Brownlow Vs AFL MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Which honour does BF hold in higher regard?

An award that is given by the umpire’s votes who they have just seen play before there very eye’s? (Remember these votes are taken after ever game).

Or

An award given by the players themselves, who might have only seen the guy play 3 or 4 times during the whole season? (Remember these votes are taken towards the end season).

Remember the players do not watch ever game every week, 2 maybe 3 at the most. Chris Judd said he only has time to watch 1 game a week (and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a replay of the game they just played) so how did he come up with his vote?

Just want to hear your thoughts!!!
Brownlow or AFL MVP :confused:

Brownlow is a **** medal, it's awarded by those poncy pricks in white.

In a game where a full back may keep a key forward goal-less but a midfielder may clock up 30 easy possesions and the full back gets no votes is wrong to me.

dodgyJim said:
Brownlow is a **** medal, it's awarded by those poncy pricks in white.

In a game where a full back may keep a key forward goal-less but a midfielder may clock up 30 easy possesions and the full back gets no votes is wrong to me.

Exactly right.

Until backmen and even forwards start getting attention from the umpires I couldn't care if they scrape the thing.

Great question.

I'm sticking with the MVP. Nothing beats being judged by your peers.

Most umpires simply dont understand the difference between a flashy performance and a true matchwinning performance.

The players on the paddock know who is truly the best player for that season...and the way they conduct the award virtually guarantee's the best player for that season wins it.

1-2 of the coaching panel from each club should get together after each game. They've had the best view of the whole game, know who they've tried hardest to stop, which opposition players have carved them up, or which of their players have had a field day. Maybe chuck one umpire in to cast a deciding vote if there isn't consensus.

As much as i hate the umpires at times, i reckon their opinions is very well received as to who's the best player on the ground. They have the most nonbias opinion and the best view of who's doing the hard work and who's having the best influence on the ground.

That is why the medal is regarded as the best individual acheivement a player can receive.

Daicos_magic said:
As much as i hate the umpires at times, i reckon their opinions is very well received as to who's the best player on the ground. They have the most nonbias opinion and the best view of who's doing the hard work and who's having the best influence on the ground.

That is why the medal is regarded as the best individual acheivement a player can receive.

yeah in the midfied only

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both have their place... to a footballer MVP would be more treasured but footy is more and more about marketing

IF AFL put the glitz on MVP it would rival Brownlow...

but Chaz Brownlow has seriously lost it's credibility... not because of the maggots..... but rather they dont seem to understand the value of KPP especially defenders.... Glendining (spel?) was fantastic but what hope NOW unless your a midfielder!

MadDawg said:
Coaches Award is the one I hold the highest.
Agree, the coaches award that existed a few seasons ago was the best, not sure if it is still in existence

But all coaches after the games put in their votes on who they thought had the biggest impact on the game and a tally was kept throughout the season.

The players are too focused on performing their particular role on game day to know exactly who has done very well, also many dont want anything to do with footy after they play the game so would have no idea about performances in other games apart from what they read in the media.

If the players voted after each game and the results were tallied up then it would hold more weight in my eyes, but as it is it is simply a popularity contest, the player with the biggest profile will win it on most occasions. with no correlation to actual perfromance in individual games.

Code:
		AFLPA MVP			Brownlow
2005		Ben Cousins			Ben Cousins
2004		Nick Riewoldt			Chris Judd (Riewoldt equal 7th, 13 votes behind)
2003		Michael Voss			Nathan Buckley/Adam Goodes/Mark Ricciuto (Voss equal 7th, 3 votes behind)
2002		Luke Darcy/Michael Voss		Simon Black (Darcy equal 9th, 9 votes behind, Voss equal 3rd, 8 votes behind)
2001		Andrew McLeod			Jason Akermanis (McLeod 2nd, 2 votes behind)
2000		Anthony Koutoufides		Shane Woewodin (Koutoufides 4th, 5 votes behind)
1999		Shane Crawford			Shane Crawford
1998		Wayne Carey			Robert Harvey (Carey equal 6th, 12 votes behind)
1997		Robert Harvey			Robert Harvey/Chris Grant*ineligible
1996		Corey McKernan			James Hird/Michael Voss/Corey McKernan*ineligible
1995		Wayne Carey			Paul Kelly (Carey equal 9th, 7 votes behind)
1994		Greg Williams			Greg Williams
1993		Gary Ablett			Gavin Wanganeen (Ablett equal 9th, 5 votes behind)
1992		Jason Dunstall			Scott Wynd (Dunstall 2nd, 2 votes behind)
1991		Jim Stynes			Jim Stynes
1990		Darren Millane			Tony Liberatore (Millane equal 29th, 10 votes behind)
1989		Tim Watson			Paul Couch (Watson equal 3rd, 6 votes behind)
1988		Gerard Healy			Gerard Healy
1987		Tony Lockett			Tony Lockett/John Platten
1986		Paul Roos			Robert DiPierdomenico/Greg Williams (Roos 3rd, 1 vote behind)
1985		Greg Williams			Brad Hardie (Williams equal 4th, 7 votes behind)
1984		Russell Greene			Peter Moore (equal 23rd, 9 votes behind)
1983		Terry Daniher			Ross Glendinning (Daniher equal 6th, 9 votes behind)
1982		Leigh Matthews			Brian Wilson (Matthews equal 3rd, 6 votes behind)

This shows that the most valuable player in the league is, more often than note, voted by the umpires as being in the 10 best and fairest players in the league.

Both awards are biased towards midfielders and forwards (the Brownlow trend has been towards midfielders of late).

The biggest problem the Brownlow has is it's objectivity. It rates all BOG efforts (as judged by umpires) the same.

For example... Matthew Pavlich may play a blinder in collecting 15 marks, 20+ possessions and kicking 6-8 goals.
He gets 3 votes.
Joel Corey gets 23 possessions in a game where there is no real stand out, but the umpire has to award someone top votes.
He gets 3 votes.

But that's the system, and it's generally the reason why it's so hard to pick the winner.

But history shows that favourites can win. It's just that the inflexible voting system doesn't allow for performances to be judged with any subjectivity.

Brownlow >>>>>>>>>> MVP

Sure, MPV is almost infinitely more accurate, but the Brownlow is the one that gets all attention.

Why?

1. Suspense.
2. Tradition
3. Red carpet

etc

Pretty hard for the MVP to have all those things. Whilst the MPV pretty much gets it right, it falls down in many other areas. The MVP will never be the big one, so maybe the AfL should review their voting policy.?

Maybe a select panel awarding the votes every match for the season? Players putting in votes every game? Which ever way you look at it, there will always be a problem with the Brownlow.

But at the end of the day, that tradition, suspense, gala night etc is what makes it so prestigious. It's the biggest individual award in Australian sport.

I just say we constantly counsel these umpires to stop big f-wits. Sort of narrow the gap inbetween f-wit gaps by constantly reminding them.

You can't take the Brownlow seriously when it's almost impossible for a forward to win it, and completely impossible for a backman. Over the last couple of years, how many Brownlow votes were awarded to champion players like Fletcher or Clement?

You have to pay some attention to the MVP (much more than the Brownlow), but your real shortlist of the very best players in a particular year is your club best and fairest awards. OK, that gives you 16, not one, but one if those 16 will be the best player of the year for sure.

What do you think about awarding the MVP and Coaches Award on the same night as the Brownlow Medal?
Would that be a good idea or would it take away the prestige of the Brownlow?

Tannin said:
You can't take the Brownlow seriously when it's almost impossible for a forward to win it, and completely impossible for a backman. Over the last couple of years, how many Brownlow votes were awarded to champion players like Fletcher or Clement?
who is the last backmen to win a MVP award???

perhaps it simply reflects the fact that it is more important and harder to win a game hence ur best players more often then not play forward or on the ball.

Tannin said:
You have to pay some attention to the MVP (much more than the Brownlow), but your real shortlist of the very best players in a particular year is your club best and fairest awards. OK, that gives you 16, not one, but one if those 16 will be the best player of the year for sure.
The MVP doesn't always win the club b&f or the brownlow, bet the coaches award winner would win his club respective b&f!

RustyG said:
What do you think about awarding the MVP and Coaches Award on the same night as the Brownlow Medal?
Would that be a good idea or would it take away the prestige of the Brownlow?
It would take away the prestige.

It would be:

Everyone here came to see who would win this thing (charlie) but we all know the best player is sitting over there with that mvp trophy.

Wouldn't work. Just keep them like they are. Everyone knows who the best player is (or round abouts). The Brownlow is for the glitz and glamour. Some pretty handy players still win it too.

I'd just like the umpires doing the voting to smarten up a bit. I find it strange that the AFL hasn't met with them and said "smarten up your act. Learn how to identify the best players, and stop being biased and personal".

konstas_87 said:
congratulations...
so does Voss, he has a a few other medals crawf has never managed as well ;)
crawf won both his awards in the same year.

voss didn't and wasn't even his clubs b&f winner when he was voted MVP............reputation won him the award

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow Vs AFL MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back