News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite multiple club officials suggesting they would match St Kilda’s offer for Brad Crouch, Adelaide opted not to do so overnight.

This hands them pick 23 as compensation and allows the midfielder to walk to the Saints.

Kane Cornes believes the Crows made a mistake going early with their declarations.

“Regardless of their reasons behind it, it’s a lesson and a message to be careful with your words because right now if I’m an Adelaide fan, I don’t believe a word the Crows are telling me in terms of what they’re going to do in this trade period,” Cornes told AFL Trade Radio.

“They would have been wiser to just have said at the time; ‘we understand the pick has come through, we’ll take in all the information that we have and then make an informed decision at the point we’re ready’.

“Because right now, what they’re saying means nothing. St Kilda has absolutely bluffed their way through this beautifully and congratulations to the Saints for calling the Crows’ bluff, but the Crows look foolish.

1604522640790.png

St Kilda's list manager made all the right moves publicly. Barely spoke about the deal, worked in the background, got it done in a deal favoring his club. Has he even spoken since landing Brad?

Meanwhile, we spend months saying we don't want Brad publicly, then say it's pick 2 or match, proceeding to erode any bargaining position we had. In public. Not even at the negotiation table. Publicly for everyone to hear.

It's truly disgraceful
Th key point was the 5 year contract & the Crows strongly saying they wouldn't entertain that length .....once that position was clear, all the Crows negotiating power went out the window .....and strangely no-one at the Crows recognized that point

It meant all St Kilda had to do was make it 5 years and satisfy Brad on the $$$$ ......knowing the Crows would never match the 5 years

St Kilda could also go to the PSD if need be, knowing again the 5 years was the deal breaker with the Crows

Looking forward to further melts when we turn 23 into Jackson Hately today.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can we have clarity on this .....the pick #23 will blow out to at least #27 with NGA's and Father/son picks

Can we have clarity on this .....the pick #23 will blow out to at least #27 with NGA's and Father/son picks

There is no more blowing out from FAs. The pick will yield the 23rd best from the pool of available players. This will not change. There's no way we should offer anything better than 33 for Hately, at the most.

Despite multiple club officials suggesting they would match St Kilda’s offer for Brad Crouch, Adelaide opted not to do so overnight.

This hands them pick 23 as compensation and allows the midfielder to walk to the Saints.

Kane Cornes believes the Crows made a mistake going early with their declarations.

“Regardless of their reasons behind it, it’s a lesson and a message to be careful with your words because right now if I’m an Adelaide fan, I don’t believe a word the Crows are telling me in terms of what they’re going to do in this trade period,” Cornes told AFL Trade Radio.

“They would have been wiser to just have said at the time; ‘we understand the pick has come through, we’ll take in all the information that we have and then make an informed decision at the point we’re ready’.

“Because right now, what they’re saying means nothing. St Kilda has absolutely bluffed their way through this beautifully and congratulations to the Saints for calling the Crows’ bluff, but the Crows look foolish.

View attachment 1003702

I'm not a Kane fan, but I agree with him.

View attachment 1003702

Hate to admit it but he's 100% correct.

St Kilda's list manager made all the right moves publicly. Barely spoke about the deal, worked in the background, got it done in a deal favoring his club. Has he even spoken since landing Brad?

Meanwhile, we spend months saying we don't want Brad publicly, then say it's pick 2 or match, proceeding to erode any bargaining position we had. In public. Not even at the negotiation table. Publicly for everyone to hear.

It's truly disgraceful

And yet our GM Media & Communications continues to plod along with no accountability whatsoever.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's truly disgraceful
It sounds like our trading last year where we said for months we didn't want certain players and the market rewarded us for it.

There is no more blowing out from FAs. The pick will yield the 23rd best from the pool of available players. This will not change. There's no way we should offer anything better than 33 for Hately, at the most.

There is logical thinking and then there is the AFC thinking.. You're thinking logically.

The Atkins pick or later should be used for Hately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like our trading last year where we said for months we didn't want certain players and the market rewarded us for it.

It's catching on, though. North and Fremantle have already adopted our playbook this year and Collingwood are making a late bid to outdo us. ;)

Jump on board as your second side you might be surprised at our ascendancy. Look at our list ( King , Luko, Rowell, Anderson, Rankine, Greenwood, Sexton and watch Jy Farrar he is going to rip it up on 21) plus we are adding pick 5 and some run in Atkins and Marcov. If nothing else we will be fun to watch
I was almost there...but then you mentioned Atkins

He played 18 games in a year twice and missed complete seasons twice.
He had a needle in his groin before every game in 2017. If he'd had surgery earlier, when if flared up in the 2018 preseason, he would've been available for at least the second half of 2018.

Since his surgery he has been playing without needles and his only injury was his 4 week hamstring this year

After sleeping on it, this is my take.

The Kelly comments around matching the offer was not a deception aimed towards the fans, it was an attempt to bluff Saints, albeit a poor one.

No doubt all of the list management group and management would have been across him making those comments.

It begs the question why Kelly is coming out as the face of our list management strategies. Perhaps he has done so knowing he would take the heat off Reid and others if the strategy was not to pan out, which is admirable to an extent.

According the Kelly when Saints submitted their offer they canvassed every other club about taking Crouch if they were to match. Not a single club said they would.

Brad's manager would have communicated to the Saints that we were never going to offer 5 years.

With no other clubs entering the ring, Kelly was right in saying this considerably weakened our position. The risk of having Brad on the list for 5 years @ $700-$800k with incentives must have outweighed the risk of gaining a few extra spots on the ladder.

I think it was fine for us to explore our options with other clubs in the last few days, although communication with the fans could have been much better, although again we were kind of backed into a corner there.

The list management and Kelly now have the trade period and Draft to at least claw back some modicum of respect.

lol .. Edwards isn't coming here
That's no issue if he doesn't - he's not convinced me
After sleeping on it, this is my take.

The Kelly comments around matching the offer was not a deception aimed towards the fans, it was an attempt to bluff Saints, albeit a poor one.

No doubt all of the list management group and management would have been across him making those comments.

It begs the question why Kelly is coming out as the face of our list management strategies. Perhaps he has done so knowing he would take the heat off Reid and others if the strategy was not to pan out, which is admirable to an extent.

According the Kelly when Saints submitted their offer they canvassed every other club about taking Crouch if they were to match. Not a single club said they would.

Brad's manager would have communicated to the Saints that we were never going to offer 5 years.

With no other clubs entering the ring, Kelly was right in saying this considerably weakened our position. The risk of having Brad on the list for 5 years @ $700-$800k with incentives must have outweighed the risk of gaining a few extra spots on the ladder.

I think it was fine for us to explore our options with other clubs in the last few days, although communication with the fans could have been much better, although again we were kind of backed into a corner there.

The list management and Kelly now have the trade period and Draft to at least claw back some modicum of respect.
Good summary(far too much hysterical nonsense written about this situation) & now we move on(for god's sake!!) & to your last point, the clawing back must start with using nothing better than Pick 39 for Hately.

That's no issue if he doesn't - he's not convinced me

Good summary(far too much hysterical nonsense written about this situation) & now we move on(for god's sake!!) & to your last point, the clawing back must start with using nothing better than Pick 39 for Hately.
He needs to nominate the club to become a F/S. He's not going to nominate the club publicly, and exclude himself from potentially being picked up by 1 of the other 17 clubs, if Adelaide don't make a prior commitment to draft him

Remove this Banner Ad

News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back