Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem for me is that I don't believe that it will stop at "a one off game".

Other posts in this thread comment about:
  • PB as home strip (Post #1,950)
  • PB for ANZAC (Post #1,957)
  • Bring back the SA Magpies (Post #1,937)
I would like to know what PA fans want as an end point and to have the arguement now and sort it out once and for all so we don't have to go throught the same stuff every year.
I personally want 1x Showdown and ANZAC.

Showdown because of our history with the SANFL.
ANZAC because there were soldiers that fought and died that played for Port Adelaide as this game with the bars would honour them.

The problem for me is that I don't believe that it will stop at "a one off game".

I would like to know what PA fans want as an end point and to have the arguement now and sort it out once and for all so we don't have to go throught the same stuff every year.
What do you think the end point is you entitled sh it? Maybe wearing whatever we want as a home gurnsey, like every other club? lol. Stick it up your ass.

ANZAC because there were soldiers that fought and died that played for Port Adelaide as this game with the bars would honour them.
If that was the end of it then a deal should be done and move on.

Has PAFC aver done a survey of members/fans to see what the average fans wants?

I think a predominately white strip should be a great clash strip for Collingwood, would clearly stand out from the predominantly dark home strips of teams like St Kilda and Essendon, and the vertical stripes of teams like North.
Not sure if you're aware but Collingwood already have a predominantly white strip which is worn away when playing dark teams...

What do you think the end point is you entitled sh it? Maybe wearing whatever we want as a home gurnsey, like every other club? lol. Stick it up your ass.
Simply asking a question as to what the PAFC supporters and fans want.

Did I express an opinion either way?
It's comments like this that will cause both sides to say FU.

This is not unreasonable and I think Collingwood could come to an agreement for this to occur on an ongoing basis.
It's the minority of Port supporters pushing for it to be the full time home guernsey that is causing the issues.

This is not unreasonable and I think Collingwood could come to an agreement for this to occur on an ongoing basis.
It's the minority of Port supporters pushing for it to be the full time home guernsey that is causing the issues.
It's also not unreasonable for those port supporters wanting to wear the bars that the club wore for so long full time.

The fact that we wore our "Wharf" guernsey colloquially know as the Prison Bars (PB) in the 1993 trial match against Collingwood shows it can be done.

The 1993 trial match link here:

What we would want to see:
Allowed to wear the PB for all home showdowns
Allowed to wear in ANZAC round

In the future once a vast majority of your supporters see us wearing the PB they will understand that there is no threat to your club

Semi-finals and Finals providing we are not playing Collingwood would be in future negotiations. We played Richmond in 2014 in the PB at Adelaide Oval

The other 21 rounds we will be wearing our Chevron guernsey

Would I like to see Port wearing the PB in all AFL rounds? HELL YEA. But realistically that wont happen. Compromise like this or something similar to this would end the issue, both parties can move on. Will this please everyone on both sides no but thats life.
Your former president Eddie did not help in these talks just made it a whole lot worse and unfortunately dragged this on to 2023.

This is just my opinion... But anyways at least the conversation is going on the right track.

Anzac Day for sure. Tick that box.

**** the Crows - just a home game "of our choice" (it may well change every year) with the proviso it's not against Collingwood

So what if it's not a "one off game"?

Yes there would be Port supporters that would want the PBs as our permanent home guernsey, but that isn't going to happen. (The Magpies symbol won't be coming back, even in heritage form. Anyone who has been to the new Port club can attest to that)

What might happen, by sheer fact that Collingwood's world won't implode from us wearing it in Showdowns, is that we'll seek to wear it in other games in SA that are not against Collingwood. I've even speculated that wearing it in WA against Freo would be a specific game to wear it in. (We once played them in that guernsey prior to our entry to the AFL in a exhibition match.)

But none of this is part of the club's plan. It's just supporters shooting their mouths off.

Last edited:

Wouldn’t have to go through the same stuff every year if we were allowed to wear OUR guernsey whenever we wanted to without it being dictated by another club.

Both showdowns and the anzac day game (assuming it wouldn't be against your mob) would be enough to lock it in for me, and it's quite likely any anzac clash would also be played here resulting in virtually zero damage to your club's brand.

Personally the ideal for me is it becomes the full time home, but that’s purely subjective and is not what the club wants. They like it to be a special occasion jumper which I can respect.
I’ll take it for the home showdown because of the SA context and ANZAC round because Collingwood’s slice of ANZAC round is so huge that it won’t be diluted by our own meaningful celebration being what those players who served our country wore while playing for Port, plus the AFL always gives us a home game that round on request.
The only reason I wouldn’t want it at an away showdown is because the jumper means more to our fans for obvious reasons, and I’ve also believed that in the case of showdowns that haven’t involved the bars, the away team should wear a clash jumper for the most contrast. The bars would contrast from the Crows jumper more than our current home but not as well as our clash jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre-orders went up early this morning and were filled by the time I posted that.
Thanks. Mind you I'm puzzled how you fill up a pre-order. If people want to order just keep taking orders up to a cut-off date.

Why cant it be like every other professional league in the world where you can wear whatever you want as the home team and the away team needs at least one reasonable alternative

Did the Bulls give a s**t when the raptors joined in the 90s
Yep.

I'll take incremental wins along the way but ultimately I won't be happy til be can wear it for all home games.

Anything less sees us treated as 2nd class citizens by a league that is National in name only.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Devils advocate, but I’d legit be happy with that jumper set up as a permanent trio.

BiB jumper as home and standard away
Prison Bar for Showdowns and ANZAC day match
Geelong lite as clash as dictated by fixture.

Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could get behind this as well. The powder blue hooped jumper is at least a jumper the club has worn in its pre-AFL history, rather than simply inverting the BiB jumper to the basic white ones we've had in the last decade.

But will likely never get up because the AFL seems to have this obsession with the clash kit being almost identical to the regular kit but for inverting the colours.

You've asked a legitimate question in a respectful manner and I'll try to respond in kind.

My priorities:
1. ANZAC Day*
2. Home finals (except against Collingwood and never the grand final should it be held at home one day)
3. Heritage Rounds (yes they should and must return)
4. Home Showdown

I would be content with that and would sign off on that as an always thing.

We should have the right to wear what we want whenever we want, just like everyone else, but ego's need to be put aside and reasonable compromises made for the good of all involved, the above would be enough for me, and is significantly less than what it would have been had we joined the AFL in 1990/1991 if McAlister didn't panic when Max Basheer allegedly told him we would wear the PB jumper against Collingwood**.

Last edited:
So, are the guernseys on sale at the club tomorrow, or on Friday?
I have far more productive things that I can do tomorrow, than waiting in a line pointlessly for two hours.

The club has already made it clear what the end game is, it's been put forward plenty of times, and that is to wear the Guernsey in every showdown. Not sure how and why we've heard it watered down to home showdowns only but we've never asked for any more than showdowns.

I personally would be happy with a long term deal being signed to that effect and moving on.

im not a port fan, but they deserve what every other team in every other sport gets: to decide what jersey to wear at home, with the visitors changing due to jersey clashes

we've never asked for any more than showdowns.

we had a 10,000+ strong petition to bring back the bars as our full time guernsey for the 2020 season and onwards until it was hijacked by the club and conditions changed. they have successfully managed our expectations

we had a 10,000+ strong petition to bring back the bars as our full time guernsey for the 2020 season and onwards until it was hijacked by the club and conditions changed. they have successfully managed our expectations

Not quite true.

The club's stance has always been "some home games", never "permanent home guernsey".

One of the biggest **** ups with the BBTB petition was that is was worded one way when it launched (the right to choose) and then one of the people who set it up changed the wording (permanent home guernsey) several weeks into the campaign. It created some angst amongst those who had already shared it around and meant that the goodwill we gained from some Collingwood supporters for the petition evaporated overnight.

The club's petition was them taking control of something they had no control over and one of the reasons they did this was the bullshit move outlined above. I didn't agree with them taking it over, but I get why they did it. It needed to be legit for it to have any value and they couldn't afford loose cannons editing the petition on the fly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back