Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing will be going back in the hill trade if it 12&13 however something may be coming our way.

Doggies may do 13 and a future second /third swap to give them more currency for Hagan. Haven’t quite worked out that bit yet

I reckon it’s 10,13 and future fourth

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We’ll revisit Wednesday night. We aren’t getting 10/12 and 13 without giving something back

How do all the saints trades get done? Not saying they can’t, just interested in realistic guesses of how it all goes. By realistic I mean that dogs keep 13 and Steven goes for 37 etc

Perhaps a 4 club trade.
Saints, Freo, Dogs and Port.

Not sure on all of it, but In essence:

Freo lose Hill and 22
Gain 10 and 13 + 29

Saints lose 12, 18, Bruce
Gain Hill and 32

Port lose Dougal, Ryder, 10 and 29
Gain 12 and 18, 22

Dogs lose 13 and 32
Gain 18, Bruce

Dogs to be topped up with irrelevant upgrades etc from 3rd onwards or future picks swaps.

Perhaps a 4 club trade.
Saints, Freo, Dogs and Port.

Not sure on all of it, but In essence:

Freo lose Hill and 22
Gain 10 and 13 + 29

Saints lose 12, 18, Bruce
Gain Hill and 32

Port lose Dougal, Ryder, 10 and 29
Gain 12 and 18

Dogs lose 13 and 32
Gain 18, Bruce

Port and Dogs to be topped up with irrelevant upgrades etc from 3rd onwards or future upgrades.

I like the basis. Our 22 isnt needed and port won’t give up 29. Saints should be funding that with a future pick to freo and WB may need to give another late pick to Saints as it makes Brice quite cheap

I like it definitely a base to work with

I like the basis. Our 22 isnt needed and port won’t give up 29. Saints should be funding that with a future pick to freo and WB may need to give another late pick to Saints as it makes Brice quite cheap

Yeah I just did a quick edit and swung pick 22 to Port. Essentially swapping 29 to us. We’ll use 29 on Henry and IMO get points off another club. For example a future 2nd with Richmond for 38 and Menadue or something like that.

But yeah could just keep 22 and Port keep 29.

The essence is there.

Real saints fans should be angry at the ineptitude of their club at the moment. Brad would be annoyed too, promised so much coin for so many years yet don't want to pony up what he's worth. Pathetic.
We should be angry at the club because we did not overpay? or because we improved our draft position?

10 and 13 is within 150 points of 6 and a future second round. If we don’t get that and change Bell will walk

10 and 13 is more valuable than 6 this year, the future 2nd was seemingly proved wrong with both Barrett and McClure saying it was a 3rd

How many players in the comp do you think are on 900k plus? I would say 20-30 at the absolute maximum.

So that means Saints rate Hill in that percentage. Surely that means he is worth 2 firsts.

Pay is determined more by supply and demand of players with specific skills/positions, negotiation skills, capacity to pay and the relative resources and needs of the team trying to recruit a player (plus the relative success of a particular team). The correlation between a players rating in the comp and their paypacket is far weaker than you make out. There will be plenty of guys in the comp on 700k that are Hills equal or superior. A few play for Richmond no doubt.

Although it's fair to say that the same factors can influence how much a player is worth in picks. I guess looking at the scarcity of wingers with his skillset that adds a little to the trade cost, ditto his contract length remaining.

That said...I'm new to the thread but as a neutral observer knowing a bit about Hill from his time with us I would have thought a high first plus a bit extra (mid low second, high third) is about par? Seems others think this is unders.

FWIW I wonder if Hilly having won 3 flags is going to dent his desire and drive long term. I know he has been good for Freo but I could easily see him play a few good/ok years then decline a bit early and decide to pull the pin on his career around 30. No facts to back this up, just a feeling - I think Saints are investing too much here. His desire for mobility (Vic to WA back to Vic) is a red flag to me.

Hey Freo supporters, out of interest what would you have preferred (if could choose hypothetically):

Option A) Pick 6 this year plus next years 3rd round pick from saints (assuming saints miss finals and factoring in 2 early GCS concession picks, somewhere in range of 40 to 50); or

Option B) Pick 12 plus next years 2nd round pick from saints (per above assumption but somewhere in range of 21 to 31)?

It’s interesting. I have no idea what is better if you believe what you hear about this year’s draft being very even after picks 1 and 2...

Perhaps some saints bias, but I think either is pretty fair value. Later certainly preferable

Also, have no idea on points comparison but I’m guessing 6 to 12 is a bigger differential than moving up a whole round.

really hope this still gets done and saints haven’t blown it by being too smart with pick 6. It’s kind of lose/lose if falls over.

How do all the saints trades get done? Not saying they can’t, just interested in realistic guesses of how it all goes. By realistic I mean that dogs keep 13 and Steven goes for 37 etc

By splitting the pick 6 Freo was demanding.

Saints are doing well not bending over and being shafted on deals.

Stevens they can hold out too. Geelong are flush with picks so its not like they can play poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By splitting the pick 6 Freo was demanding.

Saints are doing well not bending over and being shafted on deals.

Stevens they can hold out too. Geelong are flush with picks so its not like they can play poor.
As GCS fan I am happy the deal don't get done, St kilda without Hill is just the same team no guarantee will climb up the ladder.

And if you were headhunted by a competitor and then they reneged right after you told your employer?
So much revisionism on this thread its amazing.

To all the Freo supporters I have one question.

What came first - Brad Hill telling Fremantle (specifically Peter Bell) that he wants to leave Freo and return to Melbourne or St Kilda putting an offer before his manager?

So much revisionism on this thread its amazing.

To all the Freo supporters I have one question.

What came first - Brad Hill telling Fremantle (specifically Peter Bell) that he wants to leave Freo and return to Melbourne or St Kilda putting an offer before his manager?

No one knows. Well, Colin Young knows and other important parties.

No one knows. Well, Colin Young knows and other important parties.
August 28 Perth News

“Obviously Brad has asked to be traded back to Melbourne,” Hill’s manager Young said on SEN on Wednesday.

We did it quite early because you want to make sure the club knows what’s going on.

So back in June/July we had a conversation with Peter (Bell) and it was an honest conversation saying that Brad for family reasons would like to move back to Melbourne.

You obviously like to keep that private and confidential, so I don’t know how that snuck out.”

August 28 Perth News

“Obviously Brad has asked to be traded back to Melbourne,” Hill’s manager Young said on SEN on Wednesday.

We did it quite early because you want to make sure the club knows what’s going on.

So back in June/July we had a conversation with Peter (Bell) and it was an honest conversation saying that Brad for family reasons would like to move back to Melbourne.

You obviously like to keep that private and confidential, so I don’t know how that snuck out.”

Are you suggesting he asked to leave, without securing an interested party? C’mon. Need two to tango. What if all the Melbourne clubs said don’t have the cap space? Then what?

Also, have no idea on points comparison but I’m guessing 6 to 12 is a bigger differential than moving up a whole round.

really hope this still gets done and saints haven’t blown it by being too smart with pick 6. It’s kind of lose/lose if falls over.

Here's the thing a few of the saints posters are missing, Brad Hill staying at fremantle isn't seen as a loss by Fremantle fans, that's the preferred outcome.

If he is going to be released by FFC with 2 years left on his contract, St Kilda will need to pay overs to get the deal done.

High Draft picks are far from a guaranteed outcome, would rather have 5 years from a known quantity like B Hill

August 28 Perth News

And Bell's stance all along has been that the club understands Brad's position and desire and we will do whatever we can to assist. However he is a contracted player who we value very highly and we will only release him if the trade suits Fremantle. Brad and his manager know that is the case.

Everyone keeps using the word "fair" in their comments. The trade doesn't have to be fair to Fremantle, it has to be acceptable to Fremantle.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I say well played St Kilda. It reminds me of when Melb last year said the Hogan deal was going to be the biggest ever then we went out and traded pick 5 to land picks for Lobb. We still got Hogan. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

I still feel something gets done here and we get a good compensation and if we don’t it doesn’t matter as my preferred long term option would be to keep Hill.

I like all this ****, it makes trade week a lot more interesting and the deals that get done are a lot more complex. There’s a lot of water to go under the bridge yet and I’m glad Freo are no longer useless at the trade game.

Hey Freo supporters, out of interest what would you have preferred (if could choose hypothetically):

Option A) Pick 6 this year plus next years 3rd round pick from saints (assuming saints miss finals and factoring in 2 early GCS concession picks, somewhere in range of 40 to 50); or

Option B) Pick 12 plus next years 2nd round pick from saints (per above assumption but somewhere in range of 21 to 31)?

It’s interesting. I have no idea what is better if you believe what you hear about this year’s draft being very even after picks 1 and 2...

Perhaps some saints bias, but I think either is pretty fair value. Later certainly preferable
Is hard for people to value draft, if Fremantle knew Tim Kelly is worth 2 first round pick and a second, I think they would swap pick 5 with GC pick 2 and take multiple second round in 2017 and future second round for Weller . You win some you lost some in trade. I rated GWS the best in trade deal.

And Bell's stance all along has been that the club understands Brad's position and desire and we will do whatever we can to assist. However he is a contracted player who we value very highly and we will only release him if the trade suits Fremantle. Brad and his manager know that is the case.

Everyone keeps using the word "fair" in their comments. The trade doesn't have to be fair to Fremantle, it has to be acceptable to Fremantle.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah all good mate - I was responding to posters who were saying St Kilda "poached" Hill and then reneged. Simply not true. We put a financial offer to a player after they said they wanted to leave their current club.

As for the trade deal - yep clearly has to be acceptable to Freo.

But I'm sure Hill and his manager were made aware by St Kilda at the time of the offer what St Kilda thought was "fair and reasonable" trade arrangement and I'm just as sure that Hill and his manager would have had the same discussions with Freo.

A bit of posturing by both parties but I suspect the deal will get done next week especially if the Doggies come to the party with 13 for Bruce.

12 & 13 for Hill (plus whatever steak knives going backwards and forwards) to make the trade look completely different to what ever was previously proposed so neither side looks like they were responsible for nearly stuffing it up.

Yeah all good mate - I was responding to posters who were saying St Kilda "poached" Hill and then reneged. Simply not true. We put a financial offer to a player after they said they wanted to leave their current club.

As for the trade deal - yep clearly has to be acceptable to Freo.

But I'm sure Hill and his manager were made aware by St Kilda at the time of the offer what St Kilda thought was "fair and reasonable" trade arrangement and I'm just as sure that Hill and his manager would have had the same discussions with Freo.

A bit of posturing by both parties but I suspect the deal will get done next week especially if the Doggies come to the party with 13 for Bruce.

12 & 13 for Hill (plus whatever steak knives going backwards and forwards) to make the trade look completely different to what ever was previously proposed so neither side looks like they were responsible for nearly stuffing it up.

I like Bruce and surprised you are trading him

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Back