News Bradshaw quits the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The club must make a move for Bradshaw in my opinion and he would be a valuable asset for our young blokes going forward. This is a massive story that no one saw coming and i am hoping we can land him one way or another.

He is a great player and even with his age he still has a couple of good years left and would be a massive win for us if we could secure his services.

Go get him Swanny. ;)

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Lets say for example he puts a 500k per year price on his head. And lets say the Blues, Hawks, Sydney, and the Dons were all interested. If Bradshaw said he only wants to play for the Blues, would the other Clubs still cough up $500k per year for a player who doesn't want to play for them? Surely desire to play for the club is a factor here, although technically any Club before us could take him if they met his contractual demands. :)

Do you remember how Carlton picked up Nick Stevens????

I remember seeing conflicting reports on this at the time. All said the midfielder guy rejected us, but most seemed to suggest Bradshaw was OK with the deal, although there were some reports that said he rejected us as well (also an Australian article from memory).

Who knows what the real situation is. Still a long shot to get him IMO but no doubt Swann's onto it.

:)

I am not sure he rejected the move. more so that the trade was not done but Carlton offered terms and he did not get traded. So his manager is aware of the "market" value of him to Carlton (his proposed salary) in comparison to Brisbanes offer.

Thats the way I read it anyway. To abrupt to get the deal done quickly with his big family and not able to get it done anyway with Ritschitelli saying no. Bradshaw thinking about the whole situation he would like to move to Victoria and wants a juicy contract and time to plan a move and not for it to be sprung on him as it was. Might also not have liked how the whole thing went and on reflection wants out.

Love it, last week he was a injury prone, 31 year old hack with nothing to give us...

Today he is a gun FF superstar, that will be our saviour...

you blokes kill me.
He's still an injury-prone, 31 year old fading gun (never a hack) with nothing to offer beyond stop-gap value. However...

Could be a handy addition
That's my view. If we get 20 games out of him over the next two years while Hendo and (fingers crossed) pick 12 come up it will have been worth it.

Agree, the Hawks salary cap is VERY tight. Crawford was on the vet list, so his departure didn't impact things. Hodge got a nice big pay boost this year as well. They're also paying Burgyone a bucketload now. :)

Crawford was NOT on the veterans list dude....AND Burgoyne is not paid a bucket load......he wanted to come to Hawthorn because he knew Clarkson & a few others.....and remember Campbell, Dew & Boyle have retired and Williams, Kennedy & McGlynn have been traded.....Pelchen is our list manager & knows exactly what he's doing!!

Henderson said that he was good mates with Bradshaw so having met Ratts and seen the new construction, Bradshaw may now fancy mentoring his young charge in the Blues forward line. Remember, Henderson was not in the frame when the first trade fell through.

Crawford was NOT on the veterans list dude....AND Burgoyne is not paid a bucket load......he wanted to come to Hawthorn because he knew Clarkson & a few others.....and remember Campbell, Dew & Boyle have retired and Williams, Kennedy & McGlynn have been traded

So Gibson and Burgoyne are on moderate contracts?

put it this way...their combined salaries wont be as much as what Crawford and Williams were combined....and we were paying round the minimum of the salary cap this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be fantastic if we could get him down to the club through the PSD but I'm not sure how we'll be able to do it.

We could give him a 1 year contract worth say 600k, then re-sign him during the year for another 1 year contract worth 150k or so. That's 750k over 2 seasons. Not saying that those would be the figures, but we'd need something like that to outprice the other clubs if we want him.

He'd be a great addition to a forward line that is in need of finding avenues to goal now that Fevola is gone. He's shown he can kick 50+ goals consistently as a 2nd tall forward so not sure he'd kick as many goals per year as he has been recently (playing 2nd fiddle to J Brown) but he'd be good for around 50 goals at full forward for 2-3 seasons.

If he wants to come play for Carlton then we should welcome him with open arms as he is a fantastic footballer, even if he is approaching the end of what has been an excellent career.

put it this way...their combined salaries wont be as much as what Crawford and Williams were combined....and we were paying round the minimum of the salary cap this year.

I'd bet a fair amount of money that the combined contracts of Burgoyne and Gibson is a fair bit more than the combined contracts of Crawford and Williams.

IIRC Crawford was on a 1 year contract and that would have been well under 300k.

You are kidding yourself if you think Burgoyne is on a contract less than 500k per season. You are also kidding yourself if you think his reasoning for coming to the Hawks was only because of his contacts with Clarkson etc.

Crawford was NOT on the veterans list dude....AND Burgoyne is not paid a bucket load......he wanted to come to Hawthorn because he knew Clarkson & a few others.....and remember Campbell, Dew & Boyle have retired and Williams, Kennedy & McGlynn have been traded.....Pelchen is our list manager & knows exactly what he's doing!!

That;s not what;s being reported, HFC cap has tightened up, due to the Burgoyne deal, so what do you think he;s on ..... dude

We should use our first pick after 12 (43?) on him. Highly doubt we have a chance getting him in the PSD - Richmond and North would probably want him.

Both Richmond and North are entering rebuilding phases.

I'd be amazed if they were even remotely interested in recruiting a 30 year old.

Out of the clubs would have a pick in the PSD better than ours, should they wish to use it, I can see only Hawthorn, Sydney and possibly Port showing interest in Bradshaw. Essendon, Fremantle, Kangaroos, Melbourne, Richmond and WCE wouldn't go near him I wouldn't have thought.

Some people are suggesting we pick him up in the ND. I am not 100% on how it works but whats stopping another club grabbing him before our pick #43. This is another example of fee agency. How shitty for a player to end up at a club or city that he doesnt want to be at.
I am not getting my hopes up until Bradshaw himself says that he wants to come to Carlton and isnt interested going elsewhere. Hopefully other clubs will get the message.

Reckon Us and Swannies would be it - cant imagine what on earth the Hawks would want with him - Buddy and Roughy might have the kfp's sewn up. As for Essendon, if Knights took him after "retiring" Lloyd, they'd just about burn the Alan Hird stand down.

If he went to the Hawks, they wouldn't be able to pay him much, and they'd play him in defense. So same situation as Brisbane. Why bother? Still reckon the Dons have a chance. Their KP forwards are terrible.

The biggest factor obviously is where he wants to go. He has plenty of time to work out the best option.

:)

If we can get 2 years cover out of him and he stays injury free then it will be a win for us to get us.

However, if he is just using us to try and get relocated back to Victoria with his family and only wants a year, then he might not be all that attractive an option.

There are some more good talls out there that have been delisted by their clubs that we should be interested in for the ND.

That being said, if we get him for nothing in the PSD and offer him the same salary for 2 years then it's a win and the lions might be feeling a bit sore around the tradesmans entrance now.

Especially if Risky quits next year to go and play for GC17 :D

Remove this Banner Ad

News Bradshaw quits the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back