young players (ball, dal etc.) are smart they go to uni and stuff!!!

Yeah, nobody who went to Uni and stuff ever went out on the turps :D

Originally posted by Wojee
Replace "WILL" with "PROBABLY SHOULD" and you'd have a much more reasonable statement.

I'd personally leave the absolute predictions for about 1/2 way through the season when the teams had been able to give a better indication of how they're travelling.

YEAH YEAH I do mean that!! whan I make a statement such as
"the saints WILL make the eight"
The WILL stands for 'all things considered' such as injury, family crisis and so on"
So what Im really saying is "with the way things are proggessing and with no foreseeable problems (injury etc) I predict StKilda to make the eight!!!"

I hope I cleared that up. You gotta love me!what else can you do?

Originally posted by Wally16
Whats your point???
1996 we won the PS cup then in 1997 we made a GRAND FINAL in 1998 we made the PS cup final and played in the finals again losing to SYDNEY in the semi final by 2 pts (in sydney)!!!
The difference now??? CULTURE CULTURRE CULTURE!!! Our young players (ball, dal etc.) are smart they go to uni and stuff!!! The coach isn't taking crap we got rid of individuals like everitt Hall etc. That nucleus is bigger with Hammil, Harvey, Hayes, Reiwoldt, Black, Kosi and yep Gehrig!!

Hudghehton is now an experienced player and a leader
Aussie is 10 times better he is playing the best footy of his carreer NOW! Watch him his consistently reboundin that ball from half back

Smith, Winmar (who was always trouble) and Brown ur joking??
take your pick -
Goddard over smith L. Ball, Dal Santo both over Brown
Clarke takes Winmar's place (hopefully, but very reasonable statement that he will)

it suks cause only TIME can end this dispute in the meantime its all speculation.... BUT I speculate different!

Mate shut the hell up

It was an interesting question and yet you stick your nose in with all barrells.....

for what its worth

Clarke will be a better temperment then winmar (we are already seeing him play more consistant football) but don't expect him to come close to number 7

I loved the whole "our players are smart, they go to ui and stuff...." heck I would hate to know what that stuff is young man!

Jones was young and fast..... anyway, different team, different situation.

We had nothing to lose, as alves said on SEN today. Carlton was there to be knocked off and the saints had to prove it to themselves that they are good enough. If you had a look at the current mentality of our young players, they understand what it takes to win and a loss this saturday would not destroy us as it could have done in 96.

Wally, please just suggest that we are quietly confident and wait till we have a few decades of success before spouting the **** you say..... we are getting branded and its not us!

Originally posted by Lennyfan
...wait till we have a few decades of success ...
:D :D :D I like the sound of that, (but I hope that doesn't instantly mean that I'll be labelled as arrogant & cocky for thinking that way :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Mero
Look, I actually hope you do make it, and I support another team.
But are the Saints looking any better than they did when they won the 1995 Night Premiership?
If so, where are the improvements?
Eg Aussie Jones, Tony Brown, Joel Smith looked very good back then, and went with a nucleus of a younger Robert Harvey, Nicky Winmar and Stewart Loewe.

I am not writing to be sarcastic, I am actually curious to see where Saints fans think they are at.
Would this side beat the 1995 side? By how much?

I think the difference is in the middle group of players and the depth at the club. Back in 96 we had a few stars, (Harvey, Burke, Loewe, Everitt, Winmar) and a good group of youngsters (Jones, Brown, Smith). Other than that we had a group of players who would of struggled to get a game at almost every other club in the comp. Granted there were a few who were capable, but generally they just weren't that good. As for depth... there wasn't any.

Now, I think the middle group of players for example Voss, Powell, Penny, Hamill and others are good consistent players. Personally I think the depth is getting there aswell. Still a way to go though.

St Kilda has demonstrated it has no intelligence when it comes to footy.

I mean roatating captains??? What is this the Tackers?

That fool of a coach may think his king of the kids, but its a big boys comp out there Saint fans. Get over yourselves.

St Kilda are going to be the new Collingcant, thats already evident on this site alone!

Getting back to the source of the original post, I would have thought that Bomber would have been better to have said nothing, as all the media pressure was on the Saints to perform. He has now drawn attention to the Cats in a "what about me" kind of way, instead of just quietly and confidenly going about his job.
His beef is with the media not St. Kilda, and the media are making a meal of it!
:p

Originally posted by stopeedie
St Kilda has demonstrated it has no intelligence when it comes to footy.

I mean roatating captains??? What is this the Tackers?

That fool of a coach may think his king of the kids, but its a big boys comp out there Saint fans. Get over yourselves.

St Kilda are going to be the new Collingcant, thats already evident on this site alone!

You are a troll and a bad one at that eedie (who is eedie BTW?)

Well after starting a fairly inflammatory thread, not bothering to respond to any of the points put back to you & now this juvenile troll its off to the ignore list for you stopeedie!

Sayonara ****wit! You're a waste of space!:p

Too many fools, not enough bullets! The fact that there have been over 60 responses demonstrates I talk the talk of the people!

Its easy for fools like Joffahead and Karnaby to respond with 'troll', yet fail to articulate a comprehensive, sustainable argument.

AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE!

Too many fools, not enough bullets! The fact that there have been over 60 responses demonstrates I talk the talk of the people!

Its easy for fools like Joffahead and Karnaby to respond with 'troll', yet fail to articulate a comprehensive, sustainable argument.

And you did???????????????: rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How could anyone have an intelligent argument or debate with a fool like you?
Everything you have come up with on this thread is childish gibberish.
All inflammatory garbage. Where do these idiots come from???
You sir are now on my ignore list, you are a trolling wierdo.

Originally posted by Bobby Giovanni
Ablett, Allan, Bartel, Blake, Buckland, Callan and Moloney are all from the Falcons in the past 3 years, that is what Bomber is referring to.

Add to that Scarlett, Haynes, Ling, Graham & Riccardi, and that is a third of the list from the area. That is all Bomber was inferring.

You can add Loats and Rahilly to the Falcons/Geelong region list

Originally posted by Joffaboy

And Mark Thompson is right as well. How dare we draft Hamill, Gehrig, Black Voss etc from other clubs, while the Cats picked up Murphy,White, and Street. How dare the Saints trade well.

At least get your facts right.We got Peter Street in the draft from the Tasmanian U/18's.

God help us if these 2 teams ever got off the bottom of the ladder and actually made some real finals. :eek: Talk about completely overexcited about nothing. All of a sudden they are the 2 "Young champion" teams of the AFL because they are the final 2 left in the practice match knockout comp. God please bring on the real season... QUICK.

Originally posted by Bobby Giovanni
As for bringing up Maguire, maybe we didn't get him because he's not that good and has attitude problems. If you want to bring up the Falcons argument and disregard facts, don't use hacks like Maguire, use someone like Jon Brown and disregard the facts totally. At least then it seems like a half decent point to an outsider.

Big call
And you have watched a lot of Maguire to determine that he is a hack - someone quite promising and not yet 20 years old?
Hope (and think) this will come back and bite - bigtime

All the poster was saying is that Maguire might prove to be a bargain at pick 21.....

I am sick and tired of the ranting and raving in the media, and it has been happening all summer (prior to the WC), about how good St Kilda are and how they are the side of the future.

I even heard yesterday that non Footy Brain Tim Watson on SEN suggest that they had a mid field that would be the future fab four! PLLLLLLEEEEAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!

First off form in the Wizard Cup means nutthin, secondly nothing i have seen impresses me to suggest this side is as good as the lions midfield (primarily responsible for driving the greatest team in the modern era) thirdly who is going to drop out of the 8 to make room for them.

Last year it was going to be Hawthorn that was going to make a mark, and done nothing.

I have one thing to say to all the Saint heads out there and I quote Terry Wallace (who is no Lions fan) 'If you set yourself up as a contender, the lions will come out and smash you!' (This was said as the Lions kept the Hawks goalless to halftime after the Hawks suggested they were going to win the flag!

Get with reality St Kilda, you will get smashed if you put yourself up as a contender as you are doing.

The cats are doing the smart thing, going along their business in quiet manner. Does anyone remember anyone suggesting the lions were going to win the flag at the start of 2001, let alone become known as the greatest side of all time??

The cats remind me much more of the lions in the style of play to the linos than St Pretenda, they just have to improve a bit in their tackling.

2 things. Firstly what is SEN???
Secondly, I think the saints have been very impressive but their hopes hang on Riewoldt more than most think. With full seasons from Riewoldt and Gehrig the saints will be top 6 at least.

For what its worth, Geelong are a very good young side that can and will make an impact in the future. I expect a hotly contested next dozen years between our two sides.
Thompson uses the typical arguments trying to ***** stir, and they are not working, I reckon his mind games are a tad on the fritz.
We know we drafted well, we know we made the most of a miserable late-'90s/early noughties - so what? Dosen't that show we are smart and draft savvy? I fail to see the point of his whingey tyrade.
Cats fans, you should be proud of your team, they will be pretty good the next decade or so.

But they won't beat us, either on Saturday or in R1, we have hit a devistating and world changing groove that can't be denied!

As far as I'm concerned Bomber Thompson is well within his rights to try and get the media to concentrate on his own young players and football club. God knows the Saints administration and many of our supporters feel the same way.

My only concern is that if Thompson wants the media to talk about Geelong's young list, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that that will begin sunday morning if they win, he will have to incur the wrath of the media if they struggle again like last year.

Geelong went backwards last year and had a very disappointing season. They ended the season with a good win over the Saints in the last round that he expects everyone to have taken notice of but not the 21 weeks before that. For some unknown reason, Geelong were the one team that struggled last season to not find itself in the media spotlight.

As a saints supporter it's good to open up the newspaper and read some positive articles about our future because we have been justifiably on the receiving end of some very critical articles. When we have stuffed up, we have had journalists lining up outside the club waiting for their turn to rip into us again.

Sure, Geelong aren't receiving as much attention that they deserve this week but they also don't seem to receive the criticism in the media that they are at times entitled too. That's just one of the problems, and blessings, of not being in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber right- Saints OVERRATED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back