Bronx Cheering of young developing players

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the bronxy was because we actually hit a target and had a mark taken, not specifically for Moore.

If I were Moore I would be thinking "**** you Collingwood fans" and then signing the dotted line at a club that appreciates its players a bit more. I would not want to play for a team where the supporter base gives Bronx cheers to 20 year old KPF's who really should not be expected to do that much at that age. If I were Moore I would not want my future talent and success to bring those Collingwood fans any joy.
Wanted: A club with no dickhead supporters. And a unicorn to ride on weekends!

I won't boo kids but if a senior player continues to stuff up of course I'll give them a spray. Goes for coaches aswell.

I was really surprised he got the bronx cheer... I probably would have joined in on yesterday they.

Moore has had over 2 years of practically being automatically selected. In his last 10 or so games he has done very, very little. He may appear to be trying, but what the team needs him to do is TRY to lead to space and take marks. He continually hangs around for the pack marks, which 99% of the time he never gets close to marking. He finally takes a mark on the HBF in the last quarter after the game is lost and the Collingwood supporters bronx cheer him. If this isn't a message to Nathan Buckley I don't know what is.

Moore need to be dropped to work out how to be a leading forward and take marks in the 50 meter arc... not on the HBF.

Collingwood supporters have had enough of players being picked automatically when them being in the team costs us games. We would have been better off with Moore out of the team yesterday... and Moores' (first and only) bronx cheer is a way of letting the club know enough is enough.

I myself wouldn't do it but if others do it its their choice.

I think we have enough people in this world telling us what we should think, feel do, say or any other number of things!

Woosha gave his opinion last week on Eddie being subjected to racism(and no i don't condone racism, nor does Woosha) and I thought he raised some good points.

Political correctness is ruining this country!

But I guess thats another conversation.

I've only booed Melbourne players twice: when we lost to Freo by 10 goals in 1999 at the MCC, Freo's first win there. We were at full strength and were battling for a finals spot and we grossly underestimated the opposition. Modra kicked 10. Champion. And vs GWS at the MCC in 2014, again losing by 10 goals.

I boo and jeer when I genuinely believe the team hasn't arrived to play and they haven't earned their money.

But I would never jeer a young player. I got into a couple of fights with fellow Melbourne supporters over Watts. Some of the stuff said about him during matches by his own fans has been disgusting. Has subsided the last few years though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The expectations of young players is over the top.

When I was young there were 4 players in S.A. - Bradley, Kernahan, Platten and Motley who played 4 years of SANFL before they played VFL (which was the best competition).

Nowadays many too many supporters want A grade standard in 2 years.

Not saying this relates to Moore particularly (will be very good player), but I can think of no other sport where players get games simply because they're 'young', then in the afl.

No relegation has a lot to do with it as does draft positioning. In sports such as union and league where there is also no relegation it's also less prevelent due to safety issues (you can't play an under-developed 18 yr old prop for example). As a result lots of kids get games who are simply miles off league standard. Becomes very obvious once sides can't make finals. Might be a reason for fan frustration.

It's the nature of having 38-40 player senior lists. Every year you're gonna have between 3-6 first year players, extrapolate that out and your gonna have 9-18 1-3 year players on your list of 38. 22 senior players plays a few injuries/suspensions here or there make it inevitable that young kids will get games before they're ready.

I think Weideman at the Demons is another example, has struggled but has yet to play 10 games, 2nd year player. Would benefit from extra time in the VFL to develop but we seem to select him over a guy like Pedersen because we want to "get games into him"

Yep. If someone clearly isnt trying and wont chase and cant hold a tackle that is one thing. But Moore tried the entire game.

You do realise the bronx cheers were mainly from Saints supporters...after Moore finally clunked a mark after dropping several easy ones.

There may have been a few pies fans joining in but Saints supporters were by and large the main noise.

We have some significant issues at the club but this isn't one of them. Darcy is well out of form and would be down on himself for it, but he's not exactly a fragile little petal when it comes to ego and self-belief.

I would never boo one of my own players and if there were Pies supporters doing it it's pretty poor form, but this is footy, not grade 5 macrame.

I've never heard anyone bronx cheer at AFL games. Booing is prevalent but not bronx cheers in my experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bronx Cheering of young developing players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back