Bronx Cheering of young developing players

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday the saints played collingwood. I'll be honest when we play collingwood a little bit of white line fever kicks in with a lot of our supporters, myself included. However yesterday I saw something that made me actually feel a lot of empathy for a collingwood player.

Yesterday Darcy Moore tried his absolute guts out. Repeat leads and never gave up. Then it happened his own supporters bronx cheered him.

Am I the only one who finds this utterly disgraceful?

I mean you can tell the kid was putting in the effort with little to no support around him. The kid loves playing for collingwood and is living his child hood dream pulling on the jumper. Hes a young developing KPF in a side that doesn't really have a lot of talls around him to take the pressure of. He has played less than 50 games and is only in his third season.

The kid has a truck load of heart and potential and will probably be the pies marque forward for the next 10 years. To Bronx cheer him FMD

Anyways how do you guys feel about it? How do you feel about supporters Bronx cheering young players?

There are supporters from all clubs that turn feral when the game is lost, I would be suprised if half of them knew his first name.

Kid will learn that crowds are fickle and are not representative of his performance.

Yesterday the saints played collingwood. I'll be honest when we play collingwood a little bit of white line fever kicks in with a lot of our supporters, myself included. However yesterday I saw something that made me actually feel a lot of empathy for a collingwood player.

Yesterday Darcy Moore tried his absolute guts out. Repeat leads and never gave up. Then it happened his own supporters bronx cheered him.

Am I the only one who finds this utterly disgraceful?

I mean you can tell the kid was putting in the effort with little to no support around him. The kid loves playing for collingwood and is living his child hood dream pulling on the jumper. Hes a young developing KPF in a side that doesn't really have a lot of talls around him to take the pressure of. He has played less than 50 games and is only in his third season.

The kid has a truck load of heart and potential and will probably be the pies marque forward for the next 10 years. To Bronx cheer him FMD

Anyways how do you guys feel about it? How do you feel about supporters Bronx cheering young players?

Don't think it's an issue, because you are young you don't get a free pass. There has been thousands of players who have tried their guts out and didn't make it. He is doing a good job for a guy who is being asked to play a position out of his depth.
But from the supporters point of view they don't grab the record and say he is only 20 years old let's give him a break. Be a nice utopia.

I think every supporter base unfortunately has these 'nuffy' supporters. They are the ones who probably scream out 'Ballllll' for every tackle when in no way, shape or form could it be holding the ball (top pet peeve of mine going to the footy).

I've been to games where I just want to gag certain Carlton supporters for the utter shit that's coming out of their mouths in regards to bagging players. Every team has them, not just the Pies...

IIRC, Saints supporters Bronx cheered Mccartin in his first game when he got his first disposal after going statless in the first half.

Every team has fans that do it. The players need to suck it up.

It's a brutal game..in more ways than one.

Only the mentally strong survive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offense OP but "trying your guts out" should be the absolute bare minimum you expect from an AFL player, regardless of experience.
Fair point but some players don't and escape scrutiny. I've watched some guys go through the motions and literally look like they want to be somewhere else. Still don't get dropped or cop abuse

I think Bronx cheering your own players is a dick move.

If you live your life by the principle "don't be a Dick" then you'll avoid Bronx cheering as it's not something you have to do and it doesn't really help anything.

Even Bronx cheering opposition players is a bit of a Dick move - but I get the tribal/combative/US versus them side of things so I can understand that a bit more.

Not a fan of it myself. And if a player does lose confidence because of it, it's not really smart by supporters who actually want the player to improve. You're not really helping are by giving negative support.

But the other flip side of the coin is they get paid big dollars to be in the spotlight and need to be able to handle negative feed back from the public whether warranted or not.

Not a fan of it myself. And if a player does lose confidence because of it, it's not really smart by supporters who actually want the player to improve. You're not really helping are by giving negative support.

But the other flip side of the coin is they get paid big dollars to be in the spotlight and need to be able to handle negative feed back from the public whether warranted or not.
That's the problem with the Moore one. You could see him slump the shoulders from it. He was affected by it.

Not saying this relates to Moore particularly (will be very good player), but I can think of no other sport where players get games simply because they're 'young', then in the afl.

No relegation has a lot to do with it as does draft positioning. In sports such as union and league where there is also no relegation it's also less prevelent due to safety issues (you can't play an under-developed 18 yr old prop for example). As a result lots of kids get games who are simply miles off league standard. Becomes very obvious once sides can't make finals. Might be a reason for fan frustration.

So how old does a player need to be before they can cop the bronx cheer?

I know I'll get the usual sanctimonious "no player should cop it" but to me if a player is dropping simple chances then they deserve a light-hearted backhander from the supporters.

If a player hates it and can't use it as motivation to improve then they're probably a waste of time anyway.

If I were Moore I would be thinking "**** you Collingwood fans" and then signing the dotted line at a club that appreciates its players a bit more. I would not want to play for a team where the supporter base gives Bronx cheers to 20 year old KPF's who really should not be expected to do that much at that age. If I were Moore I would not want my future talent and success to bring those Collingwood fans any joy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bronx Cheering of young developing players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back