News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought worked the other way re his attractiveness to us given the 20% discount we get if we nominate him.

Did you not watch the recent SANFL All Stars game where he gathered 28 disposals and found a target with almost every one of them and clearly high up in the best players for his team with his kicking and outstanding decision making and composure shining out.
Just wonder Bicks what the hold up in him being nominated FS , is it coming from a bit of lack of interest from club or do the Edwards still have a grudge against Crows .
Dont buy the we will keep options open sell ,as if another club wanted they could still and will have opportunity to call his name.

After the nervousness of waiting, finding coming to terms with pick 23 ok. Maybe the vibes from Sleepy Joe's comeback helping. The club didn't want Brad, would seem didn't buy into the culture Nicks is setting and the thought of having him there on a long contract was too great a chance with how cards were falling. Totally see Kelly's point on risk reward over 23 vs 17 of Saints. Of course Kelly and Roo shouldn't have talked up matching anything not pick 2 but these things a short-term embarrassment and not that important in the long run.

After the nervousness of waiting, finding coming to terms with pick 23 ok. Maybe the vibes from Sleepy Joe's comeback helping. The club didn't want Brad, would seem didn't buy into the culture Nicks is setting and the thought of having him there on a long contract was too great a chance with how cards were falling. Totally see Kelly's point on risk reward over 23 vs 17 of Saints. Of course Kelly and Roo shouldn't have talked up matching anything not pick 2 but these things a short-term embarrassment and not that important in the long run.
yeah, at first I was furious but I've cooled down on the whole situation. still disappointed we only got pick 23 though.

No, it wasn't the club's fault. None of it, up until the offer was lodged by St Kilda, was the club's fault. Even the (likely) fact that we were not going to be able to do better than #23 in a trade with St Kilda, even with the best efforts, was not the club's fault.

What WAS the club's fault, is that they rolled over and took the certainty of pick 23 over the risk of losing him for nothing, instead of drawing a line in the sand and saying we will not be easybeats at the FA/trade table. Even if it costs us the golden bounty of pick number effing 23.

Look, if we turn 23 plus something into a first rounder e.g. the Bulldogs, then OK, lemonade from lemons and all that. But that doesn't change the weakness, the gutlessness, of this decision.

these things don’t happen in a vacuum, the calculation by STK that they could walk all over us is what lead them to structure as they did

that calculation is ALL our fault.

from there the same estimation of who we really were informed every decision subsequently made

and they weren’t wrong were they?

Feels like we’re constantly looking after the relationship with other clubs for the next deal which never comes. The other clubs just keep profiting off us.
That's an accurate assessment .......can't think of any instance where we have benefitted

Clubs simply feed off weakness .....

We didn't match because:

1. We didn't want B Crouch on a 5 year deal
2. We really don't want B Crouch on our list on any year deal

And from what we can read into the situation, neither did any other AFL club even at a bargain price (except the Saints).

We were stupid when we said we would match if not offered pick 2 compensation. Forced VFL into a corner, and was a bad poker bluff if the above 2 points are true and well known amongst the industry.

you don’t know how many clubs tendered an offer to Brad. You don’t understand the process. He selects his preferred offer, signs a contract and that is the only one lodged with the AFL. Brad just got $700k x 4 years with a trigger for 5. All you or any other apologist knows is that was brad’s preferred offer.

Probably fail to get Hately then draft Chayce Jones midget Tasmanian cousin with pick 1.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Steal Orazio from Port by giving Dodo pick 1

Groins...that required surgical intervention that our eggspurts Burton and Haas kept telling him were manageable without surgery, hence why he was so pissed off at the time that they wasted 12 months of his football life.

And at our club that's a black mark against Brad's name, not Burton's or Hass'. Got to know your place unless you're tight with the Fagan/Chappy crew.

Do you think if we matched Saints would have walked away? When are you going to develop some football nous FFS?

Don't be too harsh, you knew Baccs would rationalise this as being good business as soon as the result was known. He can't help himself. If we'd matched and kept Brad he'd be supporting that as well. He's the pin up apologist, he can't help himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my exact main problem with it and what I have ranted about several times over the past week.

Those defending the club respond with “that’s easy to say in hindsight”.

HOW ABOUT SOME ******* FORESIGHT.

The decision was clearly made PRIOR TO ROUND 2 that he was going to be pushed out of the club.

Why the hell wouldn’t you make the decision right around the time you’re shipping off Betts, Jacobs, Greenwood, Keath, CEY and Jenkins and cash Brad in for a Top 10 pick in the 2019 or 2020 draft (we absolutely could have gotten this, and Brad clearly would’ve agreed to it as evidenced by him shopping himself around).

As a result of not doing this, we are far worse off, Brad is worse off and we have strengthened our already firm hold on “biggest basket case in the AFL” honours.

What a gong show.

To be fair, we still thought we were contending. Only CEY out of that lot didn't have a contract in front of him. JJ only pushed due to him being mouthy. Brad probably similar.

I copped sh*t when I said I had intel we wouldn’t get pick 2.
I copped sh*t when I said we wouldn’t match as they knew we wouldn’t want to risk a long term deal.

I was right on both counts.

This board was flooded by blind arrogant optimism.

Don't forget ignorance and stupidity. Liberal helpings of that too.

No, I’m not mistaken.

There was a path for St Kilda to acquire Crouch without a Band 1 offer. It happened. No mistake.

As it turned out, there was also a path for them to acquire him without a Band 2 offer LOL.

Those who refused to acknowledge that are the ones who were mistaken.

Now, as for the issue of believing we had a spine, did you not get the hint after the Lyons, Keath and Greenwood debacles that this is not actually a thing?

So yes, some of us did know how spineless the club was, and those who didn’t were mistaken.

Another major factor in how everything played out was the club’s horrendous treatment of Brad Crouch through all of this. I cannot stress enough how much of an impact this had, because it completely destroyed our bargaining position. In the end, there was no longer any hope of retaining him, even if we matched.

By Monday, it was clear that this was a “take the compo pick or Brad ends up in the draft” situation, and honestly, the fact that it got to that is one of the most ridiculous pieces of list / player / negotiation mismanagement I have ever witnessed.

The entire AFL world is laughing and so they should be.

I don't think Lyons was a debacle in the way you think it was. We got a 3rd rounder for a guy we valued at $200k/year that we only played under sufference. It wasn't that we failed to get adequate trade value for him, it's that we criminally underrated his value as a footballer. It was a player rating error, not a negotiation failure.

To buy themselves a pick. They have 15 and then 60ish, nothing in between.
I’m talking about there offer before it was submitted.

I think their sole focus was on getting Brad for no picks. Getting another pick for getting us band 1 relies on us returning the favour. I would doubt they'd have any faith that we'd understand what they did for us and they'd just end up paying Brad more $ for no benefit.

Looking forward to further melts when we turn 23 into Jackson Hately today.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

St Kilda's list manager made all the right moves publicly. Barely spoke about the deal, worked in the background, got it done in a deal favoring his club. Has he even spoken since landing Brad?

Meanwhile, we spend months saying we don't want Brad publicly, then say it's pick 2 or match, proceeding to erode any bargaining position we had. In public. Not even at the negotiation table. Publicly for everyone to hear.

It's truly disgraceful

Remove this Banner Ad

News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back