Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not writing him off. Like what he has done.

But suggestion he has a higher ceiling than Benny J or is another Gav C makes for disappointment when he turns out to be a "just" solid Collingwood footballer. Crossica played the 15th most games in Pie history and Benny 18th. They were serious footballers. Let this kid find his feet before we hang those expectations on him.
Nothing wrong with predictions mate, who knows, they could be right, if not who cares.

The most encouraging thing about Poulter is he has a raking left foot and plays with dare. Sick of watching Collingwood with too many safe short kicking possession merchants.
Thank God for Chris Scott because I think he has finally put a nail in the coffin of slow, possession football, it doesn't stack up anymore against the really good sides

Too early to tell, thing I like is he has height and is a left footer. Can find it abit when playing well.

We definitely need quality coming through.
Heavily into footy and cricket now basketball. NBA is a much easier time of spotting and evaluating talent on key metrics.

There’s a long depth and range of playable footy players along with a sized list.
So recycling and moving players for better picks and better/established players should be the name of the game moving forward.

KPF’s get drafted too high and elite small forwards too low still today, everything else falls in between.

We do have 5-6 of excess that has to go imo.

Quality > Quantity especially positional wise.

Not writing him off. Like what he has done.

But suggestion he has a higher ceiling than Benny J or is another Gav C makes for disappointment when he turns out to be a "just" solid Collingwood footballer. Crossica played the 15th most games in Pie history and Benny 18th. They were serious footballers. Let this kid find his feet before we hang those expectations on him.
There's a difference between expectations and hope. We hope that he can be as good as Crossisca or Johnson. Whereas it appears that you expect him to be ordinary because of where he was drafted. It's a bit rich to tell us to let him find his feet when you have been projecting all our 2020 draftees to be average at best before they even arrived at the club.

I'm sure deep down that you do hope he does better but atm it seems like your default position is to be flat about all the draftees based on your "not top 10 picks" theory and general resentment at the 2020 off season. Now it looks like you want everyone else to have the same Buzz Killington outlook towards them. What is actually wrong thinking that a player has a high ceiling? If they don't turn out great, so what? You're not saving any supporters heartache by telling them not to be optimistic and you sure aren't doing the rookies any favours by telling them that they are probably going to be average.

There's a difference between expectations and hope. We hope that he can be as good as Crossisca or Johnson. Whereas it appears that you expect him to be ordinary because of where he was drafted. It's a bit rich to tell us to let him find his feet when you have been projecting all our 2020 draftees to be average at best before they even arrived at the club.

I'm sure deep down that you do hope he does better but atm it seems like your default position is to be flat about all the draftees based on your "not top 10 picks" theory and general resentment at the 2020 off season. Now it looks like you want everyone else to have the same Buzz Killington outlook towards them. What is actually wrong thinking that a player has a high ceiling? If they don't turn out great, so what? You're not saving any supporters heartache by telling them not to be optimistic and you sure aren't doing the rookies any favours by telling them that they are probably going to be average.
I can accept my balance has been off in the last 12 months and I did really hate and struggle with what we did over the the 2020 off season. Hower individually I do have great hopes for Poulter and the rest but less expectation than some. I think you are taking my top 10/20 theory too individually. It doesnt relate individual players but rather the difficulty of building a compeditive list with no access to top 10 players and minimal to the top 20 when almost every other club has that (last 6 drafts). Doesnt mean individuals that are picked outside the top 20 cant have high ceilings.

I am much happier with the 2019/20 class than you believe I am. Maybe taking too much notice of my previous posting. I am not putting any limit on Poulter , he could potentially go far but there is a pretty wide range of possibilities still with all these kids. I am cautioning the idea that any of them are already established. I also balance more towards belief in our older stalwarts than most. WHE, Sidey even Thomas are still ahead of the kidsfor now. I am hopeful we get a star or 3 from this group including Nick D who could be anything and then some more best 22. Three most likely for me are Henry, Macrae and Ginnivan. Balance is I look at Dogs, Demons, Power and Lions for a start and see how good their kids are it makes you realise the big rebuild task we have

I can accept my balance has been off in the last 12 months and I did really hate and struggle with what we did over the the 2020 off season. Hower individually I do have great hopes for Poulter and the rest but less expectation than some. I think you are taking my top 10/20 theory too individually. It doesnt relate individual players but rather the difficulty of building a compeditive list with no access to top 10 players and minimal to the top 20 when almost every other club has that (last 6 drafts). Doesnt mean individuals that are picked outside the top 20 cant have high ceilings.

I am much happier with the 2019/20 class than you believe I am. Maybe taking too much notice of my previous posting. I am not putting any limit on Poulter , he could potentially go far but there is a pretty wide range of possibilities still with all these kids. I am cautioning the idea that any of them are already established. I also balance more towards belief in our older stalwarts than most. WHE, Sidey even Thomas are still ahead of the kidsfor now. I am hopeful we get a star or 3 from this group including Nick D who could be anything and then some more best 22. Three most likely for me are Henry, Macrae and Ginnivan. Balance is I look at Dogs, Demons, Power and Lions for a start and see how good their kids are it makes you realise the big rebuild task we have
Agree - I also really struggled with HOW we went about end of 2020 but remaining positive about the the boys that have come in.
Having to take the picks we did for the players we lost hurt but I was furious at the way the club "sold" it to us.
Hope they all make it / hope at least one becomes a jet

I still shudder to think what our list would look like if a bid had come for Reef at 11 by the crows.
(or even GWS at 15/18)

There's a difference between expectations and hope. We hope that he can be as good as Crossisca or Johnson. Whereas it appears that you expect him to be ordinary because of where he was drafted.

Where being Drafted is not everything as been lot of Guns that where not top 10 Draft Picks

With Nick Daicos and Lipinski coming in, I don't see him getting much game time next year. I think he's on a wing or bust and there's only 2 of those spots available. McInnes also looks a better prospect to me with his size, speed and toughness.

Diacos is small for a wing and Lipinksi is a wait and see. Poulter did show abit so it’s too early to come to any conclusions on him.

The one on the outer should be Sier. He’s had plenty of time to establish himself as an integral part going forward but hasn’t. This year was make or break and he was way off the mark.

With Nick Daicos and Lipinski coming in, I don't see him getting much game time next year. I think he's on a wing or bust and there's only 2 of those spots available. McInnes also looks a better prospect to me with his size, speed and toughness.

He will certainly be getting games next year....McRae will be playing the kids

Diacos is small for a wing and Lipinksi is a wait and see. Poulter did show abit so it’s too early to come to any conclusions on him.

The one on the outer should be Sier. He’s had plenty of time to establish himself as an integral part going forward but hasn’t. This year was make or break and he was way off the mark.

Dude seriously his surname is Daicos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top-five most distance covered per game in 2021

Jack Crisp, 14.42km
Steele Sidebottom, 14.09km
Will Hoskin-Elliott, 13.81km
Isaac Quaynor, 13.52km
Caleb Poulter, 13.36km

Top-five most distance covered in a game in 2021

Jack Crisp, R10 v PA, 15.80km
Jack Crisp, R12 v Adel, 15.48km
Caleb Poulter, R13 v Melb, 15.25km
Will Hoskin-Elliott, R10 v PA, 15.21km
Steele Sidebottom, R21 v Haw, 15.17km

Quite a Good Effort by Poulter to be in Top 5 of Distance Covered in his Rookie Season

Dont understand the pessimism here. Kid definitely showed signs. Did no-one see the Adelaide game?

First year player, after covid delays, light build, away from home, and still managed 11 games in the seniors. More than 90% of first year players.

Michael Tuck played his first three years in the reserves as a skinny forward then winger, before finding his feet as a ruck rover in the seniors. Rest was history. Not a dissimilar player.

Point is, its way too early to tell. Once he fills out though, he will be very handy imo. Can find the footy, great kick, runs all day, decision making good, attacks the game. Exactly what we need.

I haven't seen too much pessimism.

Dont understand the pessimism here. Kid definitely showed signs. Did no-one see the Adelaide game?

First year player, after covid delays, light build, away from home, and still managed 11 games in the seniors. More than 90% of first year players.

Michael Tuck played his first three years in the reserves as a skinny forward then winger, before finding his feet as a ruck rover in the seniors. Rest was history. Not a dissimilar player.

Point is, its way too early to tell. Once he fills out though, he will be very handy imo. Can find the footy, great kick, runs all day, decision making good, attacks the game. Exactly what we need.

Hell be a 200 plus gamer imo. Has talent and in another few preseasons will be one of our better players.

Yep I thought that too, the other thing that struck me was how little our players ran in comparison to other teams!

What amazes me is that in the 00s A.Rocca was lambasted for running 11-13km a game.

Now mids are only hitting 13km to 16km.

Imagine Buckley out there now running his 20km and 5km at sprint pace....

He'd rack up 50 disposals a game cause no one could go with him.

What amazes me is that in the 00s A.Rocca was lambasted for running 11-13km a game.

Now mids are only hitting 13km to 16km.

Imagine Buckley out there now running his 20km and 5km at sprint pace....

He'd rack up 50 disposals a game cause no one could go with him.
It's a completely anecdotal idea that I've talked about with some, but I wonder if the massive amount of interchanges in the modern game has made irrelevant the endurance runner. Or rather the super elite endurance runners. Modern AFL athletes seem built for powerful bursts from each contest, with as many spells as they want - unless they're a defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back