News Bradshaw quits the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Team for next season. That is top 4 matieral. The spine of the team looks great.

FB: Joseph Jamison Thornton

HB: Bower Waite Russell

C: Gibbs McLean Simpson

HF: Walker Henderson Yarran

FF: Kreuzer Bradshaw Betts

RR: Warnock Judd Murphy

Bench: Hampson, Austin, Carrazzo, Fisher

If Bradshaw is happy to go to Sydney then they have more cap room than anybody else. Would Roos want him after making so many noises about "going down another path" with not wanting Fevola and trying to nurture White and co?

If I was them I would go for him if he wanted to move to NSW.

I think Roos made a decision not to worry about that sort of crap after he has just got rid of Hall..

They sit in a great poition..

Bradshaw would have had some phone calls i can tell you...hence why he is on the market....that man mountain will be wtd by many, he doesnt cause shit, has a family and wants to play footy..

If Carlton can get him, they will get a 4 year player...if he stays fit...

i say bring it on...
and who ever said dont forget Swann, I am with you, one shrewd operator and gets the job done...

it will certainly put the blues back up near the top again if they can get him....

Yep. No doubt he has a baseline offer already because of what happened in TradeWeek. It's actually worked out very well for him in the end. Wherever he goes, he should get some decent money to play out the last few years of his career. He's a better option than Barry Hall. :)

also I think another to take into account is that the man is married with 4 kids, his not a players in his mid 20's shopping around every club for the best deal with only himself to worry about. His family would want certainty pretty quick i'd think and not be left hanging wondering where there going to end up. thats why i think maybe a move to carlton would of settled in with everyone concerned

I'd be pretty confident we could price the Hawks out of it. :thumbsu:

Burgoyne has pushed there cap to breaking point, and they had to offload McGlynn and Kennedy to make some space.

We have roughly $1 mill free next year if Stevens payments go through this year.

I hope you're right BB. Getting Bradshaw to the club next year would be an a masterstroke. Given how much room we have in our cap, especially if the Stevens payment goes through this year, as you say, really price other clubs out of the equation.

Reckon Us and Swannies would be it - cant imagine what on earth the Hawks would want with him - Buddy and Roughy might have the kfp's sewn up. As for Essendon, if Knights took him after "retiring" Lloyd, they'd just about burn the Alan Hird stand down.

Look, i'm not that sure about the Swans. They have White at FF, and Goodes at CHF. If I was them, i'd be more concerned about developing White as a FF, rather than having Bradshaw come into the team - particularly when it is being reported that he wants to finish his career in Melbourne.

Some people are suggesting we pick him up in the ND. I am not 100% on how it works but whats stopping another club grabbing him before our pick #43. This is another example of fee agency. How shitty for a player to end up at a club or city that he doesnt want to be at.
I am not getting my hopes up until Bradshaw himself says that he wants to come to Carlton and isnt interested going elsewhere. Hopefully other clubs will get the message.

He is not allowed (under any circumstances) to nominate a club now. He could only do that during trade week by asking his club to arrange a trade to another club of his choice. Now that trade week is done, and it all comes down to order of picks, he cannot scare other clubs off by telling them he does not prefer to go there. His only tool is to set a price that he thinks might price him out of reach of clubs he might not want to go to but if that club stumps up his asking price he has to go there.

He also cannot put himself into the PSD or ND and then retire if he does not get selected by a club he is happy with, in fact if he is available when Brisbane have a selection in the draft he is nominated in they are within their rights to redraft him if they will meet his price. Whilst it has never been tested, I believe a club backed by the AFL would sue for breach of contract (entering a draft is a contract to go to the team that selects you provided they meet your published salary and contract length demands) should a player ever retire upon being selected.

also I think another to take into account is that the man is married with 4 kids, his not a players in his mid 20's shopping around every club for the best deal with only himself to worry about. His family would want certainty pretty quick i'd think and not be left hanging wondering where there going to end up. thats why i think maybe a move to carlton would of settled in with everyone concerned
Exactly!!!
Bradshaw is a family man and so is Roos so IF Bradshaw wanted to move his family to Sydney Roos would take him with open arms IF he doesnt i cant see Roos trying to twist his arm to make the move IMO.
Originally from Wodonga and it's closer to Melbourne than Sydney so we may have a good chance luring him back to Vic and the CFC:thumbsu:

He is not allowed (under any circumstances) to nominate a club now. He could only do that during trade week by asking his club to arrange a trade to another club of his choice. Now that trade week is done, and it all comes down to order of picks, he cannot scare other clubs off by telling them he does not prefer to go there. His only tool is to set a price that he thinks might price him out of reach of clubs he might not want to go to but if that club stumps up his asking price he has to go there.

He also cannot put himself into the PSD or ND and then retire if he does not get selected by a club he is happy with, in fact if he is available when Brisbane have a selection in the draft he is nominated in they are within their rights to redraft him if they will meet his price. Whilst it has never been tested, I believe a club backed by the AFL would sue for breach of contract (entering a draft is a contract to go to the team that selects you provided they meet your published salary and contract length demands) should a player ever retire upon being selected.

Whilst that might be technically right, I still believe that the clubs are really scared about free agency. It would only take one player to challenge the current system and it would all come tumbling down. Methinks it's in the clubs best interests to facilitate players on the rare occassions that things like this crop up.

That's great in theory, but then why is Melbourne trying to convince Ball to play for them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst that might be technically right, I still believe that the clubs are really scared about free agency. It would only take one player to challenge the current system and it would all come tumbling down. Methinks it's in the clubs best interests to facilitate players on the rare occassions that things like this crop up.

Oh I agree, this is a very delicate situation. A club doing due diligence would want to interview any prospective draftee, and based on those discussions would rule certain players out. But you wont hear anyone claim they want to come to this club or that in the press, it will all be behind closed doors. The AFL would want to maintain the illusion that their system is beyond reproach.

I beleive we are a good chance to pick him up and in fact we played a part in convincing him to move. But the biggest stimulus would have been the fact he was offered up by his club. If you remember correctly the Brisbane officials needed to start "mending fences" on the Thursday night, well they havent mended the Bradshaw fence.

I also believe Voss has put his morals on display in this one, he accepted Fev knowing "who" Fev is, he was involved in an assault at a pub himself not too long ago, and now he has shown he would be willing to risk relationships with club champions and that certain players are "expendable" to him. Not that it means much, most will measure him by his successes, but if this ploy does not come off in the next couple of seasons he has some problems up there.

I don't believe Swans or Port would draft him if he wants to return to Melbourne.

Therefore only Hawks,Blues & maybe Bombers & Saints.

I think we have an excellent chance of luring him to us.

All those Carlton haters would be shattered if we get him.

That's great in theory, but then why is Melbourne trying to convince Ball to play for them?

They have first pick, they dont need to convince him of anything, if they pick him its done. I beleive what they are doing is trying to convince him not to nominate for the ND, where they would not use their first picks on him and risk losing him but in the PSD he is theirs with no risk, no missed kids. That is what that is all about.

I don't believe Swans or Port would draft him if he wants to return to Melbourne.

Therefore only Hawks,Blues & maybe Bombers & Saints.

Hawks and Saints i strongly doubt would want him, both have two key forwards, and a few quality small forwards floating around ... Bombers maybe, but i'd imagine they would probably want someone younger to replace Lloyd/Lucas...

I think you'll find that the penalty for not going to a club you're drafted to is deregistration for a number of years. So if you where happy enough to retire from the AFL, you could tell clubs not to pick you or you will retire. I heard Simon Atkins considered this when Fitzroy where looking to select him in the draft, but he never went through with it. Rules may have changed now, but I believe this is the AFL rule still.

Hate to rain on the parade guys but there is very little chance of Bradshaw playing for the Blues next year...
Our PSD pick is too far down the order, would need him to nominate the ND then pick him up with a late pick!

Would love him at the club, think his influence over a couple of years would be priceless...

Fingers and toes crossed!

I have a very strong feeling he will end up at the Blues, a master stroke from Swann & Co. I remember reading on BF a while ago that this was going to happen.

I know technically he can't nominate to come to us but surely if he wants to come to Carlton and we want him, other clubs would leave him alone?

If he wants to come to play at the Blues i'm sure Swann & co can make it happen after all look what we got for Fev:D
I wonder if Fev looks that great in Vossy's eyes now after losing Bradshaw??:rolleyes:
Dogs act if the Fev situation has forced Bradshaw to leave the Lions.

Hope we get him

FB: Joseph Jamison Thornton

HB: Bower Waite Russell

C: Gibbs McLean Walker

HF: Garlett Henderson Houlihan

FF: Kreuzer Bradshaw Betts

RR: Warnock Judd Murphy

IC: Hampson, Armfield, Carrazzo, Simpson

EM: Mark Austin - Mitch Robinson - Heath Scotland - Setanta O’hAilpin - Shaun Grigg - Richard Hadley

This is a top 4 team Go Blues

Chris Judd – suspended for the first 3 games so Shaun Grigg comes into the side for him

Remove this Banner Ad

News Bradshaw quits the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back