Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s why the comparison to Hardwick is a silly one.

Bolton still has to prove himself. It’s why I’ve said I want to see how he goes with a list not killed by injuries and a lack of depth. Once that happens he gets time to prove himself. If he can’t coach, punt him.
That's the crux of it

That’s why the comparison to Hardwick is a silly one.

Bolton still has to prove himself. It’s why I’ve said I want to see how he goes with a list not killed by injuries and a lack of depth. Once that happens he gets time to prove himself. If he can’t coach, punt him.
Problem is he may not have the depth at his disposal till 2021. Will he survive another two years of current results?

Problem is he may not have the depth at his disposal till 2021. Will he survive another two years of current results?
I am not sure he will survive next year if we have another 2-20 season.

Effort comes down to the players, specifically the leaders on the field. I think there is every chance we are sore, we are definitely crippled from injuries and too many players in inexperienced positions. We probably played two pretty good quarters against Brisbane. We just seem to lack sustainability which is expected from a group made up of a couple of stars in their prime, a few past their prime and a lot of players a few seasons away from their prime.

Give them an easy week on the track focusing on recovery and the effort will be there I am sure.

Think at this stage, if we get pick one then that's a win for this season. That and the young players playing some good footy.

Our structure is a hell of a mess at the moment. It's been clear watching us setup defensively with our main leaders out of the backline and the lack of forward options.

Agree with everything there. One of the things that annoys me a bit is when you start hearing about something that went wrong and it immediately getting traced back to the coach. Sure the coach is responsible for a lot of things and they have enormous influence but they can’t control everything!

And I’m not saying that Bolts is perfect or anything like that, I just don’t think there’s a whole lot he should be doing that he’s not already. The backline has been decimated by injury and we’ve got an extremely young and inexperienced list, I’m not sure another coach would’ve done any better.

Food for thought.

We have won 2/19 games since this announcement:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ootball-at-end-of-season-20170814-gxw127.html

Craig left the club because he couldn't deal with the little man. Club insiders will be able to confirm that.

I don't want little man to go, but by golly he needs some experienced, successful coaches around him. Our game-day strategy sucks
Like passy said, nothing in this angle.

Go check out the CFC vids and articles when he was leaving. Craig made a point of telling us that Bolts made a role for Craig where he felt valuable. It turned around his cynicism and distrust of the industry (having being burnt a few times). He also said Bolts is a great coach.

Last edited:
Someone was bored and decided to drop some fake news. There's been a bit of that and hysteria surfacing recently in relation to Carlton.
You can believe what you want. What gets said in public, and behind closed doors are two different things.

However, you'd be naive to think that there isn't anything more behind a Director of Coaching quitting a big Melbourne Club after such a short tenure

Inconsistency is ok. This is ALL about the response. If the straight up response is insipid then we can start to worry. The players seem to be behind Bolts - but we find out a bit about this group on Friday. Paul Barbazza should address the players before the match.

You can believe what you want. What gets said in public, and behind closed doors are two different things.

However, you'd be naive to think that there isn't anything more behind a Director of Coaching quitting a big Melbourne Club after such a short tenure
Okay.

What's your evidence then, beyond him leaving prematurely (in your eyes)?

Agree with everything there. One of the things that annoys me a bit is when you start hearing about something that went wrong and it immediately getting traced back to the coach. Sure the coach is responsible for a lot of things and they have enormous influence but they can’t control everything!

And I’m not saying that Bolts is perfect or anything like that, I just don’t think there’s a whole lot he should be doing that he’s not already. The backline has been decimated by injury and we’ve got an extremely young and inexperienced list, I’m not sure another coach would’ve done any better.

We've played enough good footy in Bolton's time at Carlton to suggest to me that there is nothing wrong with how we are being coached. Even against Brisbane that first quarter was really good, we setup well defensively and our forward line was functioning well and with better skills we would have been up by 4 goals at quarter time. The reason why we could not and have not been able to sustain it and play that way consistently comes down to the abilities of our players.

I've played, watched and coached enough footy to know that when your game plan works it is because you are better or evenly matched than the opposition. When the opposition are bigger, stronger, faster, fitter and more skilled, then the game plan breaks down and all you can do is push numbers back and make things ugly and defensive and you can't win like that, just stem the bleeding and have more competitive players.

A lot of casual observers see a team playing a particular way and they blame or credit the coach, thing is it's more the team's ability. Teams who are fast, skilful and have good running patterns will play up the middle more whereas teams who lack those qualities will go around the boundary more. Stuff like that. AFL coaches want their teams playing a particular way and they do at times but when the opposition are better then they can't and for the last 5 or 6 years the opposition have been mostly better and you can't make a game plan around what you have when what you have is lacking in base football abilities.

Carlton has been a terrible club for coaches to work at since David Parkin's era. When other clubs were scouring for the best assistants and development coaches in the land we weren't. When every other club had a list manager, we didn't. Our recruiting staff was the worst. Our reputation for this and coach sacking kept good people away from Carlton. Our leadership at the top has been outdated fanatical Carlton people. There are some average coaches out there winning premierships and having their teams up the top of the ladder because they are strongly supported by a really good football department and a core of good onfield leaders which I haven't seen at Carlton since the 90s.

As a coach you wouldn't want to come to Carlton and it's important we send the message out to the league that this is not us anymore so that good quality people will come to us. The reason I think why our football department has been filled with ex-Carlton and average people is probably because good people have seen that we are a coaches graveyard and will not come. We have not offered a good working environment or stability. If Carlton sack Bolton no one who can get a job anywhere else will come to us because it will be made clear that things have not changed and we have not learnt. Thankfully I don't think this is the case as for once the club is not run by fanatical supporters, it's run by people who have their heads in this century and are aware where we are and how things work.

what about a club like carlton?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've played enough good footy in Bolton's time at Carlton to suggest to me that there is nothing wrong with how we are being coached. Even against Brisbane that first quarter was really good, we setup well defensively and our forward line was functioning well and with better skills we would have been up by 4 goals at quarter time. The reason why we could not and have not been able to sustain it and play that way consistently comes down to the abilities of our players.

I've played, watched and coached enough footy to know that when your game plan works it is because you are better or evenly matched than the opposition. When the opposition are bigger, stronger, faster, fitter and more skilled, then the game plan breaks down and all you can do is push numbers back and make things ugly and defensive and you can't win like that, just stem the bleeding and have more competitive players.

A lot of casual observers see a team playing a particular way and they blame or credit the coach, thing is it's more the team's ability. Teams who are fast, skilful and have good running patterns will play up the middle more whereas teams who lack those qualities will go around the boundary more. Stuff like that. AFL coaches want their teams playing a particular way and they do at times but when the opposition are better then they can't and for the last 5 or 6 years the opposition have been mostly better and you can't make a game plan around what you have when what you have is lacking in base football abilities.

Carlton has been a terrible club for coaches to work at since David Parkin's era. When other clubs were scouring for the best assistants and development coaches in the land we weren't. When every other club had a list manager, we didn't. Our recruiting staff was the worst. Our reputation for this and coach sacking kept good people away from Carlton. Our leadership at the top has been outdated fanatical Carlton people. There are some average coaches out there winning premierships and having their teams up the top of the ladder because they are strongly supported by a really good football department and a core of good onfield leaders which I haven't seen at Carlton since the 90s.

As a coach you wouldn't want to come to Carlton and it's important we send the message out to the league that this is not us anymore so that good quality people will come to us. The reason I think why our football department has been filled with ex-Carlton and average people is probably because good people have seen that we are a coaches graveyard and will not come. We have not offered a good working environment or stability. If Carlton sack Bolton no one who can get a job anywhere else will come to us because it will be made clear that things have not changed and we have not learnt. Thankfully I don't think this is the case as for once the club is not run by fanatical supporters, it's run by people who have their heads in this century and are aware where we are and how things work.
Very impressive post mate.

Dislike having players a constant out.

Melbournes list has not changed all that much from three years ago.

Majority of our list are made of impressive players. Players are an easy out.

Hawthorns team are made of no body's and they are competitive.

IMO he will see out the season, and may get to half way next year before the axe falls. The Board has committed to him and normally that means the kiss of death, however they are facing their own pressures. If they sack him now, they will be pummelled as having made the wrong decision in the first place i.e. never played at the top level. If they wait until next season then they will get pummelled for delaying the decision and not having the balls to make the call. The President is actually doing the right thing and staying out of the media. There is nothing positive to say and he will be on the back foot and come across as incompetent.

What the Board should do, is make up a list of experienced available coaches and make a decision who is the best fit and approach them.
Wallace is my pick because he has done this before at the Dogs and Richmond. Carlton has the structures in place that he did not have at Richmond, so he will hit the ground running. He has an excellent media presence and listening to him talk about Carlton is absolutely spot on with some of his analysis.
To me it is a no brainer. BB has done ok, it is now that the next phase needs experience, and that is where Wallace will excel.

What the Board should do, is make up a list of experienced available coaches and make a decision who is the best fit and approach them.
Wallace is my pick because he has done this before at the Dogs and Richmond. Carlton has the structures in place that he did not have at Richmond, so he will hit the ground running. He has an excellent media presence and listening to him talk about Carlton is absolutely spot on with some of his analysis.
To me it is a no brainer. BB has done ok, it is now that the next phase needs experience, and that is where Wallace will excel.

LSD?

IMO he will see out the season, and may get to half way next year before the axe falls. The Board has committed to him and normally that means the kiss of death, however they are facing their own pressures. If they sack him now, they will be pummelled as having made the wrong decision in the first place i.e. never played at the top level. If they wait until next season then they will get pummelled for delaying the decision and not having the balls to make the call. The President is actually doing the right thing and staying out of the media. There is nothing positive to say and he will be on the back foot and come across as incompetent.

Terry Wallace?

At the Dogs he made finals 4 times, but only won 2 games in all those 4 years. At Richmond, highest finish was 9th

Both lists were considerable better than ours

If we are going to replace Bolton, perhaps a better candidate would be worthwhile

Terry Wallace?

At the Dogs he made finals 4 times, but only won 2 games in all those 4 years. At Richmond, highest finish was 9th

Both lists were considerable better than ours

If we are going to replace Bolton, perhaps a better candidate would be worthwhile

I see your point, but there are no experienced coaches around at the moment. Roos does not want the job, and if you have to force him then you will end up like St.Kilda did with Malcolm Blight.

MM was a poor choice because his days in coaching were over and it was always about MM. His whole premise with Carlton was to try and get a long term contract and soon as it became obvious it was not going to happen he acted like a petulant child. Lost all respect for him as a person/coach.

Wallace understands how hard it is because he had to lift the Dogs from the gutter, and got them to 2 preliminary finals. Turned ordinary players into reliable consistent players. He fits the bill. Whether he wants to coach is another story, but i suspect that he has unfinished business.

I see your point, but there are no experienced coaches around at the moment. Roos does not want the job, and if you have to force him then you will end up like St.Kilda did with Malcolm Blight.

MM was a poor choice because his days in coaching were over and it was always about MM. His whole premise with Carlton was to try and get a long term contract and soon as it became obvious it was not going to happen he acted like a petulant child. Lost all respect for him as a person/coach.

Wallace understands how hard it is because he had to lift the Dogs from the gutter, and got them to 2 preliminary finals. Turned ordinary players into reliable consistent players. He fits the bill. Whether he wants to coach is another story, but i suspect that he has unfinished business.
I have a question for you. Name the old-school coaches that have gone to a new side and have won premierships in an AFL context.

It's not something that happens. For the same reason coaches don't give huge public serves anymore - and they don't, not the way they used to - old coaches that still run things the done way can't communicate with the younger generations the way they need to in order to win matches. Only one - Malthouse - has done so, and he was at Collingwood for how long before it worked out?

If we had a more experienced and shallow injury list and we were still having these type of results, i would concede Bolton is not the right coach. But until then, no one here can categorically state that he can't coach

In 2013 Essendon were kicked out of the finals and Carlton replaced them because of the drugs saga. We beat Richmond and Essendon had their team kicked out, and had to recruit hacks and kids, and lost a number of senior players who left or retired because they could not come back. Yet, in 2018 they are in a better position than we are?

Tell me who is on LSD again?

Up there with post of the year. Bolton needs 3 more years, new medical and fitness and a senior assitant. Trigg and Craig were bad losses for Carlton. Trigg managed the message which Liddle and MLG can not do. Craig was the wise old head with fitness/sports science cred

I have a question for you. Name the old-school coaches that have gone to a new side and have won premierships in an AFL context.

It's not something that happens. For the same reason coaches don't give huge public serves anymore - and they don't, not the way they used to - old coaches that still run things the done way can't communicate with the younger generations the way they need to in order to win matches. Only one - Malthouse - has done so, and he was at Collingwood for how long before it worked out?

Wallace is not an old school coach. He was ahead of his generation when he coached and is still ahead of the pack when it comes to modern football, so your argument is spurious. He has worked hard behind the scenes keeping himself up to date with the game. I am not talking about a Dennis Pagan or Leigh Matthews. Plough knows his stuff, and he is still young enough to coach. Like I said he still has a lot to achieve and that to me is the deal clincher.

Wallace is not an old school coach. He was ahead of his generation when he coached and is still ahead of the pack when it comes to modern football, so your argument is spurious. He has worked hard behind the scenes keeping himself up to date with the game. I am not talking about a Dennis Pagan or Leigh Matthews. Plough knows his stuff, and he is still young enough to coach. Like I said he still has a lot to achieve and that to me is the deal clincher.
Statement, which requires justification.

In what way was he 'ahead of the pack when it comes to modern football', and was he so far ahead that he's relevant more than a decade after his last appointment, and how does his being 'ahead of the pack when it comes to modern football' pertain to improving us specifically?

I don't care for having a point to prove or having a lot to achieve, there's plenty of people who have been terrible at their positions that have had a point to prove or a lot to achieve at the top level, in a wide variety of areas. Tell me of his attributes that would directly pertain to our situation right now.

And Wallace, going from first hand sources and evidence, is very much an old school coach in terms of his style, and like Eade, would struggle to motivate people who that style is ineffective for, which is most of the players these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back