Bulldogs or Hawks, who is better in 2024 and more of a premiership threat?

Bulldogs or Hawks

• Bulldogs

Votes: 101 62.0%
  • Hawks

Votes: 62 38.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair most people had Geelong and Freo on the edge of the bottom 4. It's not really the league's responsibility to predict who will rise and fall year-on-year.

Correct. Although those predictions were always extreme (at lest to me)

With the Dogs can they put together 6 weeks of good footy that they will now need? Seems like they throw in a shocker every 3-4 weeks

Whereas I think we will be competitive every week but we may throw in a bad quarter but will be competitive the rest of the game. That bad quarter can be costly though
We're a strange team. Over the past 14 weeks, we've played some excellent football throughout that entire patch with 3 absolute shockers in between (Lions, Power & Crows).

With the Dogs can they put together 6 weeks of good footy that they will now need? Seems like they throw in a shocker every 3-4 weeks

Whereas I think we will be competitive every week but we may throw in a bad quarter but will be competitive the rest of the game. That bad quarter can be costly though
Yes the only real blip since their run was the Geelong game. I think Hawthorn will feel confident against anyone in finals except maybe Geelong. A fair chance for a home elimination final if they win their last two, as they should.

We're a strange team. Over the past 14 weeks, we've played some excellent football throughout that entire patch with 3 absolute shockers in between (Lions, Power & Crows).
It's simple inaccuracy. I find it weird it's not emphasised enough. There's all the emphasis on their dominance in clearances, contested ball etc, but when the Dogs lose they still often having more scoring shots. It will be inaccuracy that'll cost you guys the flag unless you fix it.

It's simple inaccuracy. I find it weird it's not emphasised enough. There's all the emphasis on their dominance in clearances, contested ball etc, but when the Dogs lose they still often having more scoring shots. It will be inaccuracy that'll cost you guys the flag unless you fix it.
A straight kicking Bulldogs is a scary prospect. Best side in it IMO.

I feel sick saying this, but the answer is Hawthorn 🤮….I’m actually expecting the Dogs to lose next week and not make finals at all.

If you lined up the players from both sides and selected them school-style, I wonder when the first Hawks player would be picked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a non 0% chance that both teams make finals and can go quite deep in it.

I think this season is arguably the best in recent memory in as much as there are currently 11 teams competing for finals and bugger all separates teams out bar maybe Sydney.

Come finals time, I think we will see Doggies well and truly in the hunt and Hawthorn either just missing out, or going in there with the mentality of it being a free swing!
The Bulldogs will likely miss though, won't they?

Carlton should win.
Hawthorn should win.
Freo should win.

That means the Dogs must best GWS to play finals.

If you lined up the players from both sides and selected them school-style, I wonder when the first Hawks player would be picked.
Sicily and Moore would go in the top 6 on 2023-2024 form. Newcombe and Day are just less fashionable versons of Libba and Treloar who have improvement in them. Hawks 13th-23rd players are better.

Probably Dogs tbh.

Their ceiling is higher and if they reach it are a chance.

They also are more inconsistent though and could shit the bed on Sunday.

Even money with the bookies and they usually know their stuff

Probably Dogs tbh.

Their ceiling is higher and if they reach it are a chance.

They also are more inconsistent though and could shit the bed on Sunday.

Even money with the bookies and they usually know their stuff
You can usually assume that in the second week of the finals and beyond, that your pressure will be matched by the opposition.

When everyone brings pressure, it comes down to system. The final four all bring bring pressure and system.

So what separates teams in the end, is star players.

I think that's why I would have the Dogs ahead of the Hawks in the context of the OP's question.

Having said that, I'm still not sure that I trust the Bulldogs up against a team with a good system that can match their pressure. I'd probably argue that the Bulldogs' star players are why they're on fire, rather than their pressure and system. And that could be a problem come finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs or Hawks, who is better in 2024 and more of a premiership threat?

Back