Bryce Gibbs v Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly HP the amount of times you get your ass handed to you on your own stupid debates is fairly amusing.

Keep up the good work:thumbsu:.

Gibbs has done nothing though, and is living off being a no.1 pick
Rioli is a matchwinner and has been consistent too.

Absolute rubbish, since when did Rioli win a match last season, yes he contributed..but he did not win a match EVER. Gibbs has done that already with his 35 possession 2 goal game and also being able to tag Goodes out of the game as well. He is a special talent. There is a reason I was hoping Carlton would take Leunberger at 1 in 2006, I really wanted Gibbs, he is special. As for Hird, the draft has changed a lot since then. The 2007 draft compared to the 2006 draft was on the weaker side and Rioli was not a top 10 pick. Recruiters know what they are talking about when they let him slide a bit.

Absolute rubbish, since when did Rioli win a match last season, yes he contributed..but he did not win a match EVER. Gibbs has done that already with his 35 possession 2 goal game and also being able to tag Goodes out of the game as well. He is a special talent. There is a reason I was hoping Carlton would take Leunberger at 1 in 2006, I really wanted Gibbs, he is special. As for Hird, the draft has changed a lot since then. The 2007 draft compared to the 2006 draft was on the weaker side and Rioli was not a top 10 pick. Recruiters know what they are talking about when they let him slide a bit.

Save your breath, you are debating with a troll. :)

Stop making piss poor excuses and/or showing your complete and utter ignorance of the game.

Anyone with even a passing interest in the game knows it is far easier to get a kick playing in the guts than it is as a small forward.

This thread's a tough one for you isn't it?

The anti-Carlton side of the argument is too ridiculous even for you to jump on board. Nice to see you consoling yourself by taking potshots from your football high-horse where able, though.

"Can't attack Carlton... must... attack... posters!"

And to be fair, he said "get a kick and win the ball."

I'd argue that it IS harder to win the ball in the middle than in the forward line. It's contest after contest in a congested situation. There's rarely a lazy lead into space or a lucky crumb from a spilled mark.

The anti-Carlton side of the argument is too ridiculous even for you to jump on board. Nice to see you consoling yourself by taking potshots from your football high-horse where able, though.

I'd argue that it IS harder to win the ball in the middle than in the forward line. It's contest after contest in a congested situation. There's rarely a lazy lead into space or a lucky crumb from a spilled mark.

I think that arguing is the reason why it is easier to pick up disposals in the midfield. 'Contest after contest'.. someone is exposed to the ball a lot more.

A forward line has several avenues, but with only one designation - goals.

I think that arguing is the reason why it is easier to pick up disposals in the midfield. 'Contest after contest'.. someone is exposed to the ball a lot more.

I agree it's easier to pick up disposals in the middle, but often those disposals are much harder fought than say a crumb, or a mark on a lead.

Anyway, it can be viewed from a number of angles. No need to worsen a thread that is already very, very average with trivialities. :thumbsu:

So many people seem to not have watched Rioli play. It's quite funny though that they just assume they know how he plays because of the position he gets named in.

For example all the talk about crumbing, leading, kicking goals and the such....cos that's what small forwards do isn't it?? :rolleyes:

If you actually paid attention to Rioli and the way he goes about it, you'd know he has the natural attributes of an elite midfielder. He just applied them at one end of the ground more than the other in his first season.

Watch him in a pack, watch him run one way, and shift weight onto his other side and move around an experienced opponent with ease. Watch him sum up a situation in less time than it takes to click your fingers.
He does all this, and not sporadically. He does it consistently.

For those who have watched him this year, and watched him closely he's everything Gary Jnr was at the same age and more....yet still people want to pigeonhole him as something we've seen before and then use that as a way of saying 'he'll never be' this or 'he'll never be that'.
Much the same as many people did with a 19yr old called Lance Franklin when he started to kick bags of goals.

The fact remains that everything Gibbs does, Rioli can do just as well, so don't let inflated number of possessions or Numnber 1 draft pick hype sway you. Rioli will be an absolute gem, and I look forward to watching his development.

The fact remains that everything Gibbs does, Rioli can do just as well, so don't let inflated number of possessions or Numnber 1 draft pick hype sway you. Rioli will be an absolute gem, and I look forward to watching his development.
What rot .. lets see rioli play on adam goodes and not only beat him on the ground but also outmark him one on one, same for Chad Cornes .
It appears there are a few hawks supporters who simply have no idea what they are talking about .
From your post i can only assume you haven't seen Gibbs play .

The 2007 draft compared to the 2006 draft was on the weaker side and Rioli was not a top 10 pick. Recruiters know what they are talking about when they let him slide a bit.

Like they did when they let Franklin slide to # 5 or when they let Joel Selwood slide to # 7 ....

LOL, so now the number your selected in the draft is a certainty as to the level of success you will achieve ...

Like arguing with gerbols

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its pretty hard to compare Rioli with Gibbs as one just played their first year, and the other one his second year.

I do know Rioli's first year was as good as anyone I've seen though. I just looked at his first year highlights, and can not believe its a first year player. Surely some people are under-rating his talents a fair bit.

Those who think he's just a forward crumber who kicks a few goals just don't watch any football. He is an amazing talent.

Gibbs is a brilliant play making midfielder who will dominate a game start to finish, where Rioli will get less touches, but every single one of his possesions is extremely damaging.

Have a look at his highlights packages on youtube, they are the most impressive for a first year player that I can remember.

What rot .. lets see rioli play on adam goodes and not only beat him on the ground but also outmark him one on one, same for Chad Cornes .
It appears there are a few hawks supporters who simply have no idea what they are talking about .
From your post i can only assume you haven't seen Gibbs play .
Better still, lets see Gibbs run straight at Nathan Bock and lay a tackle that renders him useless. Ditto Heath Scotland.
Or see Gibbs take on three and beat them in a grand final, in his first year.
Maybe we might even see Gibbs getting tagged by a Brownlow medalist in a final, in his first year. :rolleyes:

or you could just shut up and watch this kids highlights.
Go on, I dare you. Watch it.
[youtube]W_32gMMufyE[/youtube]

By the way, I've watched Gibbs play many times, and sure he's a class player, but you Carlton fools are so biased in your praise for Gibbs that you're totally overlooking just how good Rioli was in his first season of football.
May I remind you, he was pick 12, and supposedly didn't have a motor for AFL.
Imagine what he'll be doing in 3 years time.

Seriously, this obsession you have with me is more than a tad embarrassing.

Lets not get carried away here..

Cyril is a great player but he isnt a player you go to watch no matter what team he played for.

Buddy Franklin is however.

Gibbs wil be better in the future.

Lets not get carried away here..

Cyril is a great player but he isnt a player you go to watch no matter what team he played for.

Buddy Franklin is however.

Gibbs wil be better in the future.
Maybe if you're 15, or have no uderstanding of, or appreciation for the skills of the game of AFL.

Just listen to the commentaries of the GF, and tell me that Lyon, Brayshaw, Walls, Buckley, McAvaney, Frawley, Taylor, Thomas and Darcy wouldn't pay money to go watch him.
All these blokes can't contain there man-love for junior boy.

Maybe if you're 15, or have no uderstanding of, or appreciation for the skills of the game of AFL.

Just listen to the commentaries of the GF, and tell me that Lyon, Brayshaw, Walls, Buckley, McAvaney, Frawley, Taylor, Thomas and Darcy wouldn't pay money to go watch him.
All these blokes can't contain there man-love for junior boy.

pointless support for Rioli from all but Hawthorn supporters who lack perspective

pointless support for Rioli from all but Hawthorn supporters who lack perspective
Here's some perspective for you.

Rioli held his spot all year, in a premiership side. In his debut year of AFL.
The stats about his goal assists, tackles, running bounces are all out there if you wish to find them.

You could even watch that video I put up.

Or then again, you just stick by the 'Gibbs went number 1 and so there's not a chance in hell Rioli could ever be better than him' stance that so many of you Carlton suppoorters and Teenagers seem to think just has to be factual.

Rioli held his spot all year, in a premiership side. In his debut year of AFL.
That's all that really needs to be said.

I really can't believe some of the crap in this thread.

To date, Rioli's best > Gibbs' best.

Haven't seen Rioli squib a contest either. Bryce has notched up his fair share of those.

Better still, lets see Gibbs run straight at Nathan Bock and lay a tackle that renders him useless. Ditto Heath Scotland.
Or see Gibbs take on three and beat them in a grand final, in his first year.
Maybe we might even see Gibbs getting tagged by a Brownlow medalist in a final, in his first year. :rolleyes:

or you could just shut up and watch this kids highlights.
Go on, I dare you. Watch it.
[youtube]W_32gMMufyE[/youtube]

By the way, I've watched Gibbs play many times, and sure he's a class player, but you Carlton fools are so biased in your praise for Gibbs that you're totally overlooking just how good Rioli was in his first season of football.
May I remind you, he was pick 12, and supposedly didn't have a motor for AFL.
Imagine what he'll be doing in 3 years time.
It is refreshing to see your completely un baised commentary on Rioli.
I guess most neutral posters are also biased in thier commentary on Gibbs being better than Rioli in your very fair & unbiased eyes. If you bother to read neutral supporters comments they generally would rather have Gibbs.
You Hawthorn trolls are the biggest flogs in Big Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs v Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back