Bulldogs_6

All Australian
Sep 5, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cavs, Browns, Red Sox
Here we are, in the preliminary final. Who would have thought after everyone was calling for Rocket's head after the loss to the Eagles!

We are definitely considered the underdogs, and for great reason. Our form against Brisbane was not spectacular, but we got through, and since it's a two horse race, we are always a chance. Here is my opinion in regards to Match Ups and Keys, for both teams.

Bulldogs Backline vs Saints forward line -
This is arguably where the game will be won and lost. Rocket really does need to get his match ups right. Lake MUST play at full back on Koschitzke, as it will be wasting his one on one and distribution abilities if he goes to Riewoldt. Riewoldt holds the key for this game for sure, so the tactics for the Dogs should be about keeping St. Nick out of the forward 50, as his delivery inside 50 is by no means midfield quality. The other match ups are not so crucial, as they will not be all about high marking and the like. The Bulldogs defensive 50 will be choked by a St Kilda zone, leaving it hard for the Bulldogs to get it out. Gilbee is the key in this department for the Dogs, along with Harbrow, as their foot skills and ability to find space has been a real key for the Dogs.

Match ups -
Lake vs Koschitzke, Morris and Hargrave/Williams (if fit) rotating on Riewoldt, Eddy vs Gilbee, Harbrow vs Milne, Schneider vs Hargrave.

Midfield
Engine room, another strength for both sides. If the midfield is head to head, Saints win the game. We cannot allow freedom for players like Dal Santo or Montagna as their delivery is amazing, and what players to deliver it to. Picken should take Montagna IMO possibly on the wing, and perhaps Boyd playing on Dal Santo and hurting him the other way, keeping him accountable etc etc. Jones on Cooney seems reasonable, as well as Cross head to head with Hayes.Through midfield rotations the Bulldogs have much more depth with their young talent, which may be a focal point if they are to succeed. Ward, Griffen, Higgins, Giansiracusa and possibly even Aker (stints) are more then serviceable as back up for the Dogs. The Doggies absolutely smashed the Lions for clearances the other night, and if this form can be taken into the game, they are every shot. As for the Saints, their midfield has held up throughout the whole year and been a focal point in their success, if one of Montagna and Dal Santo can have a real blinder, the Saints will be hard to beat. The ruck battle will be quite even, therefore no side should have real advantage over the other in this department. If Gardiner doesn't come up (?), then the Bulldogs should be really bullish with Huddo and Minson, as McEvoy will most likely come in, and will partner King. On the wings, Eagleton to play head to head with Ray, where Ray MUST keep Eagle accountable, as Eagle showed what he could do against the Lions, as well as Picken tagging Montagna.

Match ups (starting) -
Dal Santo vs Boyd, Montagna vs Picken, Jones vs Cooney, Hayes vs Cross, Eagleton vs Ray.

Bulldogs Forwards vs St Kilda Defence
Head to heads all over here, win for the Bulldogs. Players like Aker, Johnson, Higgins and Hahn will keep the Sainters (Fisher, Gram, Gilbert, Goddard) all accountable. The Bulldogs counter attacking play may or may not work in their favour. If their skills are up to scratch, they will hit Saints hard on the counter, with the pushed up Saints defence being exposed. However, it works both ways. If the Bulldogs forward line do not keep the Saints defenders accountable, they will be in for a rude shock and a 20 goal loss. The Saints defence possess amazing skills, headlined by Goddard. This has been a main contributor to their success, and if they aren't kept to average games, yet again, the Saints will win. Take your pick on the match ups, as I believe they will all be head to head, probably bar Dawson on Welsh, and Baker (if played down back) on Higgins/Aker/Johnson.

How the game will be played
The Saints will choke the life out of the Doggies, and the Doggies will look to prevent this through risks and elite foot skills. For the Saints, they must focus solely on pressure in the Doggies defensive half, and for the Bulldogs, they will be hell bent on above average skill level and making the most of opportunities. If Riewoldt takes a few early marks, expect him to dominate the rest of the game, with the Saints playing through him. Expect a game with plenty of stoppages, but also potential for fast breaks and supreme foot skills from both sides.

Prediction
As much as I hate to say it, the Saints by 15 points. IMO, they have been too good all season to let this one drop, and will focus on the pressure they maintained so well through the first 18-20 rounds. Riewoldt will be too good, and will kick a bag of 4+ and also with a handful of inside 50's from his leading up marking. However, in saying this, I'm not writing off the Dogs, particularly if their foot skills reach their potential. Though I think we will see a St Kilda, Geelong Grand Final. Whoever wins this game, I hope takes the flag.

All the best to both teams, come on Doggies :thumbsu:

Good post.

Don't agree that we didn't show much against Brisbane though, for three quarters of football we were in control and put them away in very tough conditions.

We are going to be under pressure when moving the ball forward like everyone is against the Saints, so one of the areas where we need to be diligent is blocking their counter attacks when the ball will inevitably be turned over and rebounded after entries into their defensive 50. We did it well against the Lions and with the Saints being a good spreading side when in possession, they can be vulnerable much like we can, if they don't execute their skills when trying to do so.

We will need to be disciplined for the entire game as well. Because of our mid sized forward line recless ball movement followed by lazy positional defending during St Kilda counter attacking will be punished. This happened against the Cats (QF) however we managed to get back into that game somewhat, but the Saints play a less forgiving defensive game style and won't allow us as many scoring opportunities.

I think our midfield isn't too far away from the Saints midfield. Both teams will be showing plenty of respect to the other though, and while it is the Bulldogs who are perceived to rely on quick and accurate ball movement going forward, the Saints can't afford not to take risks or get held up too often allowing the Bulldogs defenders to put numbers back.

If the Bulldogs can play high pressure football from the first bounce and maintain it, they could possibly get over the line. If they drop off at all, then they face an up hill battle to stay in the contest.

I detect too much respect and reverence for St Kilda both on this forum, amongst our supporters, and the media. Although, we lost on two occasions to the Saints this year and they have been the best performed team during the season, that is all simply history. The only thing that matters is our performance on Friday night.

It is in our hands. There has been consistent and significant improvement from a number of our players as the season has progressed. This has continued since the round 17 St Kilda Game.

The 2 two finals and the last few games of the Home and Away have hardened the team and we go into this game with a little more MCG experience and good form.

But more importantly, this is a preliminary final and the pressure is always higher then in a Home and Away game for both teams. Whilst, our game plan requires time and space to deliver into our forwards, there game plan requires numbers behind the ball setting up play from the half back. Both game plans will be tested severely.

If they want to squeeze the life out of the game, maybe we let them and keep it a low scoring slog. They know that if we are only 3 goals down at quarter time, as the players tire and space opens up, we will run all over the top of them. Maybe we go one on one, maybe we flood, maybe we go all out like Adelaide did against Collingwood from the first quarter. Non of it will matter because of the speed and pressure.

St Kilda is number one 1% and tackles. We match that and we win.

I have every confidence that the Bulldogs are a better football team. reivold and Kosi will take marks and kick goals, there back line will make it very difficult for us to score freely, and there mid fielders will probably break even. Non of it concerns me if we match them with their desperation.

This is the same team we beat twice last year, they just work harder at smothering, chasing, tackling, spoiling, shepherding, and bumping. We match that and our skills and speed will win the game.

I am already sick of the media hype about St Kilda, Geelong and even Collingwood super stars. There are a few boys down the kennel who deserve some more recognition. On Friday night they're coming to get it.

Win the stoppages, match their pressure when we don't have the ball, take our chances and we'll beat the saints! Simple....match preview done!

Win the stoppages, match their pressure when we don't have the ball, take our chances and we'll beat the saints! Simple....match preview done!

Exactly - win the midfield, win the game.

Riewoldt can take too many marks if we smash them in the middle. Rather than concentrating on who should blanket him, rotations, etc, we should just stick Morris on him, and then focus on obliterating the Saints in the centre.

Just do whatever it takes, and hope Boyd, Cooney, Cross, Griffen and Ward play the games of their lives.

GO DOGS.

Tim Callan should play on Milne to allow Harborw to run off half back.

Harbrows run is what was missing against geelong

Exactly - win the midfield, win the game.

Riewoldt can take too many marks if we smash them in the middle. Rather than concentrating on who should blanket him, rotations, etc, we should just stick Morris on him, and then focus on obliterating the Saints in the centre.

Just do whatever it takes, and hope Boyd, Cooney, Cross, Griffen and Ward play the games of their lives.

GO DOGS.

Great 'cut to the chase' summation Josh. :thumbsu:

Pressure on their ball carriers is the key. If we can win midfield we can win game. Extra attention should be put on creating lots of pressure on their players that are suspect to it and will turn it over thus creating opportunities to score such as Gram, Ray, Jones, Clarke, Ball, Eddy etc

I'm probably way off the mark...but i've always thought our 3 major rebounders are the key to us winning against the Saints. Gilbee and Hargrave will need to hit targets from the kick in, and Harbrow will need to get those little legs pumping.

If I recall Gilbee missed one of our encounters with the Saints this year? Correct me if i'm wrong.

We'l need to play fast, high risk footy to beat that strangling zone.

Had the game been scheduled to play at Etihad, or any other ground for that fact then I could agree on your outcome prediction of the Saints winning by 15 points.

However,

They're (Saints) playing the Dogs at the G, on Friday night. The Saints have not been convincing at the MCG this year, and on a Friday night with the open spaces, I have a feeling that the Dogs wil overun the Saints in the last quarter to win by 9 points, Had they be playing anywhere but the G on Friday night, I would have to back the Saints.

The Saints did beat Collingwood at the G, during the day, which they still looked unfavourable to the wide flanks.
The Dogs were their own worst enemy against the Cats at the G but in consideration, the Dogs will be playing their third game straight at the G, while it will be their 5th game out of the last 6 under lights.

I was confident about the Dogs beating the Lions last week, but against the Cats the week before I had a bad feeling that they would lose (based on a dream the Thursday night with them being down by 3 goals at 1/2 time). I said they would beat the Cats in round 21, and was confident against the Pies in round 22, which they did.

The Dogs will need to find and play that level of football they did against Geelong in Round 21, Collingwood in R22 and Brisbane last week, where they choked the opposition's ball suplly through the middle.

Having just recovered from what can only be described as a football-induced emotional coma, its become apparent to me that I'd love the Dawgs to win the flag this year.

I think its been shown that if you can match the Saints from early in the game with high pressure and gut-running to break the lines, they don't look so invincible. Essendon did it, and I see them as a sort of Bulldogs-lite.

I saw the Crows get annihilated by the Saints earlier this year after quarter time because they were able to belt us into submission (our defensive 50) for long periods. To beat the Saints you'll need to attack like a grand final depended on it.

Go the Doggies - you can do it! :thumbsu:

Tim Callan should play on Milne to allow Harborw to run off half back.

Harbrows run is what was missing against geelong

Yep needs to happen.
If nothing else, Just turn up with ferocity at the man and ball. Contest, chase, tackle and RUN, then its anyones game! Turn up lathargic, overawed and beaten mentally like the cats game and its over.
Our forward pressure needs to be on from the go. If theyre not clearing the ball from stoppages or their defensive 50 they cannot get the ball to rievolting and co.
We hav the skill, run and carry game to beat their zones. TAKE EM ON DOGS!!!

The idea was really about discussion on keys for both teams, and where the match will be won and lost.. and to provide a read for others on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a close game.

You would have +1 for the Saints midfield, +1 for Forward line and +1 for backline. But that counts for nothing on Friday, it's just another game. Dogs have the X factor and can pile on goals in a hurry. Very Dangerous side whereas we will try and strangle the life out of you and break down everything your trying to do and hurt on the rebound.

Breaking down the Dogs-

The keys to breaking down the dogs is to put pressure on them running the ball through the middle. Get in their face and stop the run and they will give a lollie pop handball over the top to a sitting duck team mate to get tackled. I've noticed this alot the more I watch them. Sometimes it pans out well and they break the lines and all of a sudden Cooney, Griffen or Eagleton are running into an open 50. But the Doggies do get caught up alot over-handballing. Saints have been super all year at rushing the player recieving the handball reading the 2nd, 3rd link in the chain to close in and wrap them up forcing a turnover.

Saints Forwards V Dogs Defence-

Also the the Twin Towers Reiwoldt and Kosichitzke are a nightmare for opposition teams capable of pulling in big pack marks. On the flip side Brian Lake can be a headache. Lost count of the number of goals he would have saved this year for you guys and I think he is your most Important player. Lake, Williams, Hargrave and Morris are no slouches. Last time we kept Lake out of the equation and Kosi wasn't playing. Kosi has to make him play tight and not peel off to relieve his team mates, takes way too many marks in defence for my likeing and he must be nullified and made accountable. Kosi will play as close to the goal sqaure as possible. Expect McQualter to play a defensive role on Gilbee or even Harbrow. Contested footy and tackling will prevail, as our theme all year. Milne and Schnieder haven't had a bag in recent weeks so I hope they can slot a few goals each on Friday. If they fire then we are hot.

Midfields-

Midfield battle will be tough all night. My main worries are Eagleton and Griffen on the Wings. Griffen can be a bit mad hatter with the footy turning it over whereas Eagleton is pretty smooth and Dangerous on that left foot. He had way to much space last Friday night standing on the outer side by himself with a paddock in front of him. Ross Lyon will not let him play his own game, he will be monitered I'm sure as a gamebreaker for the Dogs. Cooney will wear C. Jones as will Picken, on whom I don't know. Dal and Joey have been tagged most of the time.

Saints Defence V Dogs forward line-

Baker to Akermanis
Gilbert to Higgins
Dawson to Welsh
Blake to Hahn
Fisher to Johnson
Clarke/Dempster to Murphy

Not completely happy with the Dawson matchup or the Raphael Clarke matchup on Murphy. Won't be surprised to see Max come in to take a Welsh or Murphy. Goddard, Ray, Dal Santo and Gram will drop back and chop out.

The Loose Man-

Guarantee we will see a loose man at either end. Saints will likely go with Sammy Fisher who racked up 42 touches in defence against Collingwood and plenty of marks from opposition kicks. If Dogs check him then Gilbert or Goddard will play the role.

For the Dogs they would ideally have Lake floating around taking mark after mark but he may be forced onto Kosi just to match him for size at Full back. Gilbee or Hargrave will do the job for the dogs. Gilbee doing as Goddard does just sweeping across half back or Hargrave playing same drop back role as Sammy Fisher. Who usually Plays loose man for you guys?

Good Luck......................(not to much though)

Should be a close game.

The Loose Man-

Guarantee we will see a loose man at either end. Saints will likely go with Sammy Fisher who racked up 42 touches in defence against Collingwood and plenty of marks from opposition kicks. If Dogs check him then Gilbert or Goddard will play the role.

For the Dogs they would ideally have Lake floating around taking mark after mark but he may be forced onto Kosi just to match him for size at Full back. Gilbee or Hargrave will do the job for the dogs. Gilbee doing as Goddard does just sweeping across half back or Hargrave playing same drop back role as Sammy Fisher. Who usually Plays loose man for you guys?

Good Luck......................(not to much though)

Scotty Welsh has been recently. I can defiantly seeing him doing it on Friday night going third man up against Kosi and Riewoldt. I don't mind Welshy in this roll because he reads the play well and had great hands

For someone reason im REALLY confident this week. I have no nagging feeling there will be no next week, im purely sold that we will get up in what will be an absolute RIPPER of a game.

I dont know why, but i just am very confident

Predictions:

Cooney will have 34 touches, followed by Boyd with 29 and Crossy 27
Goals will come through Aker (4), Johnno (3) and Wardy (3)
Riewoldt will kick 2, and be well held by our defence very well. Milne will bob up for 4 though.

Predictions mean nothing, but those stats are just screaming out at me.

Watch this space if im right.. :p

I'm really nervous about tomorrow night. Cannot think about anything else.

I am just excited that I will be able to watch the match live on ESPN360.com. I'll be staying up all night after my radio commitment at 2.45am to watch the match at 4.30am. Only one more sleep...:p

I'm really nervous about tomorrow night. Cannot think about anything else.

This is our chance.

We managed to stuff it up last year, but I honestly think this is our time.

Forget about the odds, the tipsters and all that crap, if the players go out their with enough belief in themselves and their mates they can move mountains.

GO DOGS!!!!!!!!!!

Nice dream but with Minno now having not trained either Tuesday or today, there's a chance he might not be there to slot that goal. Hoping he comes up though as we need two big bodied ruckmen this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs vs Saints Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back