Bontempelli GOTY.... there is a challenger - Matt White kicks a stunner

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me old fashioned but I prefer a goal that's 100% footy smarts as opposed to 50-50 with athleticism. Recall White doing something similar against the Crows. Pure speed is exciting, but this game is becoming enough of a running game as it is. Are we now awarding GOTY to the fastest in a 100m sprint?

Don't mean to take anything away from his goal. It was amazing that he could finish it off with a clean kick. I just see Bontempelli's and realise I'm watching pure football ability.

Great goal, the arch of the back to pull away was epic. Both the speed he was travelling at and the distance covered put it in the top handful of goals you'll see. Kingsley Hunter did similar somewhere between 99 and 02.

Bontempelli had to win the footy in close, disposes the defender, spin through traffic and snap from the boundary. Both brilliant and worthy winners but Bonti was set the bigger task and came up with the goods. Thats my call, acknowledging my bias but trying o be objective.

I usually look at these kinds of things and ask the question "Could I do it?" then go the one that is harder to replicate.

By my thinking, if you give someone enough shots from the pocket, they'll nail a few. But to run near enough full field, while a defender is coming across in a cover defence to cut that angle (even if only a little), while bouncing the ball, and finish it with that level of poise, incredible. It's not just his speed that makes it impressive, plenty of people could run quick enough, but to do it while controlling the ball so well is so damn impressive!

*I've got very little experience in the game so my opinion may not be worth much, but there it is*

By my thinking, if you give someone enough shots from the pocket, they'll nail a few.

How many would they get on their non-preferred foot under pressure after repeat efforts to win the ball?

Frankly I thought Chaplin's celebrations put his goals ahead. They're still cleaning froth off the Port supporters' seats.
To digress for a sec, I wish that Chaplin DID win GOTY.

At the awards ceremony, they could ask him how his plan of moving to a club to play as a key defender in front of big crowds and win finals on a four year contract (the four reasons he left) is going.

[\sarcasm]

Bontempelli should win it i think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was an amazing goal. at the end of the day though one of the fastest players in the AFL outran a guy and kicked the ball straight. Yes it's bloody hard to do but Bonts disposessed a bloke twice, broke a tackle and 360ed onto his non preferred to win his team the game. stop having a laugh

was an amazing goal. at the end of the day though one of the fastest players in the AFL outran a guy and kicked the ball straight. Yes it's bloody hard to do but Bonts disposessed a bloke twice, broke a tackle and 360ed onto his non preferred to win his team the game. stop having a laugh
Calm down. I think most would agree that Bontempelli is the better goal of the two.

But I would like someone to show me the time some one took the ball behind the Centre square, evaded tacklers coming from in front (ie didn't get the ball over the back and run unimpeded) and kicked a goal from 50 without it bouncing through. It was a stunning goal and would be a worthy winner.

Calm down. I think most would agree that Bontempelli is the better goal of the two.

But I would like someone to show me the time some one took the ball behind the Centre square, evaded tacklers coming from in front (ie didn't get the ball over the back and run unimpeded) and kicked a goal from 50 without it bouncing through. It was a stunning goal and would be a worthy winner.
after my rant i re-watched both goals. didn't realise how far back White was. bloody impressive. looked rooted the whole time too. i don't think it's a monty but i think it'd be worthy too.

Pretty impressive for White to run 75m only bouncing three times though. Good for the game that these things are let through but an arseh*le umpire would have pinged him

Pretty impressive for White to run 75m only bouncing three times though. Good for the game that these things are let through but an arseh*le umpire would have pinged him
3 bounces means 4 runs of 15 mtr plus 3 bounces of a couple of metres each.
Not far off but good point.

Good call. Heard one spectator yell "How far?!" while he was running, but while he technically may have run too far, it didn't "feel" that way when watching it.

Good call. Heard one spectator yell "How far?!" while he was running, but while he technically may have run too far, it didn't "feel" that way when watching it.
As I watched it, he seemed to bounce it just as the thought was crossing my mind, so it was probably the same for the umpies.

Great goal, the arch of the back to pull away was epic. Both the speed he was travelling at and the distance covered put it in the top handful of goals you'll see. Kingsley Hunter did similar somewhere between 99 and 02.

Bontempelli had to win the footy in close, disposes the defender, spin through traffic and snap from the boundary. Both brilliant and worthy winners but Bonti was set the bigger task and came up with the goods. Thats my call, acknowledging my bias but trying o be objective.

I agree, part of what's great about Bontempelli's goal is how he wins the ball, very much outnumbered by Dees, then evades tackles before slotting the snapshot. He gets a shepherd just as he takes possession, but apart from that he pretty much does it all on his own. Bontempelli's for mine.

How many would they get on their non-preferred foot under pressure after repeat efforts to win the ball?

I get that it's not your typical snap from the pocket, and don't think I'm saying it's an easy thing to do at all. On a 10th watch as I reply to this, I think the highlight of that goal for me is how easily he seemed to slip the defenders.

It could just be me, I'm a sprinter myself so maybe the leg speed impresses me more than it would others I guess?

Not repeat efforts as Schulz dished it out to him but you get the jist

This is actually more the sort of thing I had in mind when saying "give a guy enough shots and he'll nail a few" obviously these guys do it first go, which is awesome.

Hard to split. Very different goals but either would be a a worthy winner.

Not sure that the fact one is a "match winning goal" should come into it though. If that is a per-requisite, Chad Wingard's mark and goal against the Crows last year should've been up there. But I can't see a shot 25m out from straight in front winning GOTY.

Not sure that the fact one is a "match winning goal" should come into it though. If that is a per-requisite, Chad Wingard's mark and goal against the Crows last year should've been up there. But I can't see a shot 25m out from straight in front winning GOTY.

You just defeated your own point there in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bontempelli GOTY.... there is a challenger - Matt White kicks a stunner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back