Brisbane Lions Trade Talk Thread 2009 (#1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brisbane Lions Trade Talk Thread 2009

Last year we were prepared to trade Charman to bring Tippett back to QLD, so even with just Leuenberger as the main ruck (before the emergence of Clark) we were prepared to part ways. The deal didn't go through because Adelaide considered Tippett a required player (a reasonable call). Charman wasn't shopped around anywhere else, so it's impossible to say whether other clubs were interested.

12 months on, out of the blue we've got an AA standard ruckman in Clark. If we were prepared to trade Charman last year (even given Leuenberger's injuries), I'd say we'll be just as / even more prepared to trade him. Not speculation or opinion on my part, it's just glimpses of the club's thinking based on what they've done.

Hawthorn could be a good fit for him you'd think. However whether a trade gets done is entirely another matter. Dealing with Hawks in recent years has been interesting to say the least.

A hypothetical: had Charman managed to return to fitness in round 18 this season, given Clark's awesome form, would he have got a game? I'm not so sure.

Assuming Charmo is on the list next year and all 3 are fit going into the season, the nab cup games should be very interesting, as i would imagine we would be playing around with our structures a bit.

The problem charmo has is that Mitch has proven he needs very little in the way of backup and even if he does Leuenberger is in waiting.

Charmo is on too many dollars to justify that situation.

Big money on our third string ruckman means we can’t spend on other things we need more.
Something has to give.

Talked to Rischitelli at the Club Champion dinner. He's not going anywhere and doesn't want to go to Essendon. He said it was just rumours, all rumours.

Yer he told me that Melbourne was too cold for him to move back too lol.

People tend to forget that, if contracted, the player has the right to say no to a move. Many who've been linked to a trade go because they feel they are not wanted.

Was it Possum who said he was staying put when a trade was organised, or is that revisionist history?

Not wanting to rain on your parade.....The salary cap bursting......???..give us a break....The salary cap - "Total Player Payments"was A$7,693,750 for the 2009 season it has a salary floor set at A$7,116,718.75..=92.5% which all clubs must spend.....So all clubs are in our position..

Certain payments are excluded from the cap, and concessions are available for some players, in particular, "veteran" players (those over the age of 30, who have also completed 10 seasons with their current club) maxium 2 per club and "nominated" rookie listed players who are all discounted by up to 50% for purposes of the cap.

The only guys I can see on our list that are on the big $'s are

Brown, which is back ended so we can put him on the veterans list in 2 years time..coinciding with Bradshaw's contract

Bradshaw already on the Veterans list so only half of his wage counts

Power & Black..both have served 10 years and will have turned 30 before October 30th 2010... We'll put the highest paid on the veterans list

Our Salary cap bursting.....The story's got more holes in it than a crumpet!!
You're kidding if you think all things are equal. Brisbane are in a situation where they have to pay their players over the odds to keep them here. You (and other team's supporters) can debate that all you like (and they do) but it's just a fact we have to deal with.

To look at a team's salary cap situation you don't exclusively look at the number they paid to their players for that particular year. You have to plan for the rises in years to come.

At the top end, Brown is one of the two highest paid players in the game. While Black and Power are, or soon to be, veteran-list status, they take up a considerable amount of the cap. Bradshaw, Brennan, Johnstone, Rischitelli, Adcock, and Charman would all be receiving some serious coin. We needed to pay guys like Hooper, Selwood, Brennan, McGrath, Bradshaw more than they were probably worth to keep them in Brisbane.

Remember a couple of years back where it seemed every club had a different Lions target. Smart ploy by opposition teams to drive up the worth of our players hoping a few would slip through the gaps. And we are the easiest target in the league considering the vast majority of our list are from interstate. I'm sure the club would have wanted more for Hadley and Corrie at the time but we were in no position to negotiate. Those kind of deals would be largely based on securing cap relief.

Rich, Clark, Henderson, Leuenberger, Redden, Hawksley, Sheldon, Polkinghorne etc are young top team players starting from a base salary. They will all get significant increases in the following years. All of them are interstaters.

While we may be able to afford for players like Buchanan, Tuck, Staker now - they will require a relatively large outlay to get them across over other clubs. It's not worth it for the quality of player they are, particularly if it means we will struggle to keep one of our better young players when other clubs come knocking.

The problem charmo has is that Mitch has proven he needs very little in the way of backup and even if he does Leuenberger is in waiting.

Charmo is on too many dollars to justify that situation.

Big money on our third string ruckman means we can’t spend on other things we need more.
Something has to give.

If one believes the reports of the media & those posted on big footy....Ruckman will be on the move at over half the competition's clubs ..Jolly, Hale, Fraser, Simmonds, Everett, Blake, Seaby, King and Charman.....

Speculation surrounding Brisbane includes:
  • Tigers veteran Nathan Brown heading north to again work with former Richmond, now Lions assistants Jade Rawlings and Craig McRae.
WTF are we thinking??

Hopefully this is all the usual trade bullshit that we have to go through every year. I'm not so convinced though considering Voss chased White and Street last year and asked Nige to play on.

Brown, Buchanan, Ball, and Tuck would have been good 4 years ago. All of them have deteriorated significantly to the point Brown and Tuck are finished.

Add this to the Staker and Raines interest and I am suitably bewildered in what the hell Voss is thinking.

What are you guys prepared to trade for Buchanan? Would your 3rd rounder (44 IIRC) be on the table? I think he would add a lot of grunt to your midfield. Just don't play him as a small forawrd, Vossy's hair will turn white by the end of 2010.

What are you guys prepared to trade for Buchanan? Would your 3rd rounder (44 IIRC) be on the table? I think he would add a lot of grunt to your midfield. Just don't play him as a small forawrd, Vossy's hair will turn white by the end of 2010.
Our 3rd rounder is already gone to acquiring another average footballer if the rumour mill is correct.

Would hope we stay far away from Buchanan. I'd imagine Voss would have him as a small forward.

Our midfield doesn't need more "grunt". We have Selwood, Rischitelli, Adcock, Redden to add the grunt. Our midfield is missing an extractor who can get the ball out to our runners, and someone with pace who can deliver the ball (i.e. a Lovett).

Buchanan fills neither of those needs.

Good player a couple of years back, but he is heading in the wrong direction.

Been there, done that. Fixter.:rolleyes:

You're kidding if you think all things are equal. Brisbane are in a situation where they have to pay their players over the odds to keep them here. You (and other team's supporters) can debate that all you like (and they do) but it's just a fact we have to deal with.

To look at a team's salary cap situation you don't exclusively look at the number they paid to their players for that particular year. You have to plan for the rises in years to come.

At the top end, Brown is one of the two highest paid players in the game. While Black and Power are, or soon to be, veteran-list status, they take up a considerable amount of the cap. Bradshaw, Brennan, Johnstone, Rischitelli, Adcock, and Charman would all be receiving some serious coin.

Rich, Clark, Henderson, Leuenberger, Redden, Hawksley, Sheldon, Polkinghorne etc are young top team players starting from a base salary. They will all get significant increases in the following years. All of them are interstaters.

While we may be able to afford for players like Buchanan, Tuck, Staker now - they will require a relatively large outlay to get them across over other clubs. It's not worth it for the quality of player they are, particularly if it means we will struggle to keep one of our better young players when other clubs come knocking.

I never said things are equal ... All clubs have the same problem with list management it is all part of the game...player movement....going home factor etc etc....Your points are valid and it was the catalyst for the players association locking in in their collective bargaining agreement from 2007 to 2011.... "purpose to deliver security & stability for players and the industry alike!" that agreement factored in the planned rises in the years ahead...given that a club will have about a third of their players come out of Contract...

http://aflpa.com.au/articleimage/2007-2011-collective-bargaining-agreement

Our 3rd rounder is already gone to acquiring another average footballer if the rumour mill is correct.

Would hope we stay far away from Buchanan. I'd imagine Voss would have him as a small forward.

Our midfield doesn't need more "grunt". We have Selwood, Rischitelli, Adcock, Redden to add the grunt. Our midfield is missing an extractor who can get the ball out to our runners, and someone with pace who can deliver the ball (i.e. a Lovett).

Buchanan fills neither of those needs.

Good player a couple of years back, but he is heading in the wrong direction.

extracting balls is Buchanans strength. I'm not sure exactly why other supporters have pigeon holed him as a small fwd, perhaps associated with Schneider, but he is atrocious in that role

as for Fixter:
1. You got him cheap
2. He never played midfield for us it was Lethals idea of making him a tagged

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 7 Perth have confirmed this trade deal:

Sydney
Gain: Seaby, Pick 28
Lose: Amon Buchanan, Pick 22

Brisbane
Gain: Amon Buchanan, Brent Staker
Lose: Bradd Dalziell, Pick 28

West Coast
Gain: Bradd Dalziell, Pick 22
Lose: Mark Seaby, Brent Staker

Welcome to Brisbane Buchanan and Staker!

WTF!?!?!?!?!? Far out we got r*ped big time. Buchanon isn't even a small forward FFS!

i actually don't think we've come out thhhhattt bad, i mean buchanan just had a quieter year with swans not winning much and staker can play multi-positions which we need

Winners: WC and Sydney
Losers: Brisbane

I'm willing to give both players a go. Need a new start. We would've been losers to keep Razzle if he no longer wanted to be at the club. Need full commitment, it's like Gibson and the Roos. Buchanan can help with the small forward role - I think that's why the Lions are wanting to get rid of Hooper.

Shocking shocking trade. Why are we interested in all these average at best footballers? Lovett being linked to us at least filled a deficiency. Would much prefer any of the younger smalls eg. Rockliffe given a go at cementing a small forward position than signing Buchanan. Staker as has been mentioned by many posters is never going to amount to anything more than a bit player. Really not sure what Voss is thinking if this trade is legit.

West Coast
Gain: Dalziell, Pick 22
Lose: Staker, Seaby

Sydney
Lose: Buchanan, Pick 22

Brisbane

Gain: Staker, Buchanan
Lose: Dalziell, Pick 28

Why is this even being announced as a three-way trade?

Its three separate and direct trades in reality. Nothing three-way about it.

Staker to Brisbane straight swap for Dalziell.

Seaby to Sydney in exchange for pick 22.

Buchanan to Brisbane in exchange for 28.

Does anyone think Buchanan is worth 28? We've overpaid there. If we don't get West Coast's pick 38 out of this we've been r*ped!

Channel 7 Perth have confirmed this trade deal:

Sydney
Lose: Amon Buchanan, Pick 22

Brisbane
Gain: Amon Buchanan, Brent Staker
Lose: Bradd Dalziell, Pick 28

West Coast
Gain: Bradd Dalziell, Pick 22
Lose: Mark Seaby, Brent Staker

Welcome to Brisbane Buchanan and Staker!
If that's true, that is a massive loss for us.

Buchanan can help with the small forward role - I think that's why the Lions are wanting to get rid of Hooper.

Are you serious?

Buchanan DOESNT KICK GOALS!

Aren't small forwards supposed to do that?

The Staker deal (which I have hated from the start) seems excessively fair in comparison to this Buchanan debacle, Andrew Raines is almost my new favorite player in comparison. Pick 28 for a slow midget 'forward' that doesn't kick goals.

To get Lovett we could only really trade Macdonald for him as Riscka doesn't really want to go to Melbourne (spoke to him at B&F).

We have our 1st, 4th and 5th round picks to use in draft (must draft three players).

We could potentially gain a draft pick for Hooper (most likely a 3rd round pick).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back