Bulldogs revert to (almost) 1954 jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if its been posted, but here's the clash

Clash%20-%20Wallis%20MAIN.jpg

Regarding changing the name - how about "West Melbourne"?

I've always thought West Melbourne would have been a more appropriate name. Western seems a bit too ambiguous.
They will never revert back to Footscray because they are trying to appeal to the entire western suburbs of Melbourne. Given that there are no other clubs here I think it is a good idea.

I've always thought West Melbourne would have been a more appropriate name. Western seems a bit too ambiguous.
They will never revert back to Footscray because they are trying to appeal to the entire western suburbs of Melbourne. Given that there are no other clubs here I think it is a good idea.

'Western' might have been fine in a purely Vic competition, but doesn't quite work in a national one. I'm sure people realise that the suburban names of the Melbourne clubs do not have anywhere near the same meaning as they did in years past.

West Melbourne

Affiliated: VFA 1879-80 and 1899-1907
Home Ground: North Melbourne Cricket Ground
Formed: 1879
Colours: Red and white (Hoops)

Premierships: 1906 (1 total) (defeated Footscray)

West Melbourne

Affiliated: VFA 1879-80 and 1899-1907
Home Ground: North Melbourne Cricket Ground
Formed: 1879
Colours: Red and white (Hoops)

Premierships: 1906 (1 total) (defeated Footscray)

So the name has been defunct for over 100 years? It should be safe to use the name without causing confusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About time that the marketeers who design these jumpers have realised that the stylised designs such Ports lightning strike, the West Coast Eagle and the Bulldogs Bulldog just don't translate when viewed from a distance or on TV.

The simple designs have stood the test of time and really create an iconic look that supporters can bond with.

In comparison, take a look at the NRL jumpers which a just a mish-mash of colours and cluttered logos compared to the AFL jumpers.

Having said that, now jumpers are tighter, I think the next trend in the AFL will be to have jumpers with short sleeves similar to the NRL and soccer jersey.

These translate better as 'social' wear for supporters (ie. you can wear them out socially unlike the sleeveless AFL 'vest') and would mean more merchandising revenue for the clubs.

Great jumper, love the simplicity. I wish we would remove the Eagle from our jersey.

Now just rename back to Footscray and it will be marvelous.
Yeah I think your home jumper would look better without the eagle.

The current eagle just doesn't look as good on the jumper too detailed I think.

I think it's a fad at the moment for teams to go "traditional", cut down use of white in favour or darker colours, make the darker colours darker, and just try and make everything more bold and look tougher.

Collingwood going predominately black
Port's back in black
Freo's new jumper
Essendon straighten the stripe/sash
Carlton's navy blue gets darker
Saints narrow down the white stripe
Teams adding club logo to guernseys

And now bulldogs going oldschool

Only exception I can think of is Brisbane, hahaha

Yep. Great to see teams going back to their more traditional jumpers. I've never liked Collingwood's switched jumper, for example- white with black stripes and numbers looks much better, I think.

As for this change, great stuff. Now just change the name back to Footscray and it'll be even better!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs revert to (almost) 1954 jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back