Dogs Aboard

Debutant
May 28, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The Canterbury Bulldogs.
Just read a thread and hearing on the radio that people are saying and writing that we are favourites to get Ben Cousins....
Surely theres no room for him in our midfield!!!:eek:

No way! I do not like him. I don't care how great he used to be. I don't want him around our club.

And you're right - no room in the midfield.

I want him to go to Collingwood. He'd fit in perfectly down that way!

I hope we go after him vigorously and get him. All those who criticised us getting Aker, although for other reasons, are now eating humble pie.
Our midfield would be sensational.

in the herald sun article on all of our re signings they quoted james fantasia saying that we are almost 100% of our salary cap trying to retain our current players. would't that mean we couldn't get cousins even if we wanted him?????

I hope we go after him vigorously and get him. All those who criticised us getting Aker, although for other reasons, are now eating humble pie.
Our midfield would be sensational.

For friggin frig's sake !!!!!!!!!!!

Aker
flamboyant handstanding character who had an argument with his coach and other players because he got pre-maturely excited about becoming the next John Laws/Alan Jones on talk back radio.

Cousins
walking a hazy line between drug trafficker and drug user

If West retires, the room will be there.

Having too many 30-year-olds won't be a great thing, although Cousins could be the player will need to get us a premiership.

I'm not suggesting West will retire, either. It's just the only way we will consider Cousins, which would still be unlikely.

Could replace Westy who might just about be done. If he's cheapish and the experts think he has 2 or 3 good years left (he may have freshend right up with the break), hes a no-brainer. Imagine throwing him into the mix with Griff, Cooney, Cross and Boyd. Could well be enough running power to get over the top of the cats.

As good as Cousins was and may be as a footballer, I fail to see how we could possibly have room for him.
In our midfield we have

Cooney
Griffen
Boyd
Cross
Ray
Ward
Higgins
as solid for the future

Akermanis
Johnson
West
Eagleton
for experience

Harbrow
Hill
O'Keefe
Stack
Ward
Wood
as a development group

Recruiting Cousins would be a high risk strategy exposing our developing players, putting pressure on our salary cap and force us to trade away someone we would prefer to keep.

Our depth is such that I think we will have to encourage a retirement and even trade a player to allow us to participate fully in the draft to keep finding and deveoping new talent.

I feel that the talk of Cousins from the media is part of their under-rating of our group and believing we need a Cousins type to make us a real premiership chance.

Cousins would probably be suited at St Kilda where they are in desperate need of some pace in the midfield and a replacement for Harvey (eventually)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read a thread and hearing on the radio that people are saying and writing that we are favourites to get Ben Cousins....
Surely theres no room for him in our midfield!!!:eek:

Not wanting to devalue the thread, but the quality of a lot of talk back callers are not exactly blue chip. There is usually a large difference to what a lot of talk back callers say and what actually happens.

As I said in another thread, there is more chance of me lining up in the midfield next year for the dogs than Cousins.

People shouldn't get their hopes up about Cousins coming here next year.

I wouldn't think so. As if he'd play with Aker...or more importantly as if Aker would want to play with him.

But for those worried about salary cap issues. Cousins wouldn't be demanding anywhere near the 500K mark he used to. More likely around the 200K mark. Every team has room for that considering he'll only be on the list for 2-3 years.

We have sort of worked ourselves into a position where even West's re-inclusion was looking tough in the mid-feild.

I think getting Fev has more chances than getting Cousins.

Remember Rocket recently said that he was not looking for players to fill spots caused through injury.

Think of it this way, if he was such a good risk to take, why are not all 16 teams clammering for him? A champion player, low salary cost, you don't have to trade to get him. He should be an absolute priority for clubs if he was such a good thing. But the reality is, you might get one, maybe two clubs willing to take the punt on him.

Why only maybe one or two? Because club directors of million dollar businesses such as football clubs are responsible people and don't want to p..s their brand and image up against the wall for the sake of recruiting a 31 year old footballer with a constant history of poor decision making, lack of responsibility and extremely poor life choices. They simply won't put the club at risk.

Fans want him but they don't have to bear the brunt of the fall out when it goes pear shaped. They don't have to employ minders to watch him 24/7. They don't have to sell the idea and soft soap sponsors and corporates.They don't have to explain to the parents of 18 year old draftees why their sons will be immune from exposure to drugs. And they don't have to explain to members why the club has lost draft picks if he reoffends again.

I wouldn't think so. As if he'd play with Aker...or more importantly as if Aker would want to play with him.

But for those worried about salary cap issues. Cousins wouldn't be demanding anywhere near the 500K mark he used to. More likely around the 200K mark. Every team has room for that considering he'll only be on the list for 2-3 years.

Why wouldn't he want to play with Aker?

At the right price I would get him, but ONLY if our doctors make sure his is completely clean and ready to play again.

Why wouldn't he want to play with Aker?

At the right price I would get him, but ONLY if our doctors make sure his is completely clean and ready to play again.

Sorry I don't share the enthusiasm to let someone like Cuz, get to close to our younger players, senior playing or not yet senior playing on a day to day basis. :thumbsdown:

Would lose a lot off supporters I think. Also it would be up to the sponsors really as to how they feel about the whole thing with him. Do they want there name associated with Cousins?

As footballer yer get him. As a bloke and what this club is about in the community. Wouldn't touch him.

As good as Cousins was and may be as a footballer, I fail to see how we could possibly have room for him.
In our midfield we have

Cooney
Griffen
Boyd
Cross
Ray
Ward
Higgins
as solid for the future

Akermanis
Johnson
West
Eagleton
for experience

Harbrow
Hill
O'Keefe
Stack
Ward
Wood
as a development group

Recruiting Cousins would be a high risk strategy exposing our developing players, putting pressure on our salary cap and force us to trade away someone we would prefer to keep.

Our depth is such that I think we will have to encourage a retirement and even trade a player to allow us to participate fully in the draft to keep finding and deveoping new talent.

I feel that the talk of Cousins from the media is part of their under-rating of our group and believing we need a Cousins type to make us a real premiership chance.

Cousins would probably be suited at St Kilda where they are in desperate need of some pace in the midfield and a replacement for Harvey (eventually)

Agree, Well said.:thumbsu:

Onfield, there's no issue. The guy can play pure and simple and will walk into the starting 18 and anyone who thinks he won't improve our team doesn't watch much football or has blinkers on. Salary-wise, I think he'd play on a relatively cheap wage just to get back into the game he loves to play. Trade-wise, he will go in the pre-season draft so no loss there.
The key questions imo is the off field stuff. Is he clean? Will he stay clean? Will he add to sponsorship or detract from sponsorship? Will he bring more members and publicity to the dogs or the opposite? What's in it for Cousins? What will be the impact on the player group?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs favourites to get Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back