News Bulldogs in Midnight Oil clip

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to be a spoil sport. Love the Oils and love the dogs. The Grigic 'lookalike' i am quite sure is Robert Groenewegen. Grigic played through the early to mid 90's whilst this was released in 1982 from the 10 to 1 album. We were lucky enough to have Groeners with us from 78 to around the mid 80's, until some of his footy trip antics caught the ire of not only the Qantas staff but our encumberant coach ....Micheal Malthouse.

Yeh, agree with Kretters, I'm pretty sure Purser was never in the same team as Grgic, likely to be Groeno. Good Braybrook boy, came through the FDL ranks with the Hawk and Wilson, debuted around the same time in 1978. Groeno is the present manager of the Launceston ground and was caught up in the Freo v St Kilda sirengate fiasco.

Clip might to be around the 1985 semi final win against North.

Yeh, agree with Kretters, I'm pretty sure Purser was never in the same team as Grgic, likely to be Groeno. Good Braybrook boy, came through the FDL ranks with the Hawk and Wilson, debuted around the same time in 1978. Groeno is the present manager of the Launceston ground and was caught up in the Freo v St Kilda sirengate fiasco.

The 85 semi was at the MCG, its where fruity kicked his 100th against Noorf. The prelim was at VFL Park when we lost to Hawthorn.

They were the days Barkly! Groeners and Dougie representing Braybrook along with Brian Wilson ?

Reckon that given this was released in '82 (clip as well) there is an indication the game would have been pre 82:thumbsu:

They were the days Barkly! Groeners and Dougie representing Braybrook along with Brian Wilson ?

Reckon that given this was released in '82 (clip as well) there is an indication the game would have been pre 82:thumbsu:

But don't forget that Andrew Purser was recruited in 1983.

I remember this well. We finished bottom 1982, but had a bit of a resurgence in 1983 when we recruited four players from WA: Andrew Purser, Ian Williams, Jim Sewell (and another that temporarily escapes me). We had recruited Beaser the year before.

So if Purser is in the clip, it must be no earlier than 1983.

Can anyone guess who that 4th WA player was who we recruited in 1983?

I remember this well. We finished bottom 1982, but had a bit of a resurgence in 1983 when we recruited four players from WA: Andrew Purser, Ian Williams, Jim Sewell (and another that temporarily escapes me). We had recruited Beaser the year before.

Wasn't Allen Daniels was it? He debuted in 1985.
The other great player who debuted in 1983 was Magic McLean but he was from the Top End.

The other great player who debuted in 1983 was Magic McLean but he was from the Top End.

I remember Daniels, he came at the same time as Hardie I think (1985).
There must have been another who played far less games than the other three who came in 1983.
Purser basically was our ruck division for 8 seasons, while Jimmy Sewell was a handy spare parts player.
Ian Williams had a few good games, but was a bit inconsistent, I'm not even sure if he was a regular by the time 1985 came.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure four came over from WA at the start of the 1983 season: Purser, Sewell, Williams and one more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the album and video clip were released in 1982, it looks like the footage might be from our match against Norf at Waverley Round 4 on 9 May 1981. We lost 118-54. We were the Away team so would be wearing the white shorts.(Life was so much simpler back then!) We also played Norf in 1982 at Waverley, but that was Round 20 on 14 Aug 1982. We also lost that one 118-104 and were the Away team again. I'm not sure when exactly in 1982 that the clip was made, but it seems that mid-August might have been too late for that match to have been used.

I think I see myself in the background in the clip wearing a heavy coat, beanie, scarf, gloves and eating some hot chips with tonnes of salt and vinegar while swearing at the top of my lungs at the umpires.:p

Thanks for two things in this thread:
1. The reminder of our 1985 PF loss at Waverley against the Hawks.:(
2. Realising that the clip was made half my lifetime ago when I was a mere lad of 30.:(

The best two players to debut that year were Brian Royal, probably the best rover in the history of the club and Steve Wallis, can't remember any other WA players to debut that year apart from the three mentioned.

Err maybe I got another one wrong then. It only goes about a second and its blurred so bit of a guess. Pretty def on Doug and Kennedy tho.

Have you had a look at it?

There is an oils special on Fox tonight 930 and one on ABC radio tomorrow at 8 pm
http://www.midnightoil.com/

The 85 semi was at the MCG, its where fruity kicked his 100th against Noorf.

I remember someone said on the radio commentary at half time that the Dog's looked ragged and they thought North would steam over us.

Then Dancing Dougie pulled the trigger did the wild thing in the 3rd Quarter and tore the Roo's a new A##hole

I think Vlad Demitriou was playing on Doug on the wing at the time - no wonder he hates our club

I was travelling overseas in 1983 and didn't expect much after the horrors of 1982

But I started hearing rumours that we were going OK and I caught the win over Carlton on ESPN in a San Francisco pub

Later I was in London and would rush to Victoria House each Monday morning to see the scores from the weekend which were posted on the window -those glorious pre-internet days!

Since the album and video clip were released in 1982, it looks like the footage might be from our match against Norf at Waverley Round 4 on 9 May 1981. We lost 118-54. We were the Away team so would be wearing the white shorts.(Life was so much simpler back then!) We also played Norf in 1982 at Waverley, but that was Round 20 on 14 Aug 1982. We also lost that one 118-104 and were the Away team again. I'm not sure when exactly in 1982 that the clip was made, but it seems that mid-August might have been too late for that match to have been used.

I think I see myself in the background in the clip wearing a heavy coat, beanie, scarf, gloves and eating some hot chips with tonnes of salt and vinegar while swearing at the top of my lungs at the umpires.:p

2. Realising that the clip was made half my lifetime ago when I was a mere lad of 30.:(
Do you have a list of players from 81 Chicago or anyone? I couldn't find a proper list - might still have a footy record somewhere

To me it looks like the 82 game as the guy in the center of the picture is Mick Egan, there's another player on the left with a crappy mo which is either Rod McPherson or Mick McKenna and I think the big guy on the right is Jim McAllister. Both McAllister and McPherson only played against Noorf at VFL Park in 82. The wide angle shot looks like its from a different game as the crowd looks pretty full and the dogs games in 81 and 82 only had small crowds (10k, 11k).

The one on left could be Neil Cordy. I have dvds of the year that was for 81 and 82 but bugger all of us on there! In 82 they showed a few seconds of Royce Hart's last game as coach [v Nth?] then next week when Bluey took over there was the boilover of the season as we beat the previous year's premiers Hawthorn [?]
Then next year we had a few good wins but took off in 1983. I have a dvd of highlights made by the club for 83 - very cultural [inc presentation by the vice pres? in front of some nice geigy - grey curtains, talking to Wayne Walsh and Malthouse]. Liked Peter McKenna commenting on Brian Royal: 'this kid's going to be good!'

Remove this Banner Ad

News Bulldogs in Midnight Oil clip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back