Buddy - How do you think he'll fare at the Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah. He won't do that good at brownlow. Hodgey should do okay. I hope Clinton Young gets a good amount of brownlow votes. He is so underated...

Now we all know how the Brownlow is basically a midfielders award, but what do you think about Buddy's chances at getting the Brownlow (possibly even this year), but most likely in years to come?

If we take Brownlows into consideration....
Shane Woewodin OR Brad Hardie OR Brian Wilson OR Tony Liberatore (1 Brownlow each)
is the equal of
Tony Lockett + Jason Dunstall + Leigh Matthews + Wayne Carey + Gary Ablett + Jonathan Brown + Peter Hudson + Gordon Coventry + Buddy (1 Brownlow combined)

Adam Goodes (2 Brownlows) is greater than the same combination of players

Buddy has his work cut out for him. 130+ goal seasons by Dunstall, Hudson, Peter McKenna and Bob Pratt didn't win Brownlows, so Buddy might have to break the 150 goal record to have a slim chance. :rolleyes:
He was half-way there last year and only polled 5 votes.

I sure hope he can do it. Unfortunately, I suspect Chance is more of a chance! (No offense intended to Changa of course!!)

For what its worth IMO buddy has got a chance because of the way the game is played out these days. To compare him with other greats of the game (FORWARDS)gives a reasonable view on how umpires think but back then forwards would only stay in the forward line, now they are basically anywhere, anytime and buddy's under their noses alot more than other forwards. But having said that the umpires are very SENSITIVE and he does give them a mouthful everytime he gets penalised....... will pole very well I reckon.

Put him down for 3 for Rd5
My "expert" tally has Buddy down for a total of 6 votes after 5 rounds. Let's suppose he matches this for the rest of the season - a huge supposition - but let's just suppose Buddy has the goods to pull it off. Throw out 2 rounds for injury, illness, form, opponent's prowess, etc. - and Buddy polls 24 votes for the season. This would be a great result for Buddy!
Is 24 enough? Since 1978 - the year they went back to the 3-2-1 votes per match format - 24 votes would have earned a Brownlow medal 20 times in 30 seasons - a 67% chance. Since 1998 - the past 10 seasons - 24 votes would have resulted in a Brownlow medal only 3 times - a 30% chance.
I think Buddy will need more than 24 votes to earn the Brownlow. I'm not sure that is probable for a forward. If he wins it he will need to kick more than a few big bags & Hawks will need to win 20 or 21 matches this season.
I'm going to have to predict he will finish a bit behind of the eventual Brownlow winner this season.:(

Top 3.

1. L Hodge
2. C Bateman
3. L Franklin
4. S Mitchell
5. G Ablett

10. B. Sewell

No shame in that for Buddy.

It looked like you were doing the best and fairest for your club until you put Gazza there. Four Hawks in the top 4? Lol, what a joke. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy - How do you think he'll fare at the Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back