Cameron Mooney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a handy player but he's no star and should not have gotten AA last year.

He's a handy tall forward in an exceptional team.

Put him in a middle of the road team and he would not go well.

Agree. And if he was playing for Melbourne he wouldn't kick more than 30 for the year.

No more than a solid player

mooney is a elite key forward who deserved his AA spot.people who keep on saying he only looks good because of geelongs midfield, ever thought its a 2 way thing and that mooney helps make geelongs midfield look good.

the fact that geelong kicked 300 points more than any other sides last year is largely due to mooneys credit.

as for all those people who keep on saying that mooney only got AA because of all the geelong hype dont you think that just maybe the thought entered the AA selectors minds to not just pick mooney because he plays for geelong ?

mooney is a elite key forward who deserved his AA spot.people who keep on saying he only looks good because of geelongs midfield, ever thought its a 2 way thing and that mooney helps make geelongs midfield look good.

the fact that geelong kicked 300 points more than any other sides last year is largely due to mooneys credit.

as for all those people who keep on saying that mooney only got AA because of all the geelong hype dont you think that just maybe the thought entered the AA selectors minds to not just pick mooney because he plays for geelong ?

Mooney kicked somewhere around 67 goals last season I think. For a team that scored so much and only lost 3 games, he really should have kicked more.

Mooney kicked somewhere around 67 goals last season I think. For a team that scored so much and only lost 3 games, he really should have kicked more.

HE WAS CENTRE HALF FORWARD!! He had Johnson kick 49, N Ablett 34, Stokes 32, Chapman 30, G Ablett 30, Ling 28 and Ottens 20. He did not play like a Fevola, Gherig, A Rocca and nor did we want him to. Have some freaking perspective people.

Can't believe this thread has gone on so long. Its pretty simple really. Mooneys a pretty good player who benefits from playing in a super strong team. He works hards and is a good focal point. He played very well in the grand final. Any team in the league would have a guaranteed spot for him.

Now is he a standout player who can do the exceptional? Probably not in my book. I would take Lucas, Buddy, Pavlich, Richo and Riewoldt without any discussion over Mooney and it wouldn't be a close decision.

As for Scarlett v Mooney i'm pretty sure Scarlett would win that matchup 10/10 times. Considering he has had a much worse year than last year I was surprised he was playing.

laughed my self silly when i found out mooney was in the AA side

ps geelong supports lucas is a 10 times better player than mooney (biggest i love my self dud in the world) and i hate essendon more than anyone..

is johns and mooney related ???

laughed my self silly when i found out mooney was in the AA side

ps geelong supports lucas is a 10 times better player than mooney (biggest i love my self dud in the world) and i hate essendon more than anyone..

is johns and mooney related ???

Now which recently retired player had the nickname FIGJAM because he was so far up himself ?

*Hint* - he left Brisbane so he could play in a Premiership team :p

dumb thread

mooney isnt greatest chf ever by any stretch of the imagination. But he deserved his aa spot last year and deserved selection last night.

Had a bad game but so? someone was always going to. He did have the best defender in scarlett on him a lot.

Mooney provides a strong presence in the cats forward line and is one of the gutsiest players in the league. His effort agains us in their 05 semi final loss for instance was huge and he was going on empty but kept going and going. He is a good lead and mark, great kick, what more can he do?

great player and would into most sides best 22 with ease

What amuses me are that the same flogs knocking Cam Mooney are the same ones telling us he's our most important player and Geelong is screwed if he goes down with an injury. You don't lose anything from your side if a dud gets injured do you?

It's just nice to see opposition supporters weeping and wailing in the wake of our dominant last 12 months :D

I don't like the argument that Scarlett played on him. If an AA forward gets completely towelled by an AA defender then it shows that he really shouldn't have been out there.

Scarlett towelled Bradshaw the week before too (he got 3 disposals), but no one questioned him playing this week. Scarlett has also towelled many AA forwards before.

Ling towelled Kerr last year, but Kerr still made the AA team, along with Ling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the last few posts here mean Geelong fans have won the argument? Yes i think they have. He played on Scarlett FFS, no one beats him.
Diablo you are spot on with all these same people bagging Mooney saying how would Geelong go with injuries eg when Mooney goes out. Their usual answer is we would be back with the pack.
I now realise how incredibly stupid non Geelong fans are. or is it just jealousy that gets in the way?
Geelong fans > The rest. What an insight this thread has been. What an incredible attack on one player by sooo many people. Over the top much?

Scarlett was one of the best on for Victoria. When is the last time any forward actually beat Scarlett. Mooney was always going to get towled by him. Moons will kick a bag this week to prove everyone wrong about him.

HE WAS CENTRE HALF FORWARD!! He had Johnson kick 49, N Ablett 34, Stokes 32, Chapman 30, G Ablett 30, Ling 28 and Ottens 20. He did not play like a Fevola, Gherig, A Rocca and nor did we want him to. Have some freaking perspective people.

That's right, Geelong doesn't need him to provide as much as Robertson, Lucas or Ebert and he didn't.

this Mooney is lucky to be AA argument is not based on one exhibition game, have a read through last years AA threads, he's the first one named as being extremely fortunate. It's not even a Geelong jealousy/tall poppy situation either because out of the 22 Geelong players in the AA team he was the only one really questioned, bar Egan and I personally picked Egan.

I would have had less issue with Ottens slotting in for Mooney, Mooney was merely an average player in a very good team.

2007 was Mooney's best year by an absolute mile. Considering it was his ninth year you can understand that posters say its more about the service he was getting from a dominant midfield than some sudden improvement in his from. Where was his AA form in the previous 9 years.

He's very important to Geelong's forward structure and got the best defender so made it easier for the likes of Nabblett and ottens when he went forward. He was lucky to get his AA last year while riding on the coattails of a dominant midfield and its hardly surprising he's down on from again this year while the Cats midfield hasn't dominated. Good solid player but not in the elite category as you'd expect and AA to be.

Youd expect an A.A, to be a walk up start in any team, he wouldnt get a gig at most teams at CHF or FF, I dont understand his selection at all!

Youd expect an A.A, to be a walk up start in any team, he wouldnt get a gig at most teams at CHF or FF, I dont understand his selection at all!

More ignorant garbage. He'd certainly make the Swans right now if they're starting Henry Playfair. Hawthorn and Brisbane may be the only teams that would not be pretty keen on him.

A.A selection would suggest hes the best, but FFS, hes not even close!

AA selection would suggest he had a huge individual year and was very important/valuable to the highest scoring team in the comp. Look he was selected on the wrong line. If he was anywhere it should have been CHF (which he should not have been over Pav/Riewoldt last year imo), bench or nothing. Not his fault that he was and I can accept their may have been a couple of better candidates at deep forward but suggesting they were miles better or he was average been made to look good, etc is complete rubbish.

2007 was Mooney's best year by an absolute mile. Considering it was his ninth year you can understand that posters say its more about the service he was getting from a dominant midfield than some sudden improvement in his from. Where was his AA form in the previous 9 years.

He's very important to Geelong's forward structure and got the best defender so made it easier for the likes of Nabblett and ottens when he went forward. He was lucky to get his AA last year while riding on the coattails of a dominant midfield and its hardly surprising he's down on from again this year while the Cats midfield hasn't dominated. Good solid player but not in the elite category as you'd expect and AA to be.

Re the bit in bold:

Mooney in 2007 after seven rounds: 18 goals 9 behinds 55 marks

Mooney in 2008 after seven rounds: 14 goals 15 behinds 52 marks

Apart from the inaccurate kicking, not too much difference.

Re the bit in bold:

Mooney in 2007 after seven rounds: 18 goals 9 behinds 55 marks

Mooney in 2008 after seven rounds: 14 goals 15 behinds 52 marks

Apart from the inaccurate kicking, not too much difference.

The scoring shots and marks may be comparable but Mooney has not been as influential/effective this year. Big reason for him falling into arguing with umpires again in the early rounds. His last 3 or 4 games have been better.

67 goals in a premiership year.
Lance Franklin - 73 goals in a non permiership year having played less games and about 8 yrs younger. Now who should have got the AA??

Is 5 goals in a 119 point thrashing anything to write home about.
Any CHF worth their salt will kick 4 on a quite day in a thrashing like that.

Mooney is a good player in a very good/great side. Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back