Bomber's list improvement suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Turn the list over.

Unlike last year............

Players turned over by club....(both lists, excludes delisted players redrafted)

Adelaide 9
Brisbane 8
Carlton 11
Collingwood 14
Essendon 8
Fremantle 8
Geelong 8
Hawthorn 11
Melbourne 10
North Melbourne 8
Port 9
Richmond 7
StKilda 9
Sydney 6
West Coast 7
Western Bulldogs 11

Wasting two rookie spots on Slattery and Neagle , and a a senior spot on Welsh and Prismall was a mistake they cant afford to repeat next year.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, But if Hird culled the list like everybody keeps saying, Crameri would have been gone :eek:.

So this season was worth doing exaclty what Hird has done. Just give everyone a chance to prove themselves, and then they will hang themselves.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, But if Hird culled the list like everybody keeps saying, Crameri would have been gone :eek:.

I didnt mention Crameri.

I mentioned Slattery Neagle Prismall and Welsh.

They needed to clean out these hacks so they had MORE Crameris on the list, not less. You're not going to find a gem if you fill your list with recycled players who arent any good. Thats the problem StKilda faced. Not enough draft picks allocated to kids.

So this season was worth doing exaclty what Hird has done. Just give everyone a chance to prove themselves, and then they will hang themselves.

Thats the beauty of Collingwoods Malthouse-Buckley transition.....there will be no "giving a year" to see how players go. List management will be seamless and there will be no settling in period to re-adjust.

I'd be tapping Fletcher on the shoulder too at the end of the year and telling him times up. I'd be trading Hille. I'd keep McVeigh but he'd be my permanant sub. Flick the four I have named, flick Reimers, and there you go.....seven list changes off the bat without even trying......and no Crameris were touched in the process.

I would start fresh (again) with a new coaching panel!

I would then take a good, long hard look at the list, and discard the majority. Leaving barely a few currently on the list (Watson's position wouldn't be 100% secure either).

Sort out the issues between Hird and Thompson.

Typical Hawks supporters.

The cattle we have is fine. There is no problem with our direction. If you had watched them all play at the start of the season (when most predicted our losses would happen), you would have seen their input well enough.

Hird knows this, and he isn't going to pull a Crazy Vossy and recruit elite players to push for a unattainable premiership so early when he knows he has the potential to help grow.

The only problem is their inability to play together consistently due to the rate of injuries, which must be fixed if we are to have anything that resembles a competitive team for the full season.

Watson gone for 4 weeks atm. Will miss almost half the season collectively.
Pears has missed half.
Hooker will miss 4+.
Gumby has missed most.
Myers gone again.
Lonergan - season.
Dempsey - season.
Winderlich - season.
Melksham has done a hammy.
Welsh has missed 1/4.
Hurley has missed a few games.
Hille's has missed a few.
Stanton has missed a few
Davey has missed a few.

And this has happened every year, for the past 5 years.

With that rate, it isn't surprising that we start off well, and crash and burn the next.

Unfortunately, until we move to Melbourne Airport, or spend big on improving our fitness staff - it'll be the same thing, over and over again.

Our players are young, they haven't grown accustomed to the rigours of AFL football. They need to become pre-conditioned to the AFL standard. Example? Geelong. Fix all of this (bar the older players) and you're going somewhere.

Wasting two rookie spots on Slattery and Neagle , and a a senior spot on Welsh and Prismall was a mistake they cant afford to repeat next year.
3 of those guys were under contract, though.

I'd say there are 5 absolutely definitely gone, and another 4 or 5 who could go either way, probably ~7 main list changes and at least 2 rookies. If we can trade or get a compo pick for 1 or 2 or 3 of them, good result.

Possible trades as well of players higher up the pecking order.

Ryder is a jet, but isnt a ruckman. He is a CHB. Put him there and leave him. Bombers are killing themselves by playing players in the wrong positions. That plus injuries to the wrong players and a lack of depth. Calls to cull players like Mcveigh and NLM are stupid. They are good mid players that are never gonna be match winners, but will add absolute quality to a side playing well. When their team mates struggle they also do. No crime in that, every side has mid range players that play better when surrounded by class. Bottom line is if the Bombers had their full side in, fit and ready looking like the following spine

Pears
Ryder
Watson
Hurley
Gumbleton

With Bellchambers in the ruck, and a fit and firing midfield including Winderlich and Jetta, they'd be in the 8 right now, at which point players like Mcveigh and NLM and Fletcher are your cream.

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Fact is they have been raped by injuries to their best players, forcing others to play out of position. Domino effect. Positive is players like Bellchambers and other youngsters are getting valuable gametime and experience.

Stanton should be traded for a player that is in a similar position at another club. At the moment I would not mind a straight swap for Gram in our case, but the Bombers might be interested in Clarke from us as well. Normally the problem with players like him isn't that they aren't good, they just need a new landscape to be in.

Stanton should be traded for a player that is in a similar position at another club. At the moment I would not mind a straight swap for Gram in our case, but the Bombers might be interested in Clarke from us as well. Normally the problem with players like him isn't that they aren't good, they just need a new landscape to be in.

:thumbsdown: No Thanks

Yeah, another 25+yo bloke with injury & disposal issues is exactly what we lack right now.

Need to recruit footballers to play every ground, not those who merely get by @ the G and Subi, and do better in the smaller confines of TD. ie, guys who cover ground well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanton is 20 X the player those 2 *******s are.

He has flaws in his game but Stanton is still a very good footballer and valuable to our team.

Would be one of the 5 hardest runners in the league.

He was one of very few that didnt stop trying on Friday night.

Bomber's list improvement suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back