Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fit list to choose from next year , pre seasons and weights into the young uns , the emergence of a consistent harry , the continual upward trend of fish , Charlie and paddy coupled with solid experience from murph , Crippa and ed . Plus the draft getting in the best talent and a couple of skilled hard running mature afl players. Next year I’m excited. Go the navy blues .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

cmon Thomas and lamb have had their moments - dont discard . Didnt Thomas play on Green?
thomas did a great job on greene and it seems every time lamb locks down a rebounding defender we win.

But my point is the major disadvantage of young players is they don't have the preseasons under their belt to run out games and get to enough contests. the whole point of balancing out the young players with the experienced players is to manage that disadvantage. But the older journeymen players don't seem to help out in that area, we still get outnumbered to the ball around the ground. They should have a superior fitness base to their younger counterparts and the fact that they don't is concerning.

Yet they only had 4 players aged 21 years of age or younger, compared to our 9.

Do not rely on this type of stat as it does not portray the true story (Geelong's Tim Kelly has played less than 50 games, yet at 24 years of age his body would be quite a bit more battle hardened than the 18 year old Paddy Dow).
That's true, although we had a few in that boat too: graham, pickett and byrne.

I don't think 21 should qualify as a 'youngster' though. IMO first and second year players are a liability on the team but after that they should all be solid contributors. Of the 22 vs giants i'd consider SPS, polson, o'brien and dow as young players. the giants had 3 players in that same category.

you can frame it either way, but the giants rested some starters and blooded some youngsters against us because we're pushovers and even with that and losing all their rotations they still outrun and outworked us. The bulldogs were way younger than us and missing more first 22 players and they slaughtered the saints.

That's true, although we had a few in that boat too: graham, pickett and byrne.

I don't think 21 should qualify as a 'youngster' though. IMO first and second year players are a liability on the team but after that they should all be solid contributors. Of the 22 vs giants i'd consider SPS, polson, o'brien and dow as young players. the giants had 3 players in that same category.

you can frame it either way, but the giants rested some starters and blooded some youngsters against us because we're pushovers and even with that and losing all their rotations they still outrun and outworked us. The bulldogs were way younger than us and missing more first 22 players and they slaughtered the saints.
You can't discount Charlie, Pickett, Marchbank, Kennedy as young players. All aged 21 & in the case of Pickett & Marchbank had missed a lot of football prior to coming to Carlton & of course Marchbank & Charlie being KPP & still so far from their best football. Charlie, being young, is still quite inconsistent hence him having a 5 goal game, 4 goal game, 3 x 3 goal games & a significant number of 0 or 1 goal games this season. In another couple of years his 30 something goal season this year will most likely be a 50-60 goal season. Something to get excited about.

Of interest, 2 of GWS' under 50 game players were 24 year old Matthew Buntine & 29 year old Dawson Simpson. Some stats need to be looked at beyond face value.

Last edited:
A fit list to choose from next year , pre seasons and weights into the young uns , the emergence of a consistent harry , the continual upward trend of fish , Charlie and paddy coupled with solid experience from murph , Crippa and ed . Plus the draft getting in the best talent and a couple of skilled hard running mature afl players. Next year I’m excited. Go the navy blues .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Big year next year.

Bolts career depends on it. If we are one win at the bye and have a couple of 100 point loses against us, I think the clubs hand will be forced.

This off season is massive for the club.

Agree the off-season is a big one for the club and in particular Bolts. IMO one of the key criteria’s for him is to get the game plan / player cohesion on an upwards trajectory.

Obviously hard to do when you have lots of injuries and you’ve made wholesale changes to the list. On the list and injuries front think things will be a bit more stable so it gives Bolts and coaches a better opportunity to get some continuity with what they’re doing.

Big year next year.

Bolts career depends on it. If we are one win at the bye and have a couple of 100 point loses against us, I think the clubs hand will be forced.

This off season is massive for the club.
I dont think Boltons career depends on next year or the year after...once the squad is ready to implement what he is teaching then he starts to get judged. But remember they called for Buckleys head at Collingwood..Bomber Thompsons head at Geelong..Hardwick...even early last year.

I dont think Boltons career depends on next year or the year after...once the squad is ready to implement what he is teaching then he starts to get judged. But remember they called for Buckleys head at Collingwood..Bomber Thompsons head at Geelong..Hardwick...even early last year.

Collingwood never got flogged like we are right now.

Injury free we will not tolerate getting blown off the park every week.

We need to be competitive.

Collingwood never got flogged like we are right now.

Injury free we will not tolerate getting blown off the park every week.

We need to be competitive.
I'm confident that injury free we won't be getting blown off the park every week.

We were competitive most weeks last year when we had a less extensive injury list. Big seasons from Docherty (AA), Murphy (B&F), Kreuzer (AA squad & 3rd in B&F), Casboult (career best season), Gibbs (4th in B&F) went a long way towards covering many of the holes in our list, Sadly, none of the above have been able to replicate these results in 2018 due to injury or no longer being at the club.

Injury free we wouldnt have been this year
there is no logic to your answer at all that I can see..and ...we won the week before....cant have it both ways

No logic in my answer?

Mate has last week made you forget we only have two wins for the year, and one of the worst % the competition has ever seen.

You are the one lacking logic.

I'm giving this year a free hit cos of all the injuries but if you think the club will sit on its hands next year if we have a good run with injuries and are still so un competitive you are dreaming.

I'm confident that injury free we won't be getting blown off the park every week.

We were competitive most weeks last year when we had a less extensive injury list. Big seasons from Docherty (AA), Murphy (B&F), Kreuzer (AA squad & 3rd in B&F), Casboult (career best season), Gibbs (4th in B&F) went a long way towards covering many of the holes in our list, Sadly, none of the above have been able to replicate these results in 2018 due to injury or no longer being at the club.

Well hopefully not.

I had such high hopes for this year. Last two years we had really started becoming tough to play against.

Now sides just rolll up and steam roll us.

Yes I understand injuries etc etc... which is why I haven't complained at all.

But we get a good run at it next year are are still this bad then you can bet your bottom dollar heads will roll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No logic in my answer?

Mate has last week made you forget we only have two wins for the year, and one of the worst % the competition has ever seen.

You are the one lacking logic.

I'm giving this year a free hit cos of all the injuries but if you think the club will sit on its hands next year if we have a good run with injuries and are still so un competitive you are dreaming.
Certainly havent forgotten....I am saying that the coach cant be blamed if he aint got a decent fit team
My logic is that coaches need enough time. My logic is that no caoch would have many wins with the bad run of injuries and inexperience we have endured
is all good..we all hurt and have different ways of seeing things...I just think Bolton will be given 3 more years minimum before any heat goes on from inside the club. I think there wont be heat anyway because the Blues will be rockin

Last edited:
Mattner looking at an AFL coaching role, willing to move interstate. BB + MM would be a good combination.

"STURT premiership coach Martin Mattner is ready to return to the AFL - and this time there is a genuine chance to move to Port Adelaide after passing up a job at the Power last year.

This time, the Sydney premiership defender and former Crows half-back could secure an assistant coaching role - rather than a development portfolio - at Alberton as part of the reshuffle of Ken Hinkley’s panel for next season.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/bd63bf9b56535383d2f71ddeb9fa1932

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly not....I am saying that the coach cant be blamed if he aint got a decent fit team
My logic is that coaches need enough time. My logic is that no caoch would have many wins with the bad run of injuries and inexperience we have endured
is all good..we all hurt and have different ways of seeing things...I just think Bolton will be given 3 more years minimum before any heat goes on from inside the club. I think there wont be heat anyway because the Blues will be rockin

Yeah can't be blamed if we don't have a fit team.. The hypothetical we are discussing is if we do get a good run of injuries.

Three years without any heat. That is just such a broad statement you make. So just regardless of performance?

There will certainly be growth KPIs starting to come in the next couple of years.

Like I said I feel we have a relatively healthy list next year and are completely uncompetitive then the clubs hand will be forced.

Yeah can't be blamed if we don't have a fit team.. The hypothetical we are discussing is if we do get a good run of injuries.

Three years without any heat. That is just such a broad statement you make. So just regardless of performance?

There will certainly be growth KPIs starting to come in the next couple of years.

Like I said I feel we have a relatively healthy list next year and are completely uncompetitive then the clubs hand will be forced.
Fair enough..I dont disagree with your theory in that scenario....but I still say yes to three years because a the club have basically said so..and b there are so many precedents of sticking fat and then success comes...of course I dont know a damn thing..its mere speculation....wish I had a crystal ball...one thing I do know is this off season is going to seem so long ....:(
The thing is our rebuild has had a one year setback more or less

Mattner looking at an AFL coaching role, willing to move interstate. BB + MM would be a good combination.

"STURT premiership coach Martin Mattner is ready to return to the AFL - and this time there is a genuine chance to move to Port Adelaide after passing up a job at the Power last year.

This time, the Sydney premiership defender and former Crows half-back could secure an assistant coaching role - rather than a development portfolio - at Alberton as part of the reshuffle of Ken Hinkley’s panel for next season.

Mattner has confirmed to The Advertiser that he is looking to re-establish his AFL coaching pathway after three years in the SANFL with Sturt where he has delivered back-to-back league premierships for the Double Blues.

And Mattner is prepared to move interstate as more than Port Adelaide line-up to appoint the 222-game defender as an assistant coach"

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/bd63bf9b56535383d2f71ddeb9fa1932
What's he like as a coach? Any good?

B.B. is on borrowed time unfortunately. I think the experiment hasn’t worked and we need change, irrespective of the horrid season we’ve had. I think we should bring Ratten back into fill the Barker role as I see B.B. being moved next season if we don’t have some immediate success and Ratten is the best available option. I can’t see CFC tolerating mediocrity for much longer. It’s hurting our brand too much. The club will look for a new storyline IMO and the return of a mistreated favourite son will sell memberships. Football is as much about business as it is supporters and we’ve fallen well behind the curve - a change is coming and soon IMO.

B.B. is on borrowed time unfortunately. I think the experiment hasn’t worked and we need change, irrespective of the horrid season we’ve had. I think we should bring Ratten back into fill the Barker role as I see B.B. being moved next season if we don’t have some immediate success and Ratten is the best available option. I can’t see CFC tolerating mediocrity for much longer. It’s hurting our brand too much. The club will look for a new storyline IMO and the return of a mistreated favourite son will sell memberships. Football is as much about business as it is supporters and we’ve fallen well behind the curve - a change is coming and soon IMO.
Are you drought affected? First time I’ve come across a post from you but you’ve been a member since way back..

I don’t agree about Bolton...I think he is doing a good job

I love the Ratten idea though and think it will get a lot of members on board..

See what you are saying but members seem to be sticking fat ATM given we have 56000 members this year, and quite a substantial number joining after it was seen to be a shocking season. I think it is an interesting question as to how long Bolts gets to get things working. Who knows, it is a very new thing for Blues supporters to be very patient and the same could also be said for the board. We will soon see, if we have no injuries next year and no real excuses how much faith the board has in Bolts and his team if we are underachieving. Personally, I think we will start to move forward, slowly, but surely, and we will start to see some consistency return to our performances, as well as a few more wins.

Your entitled to that opinion
As far as I am concerned its ludicrous on all points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back