Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Poults has shown bits and pieces but nowhere near enough to make a definitive judgement on his ceiling.

Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise simply love the sound of their own voice.

None of the Draftees also Have not done that Yet.

Can take 50+ Games to start to get a Better Idea

The Bit I seen makes me he has the IT Factor but no Gurantee yet

I don’t think any of his apparent weaknesses are anything that won’t improve with experience and time in the gym. He’s good at pretty much all the aspects required to be a top line wing. Strong grab, good height, quick enough, raking left boot and has shown bravery is not going to be an issue either. A good pick up.

I like him but at this stage I haven’t seen anything to say he’ll elevate himself above “useful foot-soldier” level.

The mere fact that he was able to acquit himself in seniors in his debut season is a good indicator that he may have more to give, however.

I think of him as a 5cm taller version of Isaac Smith. That’s a pretty handy addition. Would be more of a weapon when forward due to his overhead marking. He stretches well and is already reported to be 193cm (which is taller than Mihocek).

I like him but at this stage I haven’t seen anything to say he’ll elevate himself above “useful foot-soldier” level.

The mere fact that he was able to acquit himself in seniors in his debut season is a good indicator that he may have more to give, however.
None of the Rookies games this year where not over Special at AFL Level. Solid but not much more

None of the Rookies games this year where not over Special at AFL Level. Solid but not much more
I think if you look at the last block of games from Macrae and Henry you'd say they were pretty good. Probably what you'd expect from first-round picks

If he can be as good as Benny J or Gav C would be outstanding. They are 200+ game players, who finished high up in B&Fs , state games and got Brownlow votes. Even Toovs like would be great

It’s high expectations at this stage though. Had a good 1st year but needs to bed down a best 22 spot as his next step on the pathway. We are getting a bit overexcited with some of the kids counting them as definite AFL players before time. At this stage even being as good as say Blair or Thomas in team contribution is still a step up

Give him a chance before we ramp up expectation too much

If he can be as good as Benny J or Gav C would be outstanding. They are 200+ game players, who finished high up in B&Fs , state games and got Brownlow votes. Even Toovs like would be great

It’s high expectations at this stage though. Had a good 1st year but needs to bed down a best 22 spot as his next step on the pathway. We are getting a bit overexcited with some of the kids counting them as definite AFL players before time. At this stage even being as good as say Blair or Thomas in team contribution is still a step
up

Give him a chance before we ramp up expectation too much
I'd rather be excited about what he could be than automatically writing him off because he wasn't a top 10 pick.

The most encouraging thing about Poulter is he has a raking left foot and plays with dare. Sick of watching Collingwood with too many safe short kicking possession merchants.

Dont understand the pessimism here. Kid definitely showed signs. Did no-one see the Adelaide game?

First year player, after covid delays, light build, away from home, and still managed 11 games in the seniors. More than 90% of first year players.

Michael Tuck played his first three years in the reserves as a skinny forward then winger, before finding his feet as a ruck rover in the seniors. Rest was history. Not a dissimilar player.

Point is, its way too early to tell. Once he fills out though, he will be very handy imo. Can find the footy, great kick, runs all day, decision making good, attacks the game. Exactly what we need.

Poults has shown bits and pieces but nowhere near enough to make a definitive judgement on his ceiling.

Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise simply love the sound of their own voice.
Reminds me of some of the judgment on Sier. Though Sier had application problems which I havent heard of with Caleb, so high hopes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of some of the judgment on Sier. Though Sier had application problems which I havent heard of with Caleb, so high hopes.

Sier does not have the Want for It while you hear how hard of a Worker Poulter is and Gives you hope he can make the Potential into Perfomance

Same as those who seem to want to put limits on his potential.

Promising first year despite the fade, and has attributes that mean he could be good, if not very good. We all just need to sit back and watch all of these kids for a number of seasons before making bold predictions, good or bad

I don’t think any of his apparent weaknesses are anything that won’t improve with experience and time in the gym. He’s good at pretty much all the aspects required to be a top line wing. Strong grab, good height, quick enough, raking left boot and has shown bravery is not going to be an issue either. A good pick up.
I actually think his biggest weakness is his kicking - which is hard to improve.

Does seem to have a decent ceiling tho, hopefully develops into a player similar to Menegola on a wing, where you can play around that side of the ground and have a winger that's actually competent around stoppages.

Menegola's performance in the most recent finals was lacking yes... but you can't deny he was one of the best outside mid in the comp this year.

I am sick and tired of so called supporters who come on here and only bag every player on our list.
Even the first year players.
What do you expect?
Petracca took 5 years to be the player he is.
Stop being so negative.
Otherwise stop being a supporter.

Poults has got plenty to work on and the "development coaches" are gonna have a lot of fun with this colt.
He need to be taught how to run (meaning RUN....not skip and dawdle) because he often skips left before he surges. Once he can run a bit more efficiently they need to work on a "right foot" (I swear he has one somewhere)....and then they can start on the weights!
He won't be fully grown (into that frame) for another 18 months to two years so he'll continue to bound around like a young horse...but he definitely HAS something. He can find the ball and he can kick a goal when its needed. I look forward to seeing him when he fills out.

He’s got something about him, loves it hard and tough, cult hero with his hair too.

Hine nailed that draft, and he was ****ing due to nail one too.

I'd rather be excited about what he could be than automatically writing him off because he wasn't a top 10 pick.
Not writing him off. Like what he has done.

But suggestion he has a higher ceiling than Benny J or is another Gav C makes for disappointment when he turns out to be a "just" solid Collingwood footballer. Crossica played the 15th most games in Pie history and Benny 18th. They were serious footballers. Let this kid find his feet before we hang those expectations on him.

I am sick and tired of so called supporters who come on here and only bag every player on our list.
Even the first year players.
What do you expect?
Petracca took 5 years to be the player he is.
Stop being so negative.
Otherwise stop being a supporter.
I don't think I've read any comments that I would call overall negative. I think everyone has suggested they think he'll be a senior player.

My bet is in about 18 months time he will have shown good development and be a regular, at which point heaps of the really positive posters now will have jumped off him. Because he'll be judged as a senior player by then, but will still be a developing kid who makes mistakes and they'll be spruiking the next 18 year old. He'll then continue to develop and win back over some of his critics. - The Tom Langdon bigfooty curve.

I don't think I've read any comments that I would call overall negative. I think everyone has suggested they think he'll be a senior player.

My bet is in about 18 months time he will have shown good development and be a regular, at which point heaps of the really positive posters now will have jumped off him. Because he'll be judged as a senior player by then, but will still be a developing kid who makes mistakes and they'll be spruiking the next 18 year old. He'll then continue to develop and win back over some of his critics. - The Tom Langdon bigfooty curve.

Na, not proclaiming every draftee to the club as the 2nd coming is being negative nowadays. Even if you say they'll be a good long-term player it's still not enough for some, bizarre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back