Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isn't that obvious? Then the no 1 focus is setting up an environment that can sustain a long period of wins. Question is when do we transition.

The transition will occur naturally, it's not as if the players are being told they can win and by how much depending on the week/print space given to our situation.

Our two best performing young players from our drafting are McKay and Weitering who are in year 4. Rest will come together unless we blink and blow it up.

I have yet to see a compelling and logistical argument put forth that any other coach around the league could do a better job than Bolton right now, given the construction of our list and our current injuries.

If he has lost the players, then yeah, questions would have to be asked, but that doesn't seem the case at all (quite the opposite in fact)

Far too early to say yet whether the playing group has progressed or regressed, need to wait until the bye weekend to make a fair appraisal.

Some rational thought and patience would be helpful.

Doc was injured last year, just as he is this.

Most of the rest all have another season under their belt compared to this time last year.

If there are no signs of improvement come mid season, then you'd be crazy to think Bolton will remain locked in.

So far the exact traits of our games last year have been evident this year. 0-1 goal quarters, being outnumbered in contests, can't score when we get it i50, no forward pressure to lock it in our f50, lack of defensive pressure from our mids etc.

That isn't because Doc and Charlie aren't playing. If it keeps up then the coach must be held accountable.

So the clubs no 1 focus is not to win???
reckon there's a difference between our clear efforts to win every game and being judged on the results of those games...……...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've pointed to every excuse under the sun as to why we're not winning games and that you'll only judge us when we have the 'cattle'

Twisting things and agenda driven

Never said it doesn't matter. Said it wasn't a priority or the only reason

As for every reason, I have given very few.

If it occurs I will, but you shouldn't wait until you've got the flu to treat it, you vaccinate against it

That analogy makes no sense whatsoever. It would be more accurate to say you should probably wait to confirm you have cancer before undergoing radical experimental treatment that may or may not fix the problem.

I have no doubt that Bolton is a decisive factor in our retention of young players. He's clearly not going easy on them, nor is the club, they're being challenged and pushed to their limit, but the coach is obviously mindful that it is important to create a buffer between expectations and results so they don't become disillusioned and jump ship.

What happens if we blame Bolton for not winning enough games during a rebuild (on an unprecedented scale), and in doing so Charlie jumps to Geelong, SPS and Fisher go West, McKay gets poached by Hawthorn etc. etc? I understand we can't just keep a good bloke on forever despite poor performance, but at this point in time "performance" is more than just wins and losses. Wins and losses need to be a component of it, but when people call for Bolton's head it's pretty much the only thing they can build their case on, and in doing so they completely overlook the other KPI's the club would have in place.

Brad Scott came out and said he'd underestimated how much learning would need to happen when they added Hall, Polec and Pittard to their side, and that bringing in those new players plus their draftees has had an immediate detrimental effect on their on-field cohesion. The caveat is that they believe when everything clicks, those players will add significant value to their side. Ex players and media pundits have agreed - it'll take time. And here's a Carlton who have added McGovern, Newman, Fasolo, Setterfield, Walsh and Gibbons to their starting 22.

People just need to chill out on the Bolton element. GWS went 18th, 18th, 16th, 11th in their first four seasons, and they had many more concessions than we have had to bring in quality players. Bolton has seen us go 14, 16, 18, but we'd had to cull and replace players year on year, rather than being able to cherry pick some senior players and then dominate one draft to fill out our list.

Watching our team play, it is plain to me that we are So. Damn. Close. We've gone from having the occasional passage of good play, to being able to score heavily across a full quarter. Yes, there are shit quarters as well. Fatigue, focus, opposition reactions - they're all things that we can learn to overcome with more games into our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back