Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which team does Robbo barrack for? As soon as Whateley turned to Lachie, Robbo interrupted and turned it back to Docherty and that was pretty much the segment.
Lol afl 360 had Lachie and Doc on at same time, basically asked Lachie did he watch the blues game and that was it.

Hobson's Choice it is ... that He would not know what Robbo is thinking and thus not all-knowing or He does know what Robbo is thinking and we have a mad (insane) god...
I guess thats the point.

Last edited:
Lol afl 360 had Lachie and Doc on at same time, basically asked Lachie did he watch the blues game and that was it.
Lachie had the look of steel in his eyes. Didn't want to be there and just said what he needed to. Their treatment of him in the interview will only help us.

Man the Gunston hate is so toxic. It's okay Martinson. Fight the hate, embrace the King.
I'm a fan personally, one of the GOAT journalists.
MV5BNDgyNTg5ZjUtMWZlNy00MDhmLTliNjEtOTk2NGZjMDc3MjhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDg0MjQ0Njg@._V1_.jpg

I don’t mind the idea of Froggy taking Curnow. There will be stages where he gets shown up but I feel he has the ability to do the job. Harris to come across and chop out on the long balls in. Leaves Harris to be able to play his normal game/take the resting ruck and Payne/Diz to take Harry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo’s a Bombers man, which makes it even more bizarre that he’s hitched his wagon on Carlton. I guess being a Victorian takes precedence.
If you thik about it, ALL commentary directed to the bigger clubs will give the media outlet and the commentator more popularity points than talking postitively about an interstate club or one with a lower audience than the likes of Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon/Richmond etc. I dont mind them not talking about The Lions too much but you can be guaranteed they would talk about them negatively if they get the opportunity as they ALL have done throughout the season.

I don’t mind the idea of Froggy taking Curnow. There will be stages where he gets shown up but I feel he has the ability to do the job. Harris to come across and chop out on the long balls in. Leaves Harris to be able to play his normal game/take the resting ruck and Payne/Diz to take Harry
I think Lester would get toweled up if playing 1 on 1 against Curnow. The only way it would work is if they tag teamed to help Lester otherwise Curnow would have too much class & pace for him.

Michael Whiting on The Roar Deal said he thinks Jack Payne wont get up for this game, he also thinks Ryan Lester will go to Charlie Curnow if Payne doesn't play.

IMO if our defensive pressure up the field is at a good level Froggy will do a serviceable job.

They barely beat the 8th placed team (who kicked 9.14) and then Melbourne kicked 9.17 against them. Not saying the game will be an easy one by any stretch but we are justified in being strong favourites.

We just need to keep a level head and execute like we have for the majority of the season.

Despite the possibility of Payne not playing I'm still not overly worried with this game. Blues have played two highly physical contests in a row and I doubt they'll have the legs to go with us for 4 quarters - especially factoring in our week off. If we can get them in the midfield we have too many forward weapons for them to contain. I'm confident that Daniher will give Weitering a bath as well. The maturity we've shown in the media over the past week leaves me confident that this won't be a repeat of 2020 where we bottle a golden opportunity to make the grand final.

I also agree with the parallels that some have drawn on here comparing us last year to Carlton this year. Hopefully that trend continues this week.

They barely beat the 8th placed team (who kicked 9.14) and then Melbourne kicked 9.17 against them. Not saying the game will be an easy one by any stretch but we are justified in being strong favourites.

We just need to keep a level head and execute like we have for the majority of the season.

The 8th place team that should’ve finished 12th (if North could count to 75 and if the goal umpire in the Adelaide game didn’t screw up)

I think Lester would get toweled up if playing 1 on 1 against Curnow. The only way it would work is if they tag teamed to help Lester otherwise Curnow would have too much class & pace for him.
Have some faith man!

As people have said, while players have direct opponents, the whole team defence thing mitigates against a direct and unsupported man on man contest.

Lester can expect other talls spoiling, defenders playing in front of Curnow, blocking his run and he also has a right to be confident, because he is in form and all the pressure is actually on Curnow.

As the article on Lester from the club that I posted yesterday, (below) observed, Lester has hardly lost a one on one contest this year.

Reliable Ryan Reinvented For Finals Run

He’s been rarely beaten one-on-one, can play on opponents of varying size, and his organising capabilities, too, have been key.

This is the sort of challenge Ryan Lester has been waiting his whole career for.
“Reliable Ryan” has got this!

Last edited:
D
Michael Whiting on The Roar Deal said he thinks Jack Payne wont get up for this game, he also thinks Ryan Lester will go to Charlie Curnow if Payne doesn't play.

IMO if our defensive pressure up the field is at a good level Froggy will do a serviceable job.
Did he go in to much detail as to why, based off training or more than that?

I mean i guess he should know but as others have said he would have had every tuesday session one as a light / rehab one for weeks if not months

szjl5D1W.jpg

Fresh from winning the J.J.Liston Trophy, Jarryd Lyons, in the team, at the very least as a SUB would make me much more relaxed. His numbers in the VFL are astounding.
Lyons kicked nine goals and averaged 33 disposals, eight clearances, eight score involvements and five tackles during the home and away season. He accumulated 30 or more disposals 13 times, including three 40-plus disposal outings.
- Fox Sports

I would love to see him in midfield rotations and could see an argument for playing Lyons and using Robertson as SUB. Alternatively, we go in “unchanged” with Lyons as SUB and the only variable being Payne.

Having Lyons available in the Preliminary Final is much more important than trying to select a backup for McInerney or tinkering with our already exemplary forward line. An injury to Neale, Dunkley or Hugh McCluggage during the game would be really damaging and that is where we would be thanking our lucky stars we have Lyons available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back